HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
micheleu

lymphadema!

My lymphadema is getting worse! I'm almost 6 years out now. I'm trying PT and going to go learn some water excercies. My husband is also going to learn some tech. to help the swelling with massage.(i just hope he doesn't expect something in return everytime! Ha) Does anyone have any ideas on garments to wear to bed? The sleeve is useless. I need it more under my arm and top of arm. I'm looking for something that fits like a tank top and has a sleeve attached to it. Can't find anything like that out there. My arm is always tingly now

Dx.2003 Stage 3b 35 pos nodes

Dx August 2003 Stage 3B with 35/35 nodes IDC age 39
Lumpectomy
A/C x4 Taxol x12
35 radiation tx
1Year Herceptin in trial
HER2 vaccine trial Seattle
3 months Tykerb off label
NED

micheleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Paty

Dear Michele,

I am sorry to hear about your lymphadema. I really do not have any thing else to recomend but the pressure sleeve which seems not to work to good for you. I know the massages are the best that you can get for treatment. I am sure that some of our sisters here could recommed something like Caya for example. Hope somebody can suggest something good for you very soon. Keep us posted how do things develop.

Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
caya

Hi Michele,

Just saw your post... sorry the lymphedema is so bad for you. My lymphedema is mild, mostly contained to my right hand, and both my breast surgeon and the therapist at the lymphedema clinic at the hospital I go to for treatment think it will be completely reversible.

That being said, I did get referred to an RMT (registered massage therapist) who specializes in lymphedema massage. Here in Ontario the therapist has to take about 140 extra hours of instruction/practicum to get the lymphedema certification. I'm sure you could find a lymphedema massage expert in your area - it is well worth the money, you may even have health coverage for it. Sofia, my masseuse, told me to bring my hubby next time to learn the massages.

I have an appointment tomorrow at the Lymphedema Clinic at PMH (Princess Margaret Hospital, in Toronto) for another assessment and massage. I will ask the therapist if she knows of any other garments to wear to bed like the one you are describing.

all the best
Caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Pam P

Michele - I've had lymphedma for several years in my right arm following mastectomy. I've been able to control it well with lots of persistence. In the beginning I bandaged every night; now I don't do that unless I have a flair up. At night I have 2 garments I use alternatively - something called a tribute, and a different one that has velcro straps I can't think of the name of. I looked up on-line and found a site lymphedemaproducts.com. If you go to the custom garments tab it shows examples of each. I don't recomment the reidsleeve - it's very still and uncomfortable.

During the day I always where the sleeve and sometimes a gauntlet if my hand is puffy. The sleeve is always custom fit; the gauntlet I get off the shelf.

I go to a therapist who has had all the certification for lymphedema therapy - that's all she does. She says bandaging at night is the very best to get it under control. Also manual lymph drainage therapy has helped me - I try to go 2 times a month & my insurance pays for it. To get the garments I go to someone my therapist recommends who is trained to do proper measuring/fitting of the garments. My insurance also pays for them.

My therapist also said the under armour compression shirts can be helpful to wear. Not all of the underarmour things are compression, but it will say on the tag. Offers a little bit of support & you can buy them at most sporting wear stores.

Hope this helps.
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
chrisy

OK, this will probably be a really stupid idea! Maybe it should go on the keeping your mind off bc forum...

How about getting a wetsuit and cutting it to "fit" where you want it?
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
ElaineM

Wink lymphadema!

I think the water exercise is worth a try. When we do water exercises we get the benefit of the exercises without tiredness and aches and pains we can sometimes get from regular exercise. Let us know how it goes.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
caya

Hi Michele,

I had lymphedema massage therapy today at PMH. The therapist gave me a few sheets of exercises to do, if you want to PM your address I would be happy to mail you a copy.

I asked her about the type of garment you described, she said a good custom fitter should be able to make you whatever you want, but she does not advise sleeping in it. She also recommended swimming as excellent for lymphedema management - the breast stroke and back stroke especially because the arms move so broadly so that the lymph system gets a good work out.

all the best
Caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
chicagoetc

I don't know if this will help or not...I did not have Lymphedema (don't yet I think) but I did have painful "cording" down my arm. I was sent to a lymphedema massage therapist as they also address cording (webbing) and loss of range of motion. One of the things they did do was to teach me how to do my own massage...said I should do it indefinitely. Maybe this is something you already do. If not it might be an idea. I notice that small cuts and insect bites on my one arm take longer to heal (by days) than on the other. The massage seems to help the healing process. Whether it would help with swelling is something I do not know (though I suspect it could).

Melanie

PS: The whole idea of things getting worse six years down the road is sobering to me. Probably in a good way. I hope the water exercises help.
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
micheleu

I never thought about the underarmour. That is a very good idea!! thanks for all your help.

Lumpectomy
A/C x4 Taxol x12
35 radiation tx
1Year Herceptin in trial
NED

Old 07-25-2009, 05:08 AM   #10
Midwest Alice

Hey Michele,
Sorry to hear your lymphedema is getting out of hand. I got mine about 6 months after dx.

When I was at MDAnderson this week a Bc survivor volunteer told me a story of a women who had bad lymphedema that had surgery and it was fixed. She said there is one Dr. there who does this surgery. The Dr. is a woman but she couldn’t remember her name.

My PT told me about Underarmer too.

