PDA

View Full Version : When to add herceptin with hormonal?

mkiley
01-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Hello, this is my first time on this forum. I was diagnosed with probable inflammatory breast cancer in June 2002. ER/PR+ and HER2+++.
Had 2 rounds of CAF when we found bone mets. Switched to femara/zometa/zoladex....stable for over 2 years.....now some bone progression, so time to change to new hormonal....aromasin or faslodex......any thoughts on whether to add herceptin at this time?
Thank you!!!!!!!!!! Mary Anne

Ron, Cyndi's Husband
01-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Mkiley,

With progression beyond the breast, it is now Metastatic Breast Cancer, and should qualify you for more aggressive treatment protocol. Stage IV, HER2, MBC is what Herceptin was designed for. I do not understand why an Onc. would not make that a priority choice. Perhaps there are issues I do not know about, but I think now is the time to begin getting pushy with the Doc. at least get a second opinion!

God Bless You,
ron

Sandy H.
01-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Welcome to our board! You will find a great group of caring, proactive and knowdgeable people. Each person is unque and you will find a great wealth of valuable information. I think Ron is right on target by saying now is the time to get aggressive. Usually, Herceptin is added following a recurrence. I am sure others will be posting. Good luck to you, hugs, Sandy

Lyn
01-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi there and welcome, I don't understand oncology, here is herceptin which isn't cytoxic yet they are willing to put all the other space junk in our bodies first. I think they need to look outside the square and realise that we are HER2 for a reason, meaning we need Herceptin to get rid of it, my choice would be Herceptin and another synergeric drug (works with it) and perhaps even another if necessary, it is all a guessing game getting it right, in the long run I don't believe Herceptin is as bad as they say, I have been doing this since 1998 I had a prognosis of 2-3years a cery agressive BC at that stage, and before I had heard of Herceptin so I had the usual protocol AC Rads CMF and when I finished treatment the very next week end I ended up in hospital with Pericarditus which is a tightening around the heart, or that is what I believe it was because they couldn't even say but kept my in hospital until I was better. I then had Taxotere on its own and only lasted a month in remission then kept doing with different cocktails ever since. Having said that I have been on Herceptin for about 3 years and so called harmless Thyroid medication gave me heart failure in 3 valves, I nearly died, I wasn't expected to come out of hospital and that was 2003, and my left ventricle which they worry about was fine and I continued on Herceptin when I got out of hospital and because I was having a triple dose every 3 weeks I hadn't even gone longer than 5 weeks with out it. My heart today is better and getting stronger and I no longer need valve replacement, but I definately believe Herceptin is one of the keys for our cell division, my latest lump which has been there for nearly 2 years, similar but not the same, so I believe the Herceptin has slowed the growth at least and changed the mutation of the cells. Hope you are not too confused.

Love & Hugs Lyn

*_Christine_*
01-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Anne
Herceptin should always be a part of your Tx. unless there is a problem .
Aromasin seems to get good results and can be given with Herceptin
.Hugs

JoJo
01-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi Mickey,

I have taken all that you just mentioned, except for Zometa, but not in that particular order. I took Femara, then at 1st progression, I moved onto Faslodex, then again at 2nd progression, I am now taking Aromasin. Femara & Aromasin come in the pill form; Faslodex is a monthly injection.

I have been taking weekly Herceptin in conjunction as well.

Good luck & keep us posted.

JoJo
01-18-2005, 12:53 AM
Oh, and I am still taking Zoladex. In fact, it has been a budding sidekick to all my hormonals all along.