HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #1
Jeet

Chemo - I need to make a decision

I really am struggling. Has anyone here ever been 'cured' of HER2+ cancer? Has anyone ever had chemo and felt like themselves after it was over? I'm just not sure I can do it. I've never known anyone who didn't die of the cancer they were diagnosed with and I'm struggling to figure out if any of the treatment is worth it.
Jeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
imani

Re: Chemo - I need to make a decision

I had chemo and other than my hair falling off I would say I felt like myself . I worked throughout and was able to take care of my babies .
If you look through old posts you will find people who are 20 years past diagnosis and doing great
imani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:42 PM   #3
donocco

Jeet

With some cancers it isnt worth it. I think it is very much so with breast cancer. I dont post this lightly. Age is a factor too. If yoiu are in your 70s or late 60s to me the positives are iffy. Also the type of cancer. The decrease in the breast cancer deaths is far more due to better treatment than the mammograms. Long term studies have shown that overall they have not accomplished all that much.

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:14 AM   #4
jaykay

Hi, sorry you have this decision to make but as Imani says, there are many women on this board who are still alive and living their lives with no restrictions after many years. As far as Her2+ bc, you’re better off with that then triple negative bc where there are no post chemo effective meds.

Of course, it depends on staging of the cancer. I did chemo, worked all through it but admittedly did not travel for work until chemo was finished. And yes, I absolutely felt like myself during and after.

Chemo is no walk in the park but you can handle it. Many drugs are available to deal with side effects.

And Paul - with much respect as to your knowledge, late 60’s and 70’s?? Sorry, I disagree big time, speaking as a 70 year old woman.

Jeet, please private message me if you want. I have a dear friend who just finished chemo for triple negative who is 73 and has other health issues. She is just fine
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:10 AM   #5
JessicaV

Jeet, in 2014, when I was diagnosed at 62 with a 2.2cm HER2+ invasive carcinoma Grade 3 Stage 2, very aggressive and invasive in a 6cm field of DCIS, my oncologist told me that that 10 years earlier she would have told me this was a bad diagnosis and even with surgery and chemo, I would only have a 50% chance of surviving another 5 years.
Then Herceptin and other targetted treatments specially for HER2+ cancers were developed.
"Now," she told me, "It is a pretty good diagnosis if you have to have breast cancer at all."
She said that with Herceptin and chemo combined, I had over a 99% chance of surviving 5years and if I survived 5 years, I had a chance in the high nineties of a decade or more. She said they were for the first time even starting to think of it as a curable disease.
I did find chemo a sore trial, and it made me very fatigued, so fatigued I could not think in the reflective poetic way I like my mind to function. But I got that back within a couple of years, and for me that was the biggest part of feeling like myself again. Walking daily helps. And knowing it is only for a few months and then your treatment is over and recovery is the name of the game.
I have a friend who first got HER2+ cancer about 27years ago. She had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy. Then about 12 years ago, she found a regrowth down the side of the same breast, so they removed the regrowth and possibly the whole breast, and gave her chemo and radiotherapy and tamoxifen. Five years after that, she was told she could go off her tamoxifen and within a few months she had big tumors in her liver and lungs.
The thing is that she had never until then had herceptin or related treatments. I met her in the chemo lounge when we both had our chemo and herceptin. The big tumors completely vanished. Because she is stage 4 her oncologist has had her on monthly treatments of herceptin-related drugs, but she is doing really well, creating lovely works of art and spending good time with friends and family.
It is a very hard road to walk, but for me it has been worth it, and I believe I am now cured, which is amazing and I have much of my life back, and all of me back. I have two granddaughters aged 2 and 5 I love dearly and would never have known if I had not had this treatment. I wish you all the best in making a difficult choice.
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

Last edited by JessicaV; 05-18-2021 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: left out my age
JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
donocco

Jaykay

I didnt get a chance to answer you.
You are correct about my age as Im 72. In fact in Octomber of this year Ill be 73. With breast cancer Im not negative about chemo treatment as it can be effective in many cases. I worked as a pharmacist at Sloan Kettering Memorial in 1978 when I was only 30. It was an experience. I figured at that time the horrors of cancer would be in the past more or less in 10 or 12 years. It has been 43 years and the prognosis for some of the cancers has improved with treatment but others Ex pancreatic cancer have not changed a bit really since the 1950s. Seeing what a business cancer has become has probably made me too cynical. Now that Im retired sometimes I watch TV with my wife. The cancer advertisements do not stop. Verzenio (Breast cancer is relentless etc)
Kiskali (Its our time for more time ) the Cologard box ( Im here for a very important reason-colon cancer I test the DNA in your stool etc etc

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #7
jaykay

Paul - The "70" I was referring to is my age. And I definitely get what you are saying. Like most people our age (and unfortunately younger), I've seen more than a few people I consider close friends pass away from all different types of cancer (like pancreatic, multiple myeloma and yes, breast as well) and who fought like hell to survive.

I feel fortunate that my breast cancer pathology has multiple weapons for me to use. Others are not so lucky.

Yes, cancer is big business.
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote