PDA

View Full Version : not just a one-two punch! nanomolecules multitask

Lani
01-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Homing nanoparticles pack multiple assault on tumors: Mimicking platelets' clotting action ensures greater tumor-homing efficacy [Burnham Institute for Medical Research]
(La Jolla, CA) A collaborative team led by Erkki Ruoslahti, M.D., Ph.D., of the Burnham Institute for Medical Research at UC Santa Barbara (Burnham) has developed nanoparticles that seek out tumors and bind to their blood vessels, and then attract more nanoparticles to the tumor target. Using this system the team demonstrated that the homing nanoparticle could be used to deliver a "payload" of an imaging compound, and in the process act as a clotting agent, obstructing as much as 20% of the tumor blood vessels. These findings are pending publication in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences and will be made available at the journal's website during the week of January 8, 2007.

The promise of nanomedicine is based on the fact that a particle can perform more functions than a drug. Multifuncionality is demonstrated in the current study, in which researchers from Burnham, UC San Diego, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology designed a nanoparticle that combined tumor-homing, self-amplification of the homing, obstructing tumor blood flow, and imaging.

and the abstract:

Biomimetic amplification of nanoparticle homing to tumors [Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences]
Nanoparticle-based diagnostics and therapeutics hold great promise because multiple functions can be built into the particles. One such function is an ability to home to specific sites in the body. We describe here biomimetic particles that not only home to tumors, but also amplify their own homing. The system is based on a peptide that recognizes clotted plasma proteins and selectively homes to tumors, where it binds to vessel walls and tumor stroma. Iron oxide nanoparticles and liposomes coated with this tumor-homing peptide accumulate in tumor vessels, where they induce additional local clotting, thereby producing new binding sites for more particles. The system mimics platelets, which also circulate freely but accumulate at a diseased site and amplify their own accumulation at that site. The self-amplifying homing is a novel function for nanoparticles. The clotting-based amplification greatly enhances tumor imaging, and the addition of a drug carrier function to the particles is envisioned.

Joy
01-26-2007, 11:58 AM
wondered, although an ambitious person would prabably find the complete article, when would this be available for trials, or is it and I need to do my homework? Thank you for any thoughts.

Lani
01-26-2007, 03:21 PM
I also read in today's Wall St. Journal that charities are starting give funds to drug companies rather than academic researchers to try to decrease the time it takes to bring more of these laboratory studies to become useful drugs available to doctors to prescribe.

I like to think that scientific advances like the one I posted if nothing else, provide hope.

Perhaps I am "Polly-anna"ish in that attitude.

Lani