Have a great Saturdary.
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #11
Soccermom

The Doctor that Alice is referring to is Dr Marga Massey,MD,FACS.( She is double board certified in plastics and general surgery)
"Dr Massey has been interested in lymphadema for 15 years.During her residency at Duke a senior cardiac surgeon assigned her the topic. With the initial study of the historic "Charles Procedure" and lymphovenous bypass,a plastic surgeon was born."
Vascularized Lymph Node Transfer (VLNTx) is a novel approach where normal lymphatic tissue us transferred from one area of the body to another.
Dr Marga has trained in Paris under the mentorship of Dr Corrine Becker which has resulted in a collaboration extending to the US Brazil and Egypt.
Dr Massey recently joined forces with the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery (Drs DellaCroce and Sullivan) in New Orleans (which thrills me no end!).. What a step up for us BC survivors to have a facility of this calibre available to us!

http://www.drmarga.com/stats.html

Marcia

Last edited by Soccermom; 07-25-2009 at 07:10 AM..
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
Debbie L.

certified LANA lymphedema therapist

Hi Michele,

Sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I hope that the PT that you refer to is a certified lymphedema therapist. Lymphedema is one of those conditions that really requires someone who knows what they're doing, or more harm than good can happen. Water exercise is fine but it's not enough.

I'm suspicious that you are not seeing a certified therapist, because if you were, you would not have to be asking us about garments - the therapist would be treating your lymphedema with massage, skin care, exercise, and compression and would be talking about ordering custom garments if those are needed (when the swelling is under control).

Your regular doc, your oncologist, or your surgeon should be able to refer you to a certified lymphedema therapist (they are often also PT's, in this country). Sometimes you'll have to travel a ways, if you live in a remote area, alas. But it will be worth it to get off to the right start in managing this condition.

You'll learn how to manage it yourself eventually (self-care) and you'll also learn what particular things set off your particular arm and also what particular things work best to make it behave. It's a pain in the neck, but a very-manageable one, once you get the right provider.

Keep us posted, okay?

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
micheleu

The lymph node transfer is very interesting. I emailed Dr. Massey some questions. we'll see if she responds

Lumpectomy
A/C x4 Taxol x12
35 radiation tx
1Year Herceptin in trial
NED

Old 07-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #14
yankeebikachic

I got mild swelling and pain/tingling overdoing some house construction and my chiropractor resolved it in 2 visits. Maybe you could explore that option.
yankeebikachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
Westcoastgirl

Dr Vodder's School

This was the website I went to to make sure I was going to a certified practitioner http://www.vodderschool.com/
On the website you can find a qualified therapist in your area. I found a wonderful woman and she knew everything I needed to know and had references to all the places in town for fitting garments. If you are interested in a book that outlines the physical massage you can do at home e-mail me and I will dig it out for you.
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
Marilyn

Re: lymphadema!

I used a tribute sleeve by Solaris for several years and it worked wonderfully. It was prescribed by my lymphedema therapist and she did the measurements. It is a made-measure-garment. I wore a garment at night and also a garment during the day and can say that my lymphadema is now under control and I don't need to wear anything. I continue to get monthly massages from a massage therpist that I believe help me out as well.

Good luck to you!
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #17
dchips1

http://www.bio-con.com/lymphedema.html

These guys make awesome custom made sleeves, good quality and very durable. I have used them since 2007 and they wear well and are comfortable. If I swell really bad then go back to wrapping at night. I also found at that after weekly herceptin since 3/06, my cardiologist put me on low dose of diovan and hctz which helped dramatically as well.

Goodluck

Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
Soccermom

http://www.breastcenter.com/news/20090803_wwl.php

Michelle, I thought you might want to see this segment from WWL-TV in New Orleans on the VLNT procedure...
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
Sandra in GA

I am so happy to learn about this procedure. I almost did not have the recommended radiation treatments even though I had 21 of 21 lymph nodes removed from my left arm test positive. My left arm is my "good" arm that performs all of my daily living tasks due to the fact that as a small child I had Polio that caused me to have very limited use of my right arm. I cannot lift anything, feed myself, write, etc. with my right arm. When the radiation oncologist told me that there would be a 30% increase in the chance of the lymphadema occurring, I almost bolted and ran for the hills. I did go ahead since I had so many positive lymph nodes and completed 5 weeks therapy in April this year. So far I have had only very mild swelling problems and I do have a compression sleeve, gauntlet and the therapist has taught my husband to do the massages. Knowing there is this procedure in case it progresses and causes problem using my only operative arm brings me much relief!!!

Sandra
Nov. 2009 began Tykerb daily along with Taxol and Herceptin given weekly for 12 weeks (this stretched to 14 weeks because of low WBC and temp on two occasions).
Now taking Herceptin once every 3 weeks and daily oral Tykerb until middle of Nov.

In a phase II study of the cardiac safety and tolerability of Herceptin and Tykerb added to adjuvant chemotherapy at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL for early stage treatment.

Last edited by Sandra in GA; 08-11-2009 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: add signature to be saved
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #20
suzan w

oh my, this is awful! after 6 years...I still have large ares of numbness and some puffy skin flaps left over from surgery and I wonder about them. And no one seems to get it that if one has had both breasts removed, and some lypmh nodes on both sides that blood pressure cuffs should not be used. And I am usually such a weenie that I let them do it anyway. Well, Michele, you have inspired me to say "NO" to more blood pressures!!! It is the least I can do!!! Good luck to you!!! Hey, do you think the altitude where you live has any bearing on any of this???
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote