PDA

View Full Version : Fish Oil may help with apoptosis--may help chemotherapy work better

Kaye
11-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Thought this might be of interest to some:
http://www.leaonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/S15327914NC4601_06?cookieSet=1&journalCode=nc

Apparently fish oil reduces "bcl-2"* Reducing bcl-2 may enhance chemotherapy drugs (see below).*
The next article talks about a new medication that enhances chemotherapy by blocking "bcl-2"* If thinking about taking fish oil, see my note at bottom.* Also, it is good idea to discuss w/dr's any complementary and alternatives that are taken.

http://www.formkit.com/Daily/DailyDetail.cfm?chosen=64873
" About Genasense
Genasense inhibits production of Bcl-2, a protein made by cancer cells that is thought to block chemotherapy-induced apoptosis (programmed cell death). By reducing the amount of Bcl-2 in cancer cells, Genasense may enhance the effectiveness of current anticancer treatment. Genta is pursuing a broad clinical development program with Genasense evaluating its potential to treat various forms of cancer."
"Source: Genta Incorporated"
*COQ10 was recommended to me by one of my dr's as we were reviewing my medications. He recommended it after I told him that rather than increasing Lovastatin (because I was getting muscle cramps), I had added fish oil to my diet.* I thought he suggested the COQ10 because of the muscle cramps from the Lovastating UNTIL a few days later when I just happened to be listening to our local talk radio station and Dr. Dean Edell came on as a guest for a 5-minute blurb to talk about fish oil.* He said, normally, it is not a problem unless someone has a cardiac issue (I think he specifically mentioned congestive heart failiure) and indicated that in those it might cause heart palpitations.** My response--aha--so that was why the dr. (who happened to be a neurologist) may have recommended it.* Interestingly, I have never been dx'd with congestive heart failure.* In fact, even though I had a congenital murmer, my heart is strong.* I have had lower leg swelling of unknown cause.* And, I did notice initially what I thought was possible heart palpitations that coincided with taking fish oil but never even thought it was related.* I added the COQ10 and haven't had any more problem.

heblaj01
11-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Kaye.

A more likely reason why you got a recommandation to take C0Q10 is that it is well known that statin drugs deplete CoQ10 in the heart muscle thus endangering its health.
It is somewhat an irony that the same drugs that are supposed to prevent cardiovascular poblems by reducing bad cholesterol LDL may at the same time increase the risk of heart failure

Kaye
11-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I had wondered about how a statin drug might affect the heart since it can cause muscle cramps, and the heart is a muscle. I did ask my onc about that after he had initially increased (quadrupled) statin dose last summer. He indicated that was interesting thought but hadn't heard anything about it having any negative effect. The higher statin dose caused major leg cramps, but nothing heart related--at least as far as I was aware. I have been on the Lovastatin for over 3 years without any known negative side effects. The feeling of sudden increased heart rate that I felt, however, started just after I began taking the fish oil. Since I have been taking the COQ10, those sensations subsided.

jhandley
11-11-2006, 03:37 AM
Recent research has shown that coenzmye Q 10 's anticancer effect is due to its interaction with the bcl-2 gene. If you search under Q10 you should be able to find the article.
Jackie

Lani
11-11-2006, 05:02 AM
the heart is made of smooth muscle as are the linings of arteries,the uterus and the bladder

the muscles that work on the skeletal system, your breathing muscles, facial expression muscles, eye muscles, etc are striated muscles and work differently, are affected differently by medications and other compounds.

That is why they can paralyze a patient's (striated) muscles during surgery or when a patient is on a ventilator, yet the patient's heart keeps beating

Hope this helps!