HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Marilyn

The cost of Herceptin

My Herceptin costs have recently increased from $4800.00 to $12,000.00. I get treatments every 3 weeks and have taken Herceptin since 2001. Does anyone have any idea why the price has increased so much? Has it increased like this for anyone else? I have concerns about reaching my insurance cap.
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
Sheila

Marilyn
This is a question I brought up a few years back....you will find a significant difference in the price people pay for Herceptin....my hospital was one of the highest in the country at that time...with the help of the wonderful women here, I was able to get Herceptin pricing from all over the country. When i showed this to the hospital, and asked them to reduce the price, they refused. I then filed a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General against the hospital....they reduced the price, and back paid patients and insurance companies for 2 years....its worth a try. The price on mine has slowly crept up again...why dont you start a thread...How Much do you pay for herceptin and see what answers you get....i am wondering if the price is so varied? I found a price difference of 8,000.00 per treatment here in Illinois back when I did my research. I feel we should be able to choose where we go by Dr's, not by the price charged for the drugs!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
Marilyn

Wow, I guess I am in the dark about the costs. I just assumed it was the same price for everyone. I am at the same oncology clinic so I'm not sure. I have a treatment today so I am going to ask some questions. I called the billing office the other day to make sure that there hadn't been a clerical error and the person I talked to told me that the price had gone up and that I was still getting it off cost. I really don't know for sure what that means. Thank you for your input Sheila.
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Sheila

Marilyn, I am getting herceptin every 2 weeks to coincide with my chemo treatments....(I have gotten it weekly, every 3 weeks etc) I just looked at the cost, and for the drug alone, no infusion and supply charges (which is over 1200.00) the cost of my Herceptin is $7703.50....each time.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
suzan w

WOW...what price we pay for a miracle drug...I never realized how much the $ can vary depending on where one lives...
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
alicem

Marilyn, 2 things - -
  1. I went to my Insurance Claims page to check on my costs. When I got a single dose the cost was $2385. Now that I am on a triple dose, the cost is $7473.
  2. You kept me from missing my appointment for my MUGA scan this morning!!! The appt. was made by my oncologist's office at least 6 weeks ago and I had forgotten about it. As I was looking over all the claims made by the various entities I was trying to remember what each one was for. I got to the MUGA I had in April, and all of a sudden it dawned on me that I had an appointment for another one coming up. I got my calendar out and saw the appt. was for 10:00 this morning, then I looked at my watch and it was 9:51! YIKES!! I immediately threw on some clothes hopped into the car and tried to avoid any radar guns!! Made it there only 10 minutes late.
If it hadn't been for your post, I would have forgotten about it completely! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Alice
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
donna77

That is an interesting question. The charge for my herceptin was $8413 but my insurance company has worked out savings in advance of any treatments so the actual cost is $3454
donna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Chelee

It's been 3 yrs since herceptin but if I remember right my insurance was billed $3800 each time. I'll have to dig up the EOB and see if I'm right? (I'm sure I'm close.)

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
Karen Wheel

Cool Herceptin costs

WOW! I'm really in the dark. I'm American but living in Italy - and I have to say "socialized" health care is the way to go.
I have paid nothing for all my surgery, care and treatments (chemo, Herceptin, and now doing radiation) --- and now I realize just how lucky I am! WOW! At 7K per treatment - I've already had 5 --- thats 35K! It seems very amazing to me how much MONEY there is in cancer ... no wonder they haven't found a real CURE! Unbelieveable - and so flipping sad all in one breath --- why would these drug companies want to really find a cure - when they can take this much money from the system (or our pockets) to try to fight it. This is a very interesting topic (I think)!

Okay, I got side tracked there with my rant! :-)

One more question I have is that my doctors here have said I should take Herceptin for a year --- once every 21 days - and I think I understand from starting reading here on the site in the US - they give this treatment longer than a year??? What are your doctors telling you in the US?
Thanks! Karen
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
alicem

Karen, first of all, welcome to the forum, I am glad that you found us. I think that you will find an amazing amount of knowledge and support here. Cancer is the enemy at this website and we all detest it.

That being said, I agree that our health care system is not perfect, but I do not agree that socialized medicine is the way to go. I have heard many horror stories from across the pond as well.

When I talked about the cost of my triple dose of herceptin . . . that is the claim amount that was filed by my oncologist with my insurance company. That number is $7473, but the insurance company has an "agreed pricing" figure with TX Oncology of $2881. The cost to me . . . $0. That is because I have already reached my out of pocket costs for the year of less than $4,000. So yes, I paid $4000 (not $35K) more than you did for my entire treatment. However, from what I understand, your taxes in Italy are so much more than mine are. I know because I lived in Milano, Italy with our family for 2 years in the early 90's. We had to pay both U.S. and Italian taxes. I was taught in business school that there is no such thing as a "free lunch". I have always found that to be true.

The standard for newly diagnosed, non-stage 4 cancer is one year of Herceptin. I think you might be seeing some women have received it for more than a year and I think that is because they have advanced BC, or it has metastisized. I myself will be getting it once every 3 weeks for a year, just like your oncologist has recommended.

As far as your comments about whether or not the drug companies have any incentive to find a cure? Do they have ulterior, greedy motives? I'll admit that has crossed my mind. But my belief in the goodness of humanity overcomes those doubts. I cannot bring myself to be so cynical. I think thoughts like that do an inservice to all the dedicated scientists that are out there day after day, spending many long hours in the lab looking for answers. My sister-in-law had breast cancer 10 years ago. Her ordeal with chemo and radiation inspired her daughter Kimberly, my niece, to get her PhD in Chemistry. She just graduated from Cal/Berkely where she spent 5 years doing synthesis of a potential cancer cure molecule found in rare tree bark, or something like that. (My chemo brain won't let me remember exactly what ). She literally spent months on one reaction where she got less than 4-5 hours of sleep a night. The reaction never worked and she had to go back to square one. Finally after 5 years, she was successful. All this just to synthesize one molecule, and she is not even sure if it will be successful when it comes to treating cancer.

Whenever I start having my doubts, I look back on how far we have come in the last 30-40 years. The treatment for Breast cancer even 40 years ago is liken to the middle ages when you compare it to the treatment and the drugs that are available now. Even though great strides are being made, this is a slow process. Even Dr. Slamon and Genentech, the scientist and drug company responsible for Herceptin, admit that it was like finding a needle in a haystack. You might be interested in the book "Her2: The Making of Herceptin" by Robert Bazell or the movie based on the book, "Living Proof" - - it was just released on DVD and is a fantastic movie!!! It does show that there are definitely politics involved as well as being concerned with the bottom line when it comes to making decisions about clinical trials and finding new drugs.

I don't know what the answer is. If you take away what appears to be a huge profit, you also take away incentive - that is just human nature. The drug companies are beholden to their stockholders (which in reality is anyone with a pension plan, a 401K plan, a mutual fund, etc., i.e. . . . most of the American public) to make a profit. Another thought, for all the success and HUGE PROFITS that come with a drug like Herceptin, there are many, many, many potential drugs that look promising at the beginning only to fail at the end. The drug companies have to eat those costs. With risk comes reward, but also potential failure. I believe that there will be a profit in drugs that will cure us. Finally, with the statistics of 1 in 8 women getting breast cancer, the odds are very high that each and every scientist & drug company executive is touched personally by a loved one - mother, wife, sister, aunt, a friend, or an acquaintance who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. How can they NOT want to find a cure? This doesn't even take into account the FAME factor that comes to that scientist(s) who discover a cure.

Well, Karen, I am sorry that I rambled on so long but you touched a nerve. This might just be something that we will have to agree to disagree on. I am definitely open to differing opinions from others and would love to hear from you. Please know that everything I have said, was my opinion, and I do respect your right to your opinion. The last thing I want to do is scare you away from this website because it is so wonderful.

Buona notte! Ciao!
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Karen Wheel

Thank you - response

Thanks for the note back - I understand your postion, however I still doubt that drugs are the ultimate answer. I am doing the conventional therapy but also changing drastically my diet and what I am putting in my body - so I can hopefully stop the cancer in its tracks so it won't come back. My issue with drug companies is the pricing (yes, they have great risk) but also that only a "drug" can be called a cure... if there was money in vegetables we would all have all kinds of clinical studies and proof that changing the PH in our bodies (by mostly eating veg and not eating animal products or processed foods) is enough to save us from EVER getting cancer .... and can actually reverse the effects of cancer and disolve tumors. Our bodies are that amazing that they can vitually heal themselves.

That was my rant - that there is too much money in the cure .... in general - and I find where there is money, yes, there is motivation, however ... there is also the "power" card and with power there is cruption. Plain and simple.

In regards to overall - I have my opinions, and I wholeheartedly respect yours - and I know that many of us are searching for a road that will save, or prolong our lives. So, no offense taken on my behalf.

As for living in Italy, the health care system here, I am sure is flawed, but my experience has been unbelievably good. And - the no-cost thing is amazing. I do not work here so I am again, lucky. However my fiance does and he pays a lot in taxes, but .... they have a lot of benefits here (not just health care), so everyone is paying for them and everyone is eligable to have health care --- even at 4-8K a treatment for Herceptin. I ... in turn, Thank God for that.

Take care and good luck in the fight!
:-) K
Old 07-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
alicem

Now there is something that we can agree on! I definitely think that there is a connection between diet and cancer. I don't necessarily think that diet necessarily "causes" cancer, otherwise every obese person in america would be getting it. It more than likely exacerbates it though. If you are genetically predisposed towards cancer then your diet/exercise plan might just push you over the edge. As for me, I am suspicious of all the years I spent in the chemistry lab in the late 70's. I was a chemistry major myself, spent a year doing research. I shudder at the memories of spilling benzene or carbon tetrachloride on my skin and doing nothing about it because it just evaporated! I was more careful when it came to hydrochloric acid or sulphuric acid. UGH!!!!!!!!!!

I too have changed my eating habits. Six years ago I changed my exercise habits and I think that might have saved my life. I couldn't even run 100 yards without getting out of breath. Two years ago, I completed my first marathon. (The human body is amazing). I didn't run the whole way, but that is my next goal! I also absolutely love triathlons! Have done the Danskin 4 times, along with others. My youngest daughter did it for me this year since I was unable to due to my chemo.

I did have a good experience with the Italian healthcare system. In 1993, one of my daughters had an ear infection. The English speaking doctor where we lived made HOUSE CALLS!!! Imagine that. He was in and out in about 10 minutes. The charge to us was comparable to what we paid in the states. On another occasion, my husband went on a business trip to Grenoble, France towards the end of school. When the girls were finished with school for the year, we drove over to meet him from Milano. Half way there (a 4 1/2 hour drive), my 8 year old started complaining that she didn't feel well. I felt her forehead and she was burning up. Fortunately when we got there, there was an American family living there in a quaint little village just outside of Grenoble. I took her there that afternoon and the wife arranged for her doctor to see us, no need to wait. We walked down cobblestone streets to his building. (my daughter still remembers this!) He diagnosed her with strep throat. The only thing we had to pay for was the antibiotics. The office visit was free. I did feel fortunate because it was my husband's company that was paying our Italian taxes, so in a way, we didn't have to pay a thing either.

I envy you being in Italy. It is a fabulous country. Would go back there in a heartbeat!

Alice
HER2 score = 3+
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
Old 07-16-2009, 03:06 AM   #13
michka

I was so surprised by the prices you posted that I went to look into my files: Herceptine (my every 3 week infusion) was billed 1897€ (around $2500-2600) to the French Social Securiy in 2007. I payed 0.
Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
Karen Wheel

Italian healthcare

yes, ....love the house calls! My family doctor is great - she came to see me at home (and brought me a flowering plant) the day I came home from tumor surgery and always makes time for me when I need to just stop by and ask her a question (and all at no cost!)
So, for those of you that are thinking that "socialized" medicine doesn't work, well, I am a HUGE fan (before when I lived in the US ... no!) but now, trying the system and even in a "different language" well, I'm really impressed. Thank god I'm not having to pay those high insurance fees, deductables, drugs that aren't covered ... etc. .... I just am really thankful.

And, hey, its beautiful here too! :-) Always helps the mental attitude! Sun, sand... sea!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #15
Karen Wheel

Lightbulb Diet and PH

For those of you wondering about diet -

Two great books I have read (and am applying now) are:

Crazy Sexy Cancer Survivor - by Kris Carr
Wonderful read - and the first cancer type book I read - but Kris is awesome and started me on my quest for "eating to live"

And...
The Cancer Battle Plan - by Anne and David Frahm
(this book is an easy read and lays out an agressive "how-to" plan .... very cool!)
Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
vlcarr

I just started my herceptin treatment at Vanderbilt University in Nashville. My first treatment was $6,298 (they said I got more the first time). The 2nd treatment was $4,618 and these are the costs for the drug only. The total bill for the first and second treatment was $12,757.30!!! This hospital is a preferred provider with my insurance so I'll be curious to see how much they approve and pay. Since I've met my out of pocket for this year there will be no cost to me. I must admit I was shocked at the cost.
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #17
harrie

in 2007, the cost of the drug only was less then $2,000. I think it was around $1,600 or so. (per tx for herceptin) Ins covered it all. I didn't pay anything out of pocket.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #18
juanita

the cost of chemo varies too. if i had done tac with my second onc instead of the cmf, it was still cheaper for the tac with him than it was my first onc.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #19
jhandley

cat among the pigeons

Hi everyone
Herceptin has a half life of 28.2 days so you could try having it every 4 weeks rather than every 3. You can have up to 6 weeks between treatments before they need to reload you. The 3 week dosing protocol allows for people to get over any other minor illness say a flu or bug and still not need reloading.
I am currently suffering from what is probably swine flu and should have had a treatment this week. But I will be better by next week hopefully and will have it then.....5 weeks from my last treatment.
I have been having it 4-5 weeks for years and am still NED (Stage iv). In Oct I will have been on herceptin 4 years.
So if the cost is a major factor, timing is something to think about.
jackie (down under)
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 AM   #20
Adriana Mangus

Hi from Adriana

Hi Alice:

Don't know anything about the cost of herceptin, only that it's priceless to me, as it has kept me alive all these years.

Can't tell who the mother is. Nice pic.

Love,

Adriana
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote