HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
fcrcm

Question Question: P13k inhibitor in addition to Herceptin?

Question. I have been on Herceptin (liver and bone mets) since Novemer 2005. My last PET showed a new bone mets in my hip. Has anyone heard of P13k inhibitor which may activate the PTEN gene to help Herceptin prevent tumor growth. There was an article posted from MCAnderson in June, but I can't find anymore info. Thanks
fcrcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
heblaj01

FCRMC,

you will find the main article at:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...highlight=p13k

For more posts on P13K make a search on this site for "P13K"
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:08 AM   #3
R.B.

You may have to search under P "one" and P I as in the letter to get the best results.

You might like to look under the Greek Diet posts which includes some posts on the role of PI3k

Here is the result of one search

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=11844586

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
fcrcm

Thanks so much for the quick feedback, and also consult on how to navigate this link. I am so glad I found you guys. I'll take the MC Anderson and Hopkins articles (looks like they're from the same source) to my doctor when I next see him.

fcrcm
Old 07-14-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
Becky

Some natural P13K inhibitors are selenium - be very careful here as too much is very, very toxic. Also D-beta glucan found in maitake mushrooms (you can find this as a supplement) has been shown (in the test tube) to activate the inactive form of Pten (which is why I take maitake mushroom capsules).

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:07 AM   #6
R.B.

RE Selinium

I have seen that selinium deficinecy is reported as favouring the omega six pathway.

Information in the Greek diet post may suggest that balancing the omega threes and six may help inhibit PI3k as well.

RB
Old 08-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
fcrcm

Question fcrcm

Hey Becky and R.B.
Some while ago you gave me good information re selenium and P13k inhibitors. However, Becky warned me not to take too much. I wonder how much is too much as there are a million choices out there. Anyone know?
Thanks so much,
fcrcm
Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
fcrcm

Red face fcrcm

Oh HELP! I stupidly just deleted an email reply to my recent reply re: amount of selenium. Whoever sent it , please send again. Sorry
fcrcm
Old 08-07-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
R.B.

This may help in forming your decisions.

There is lots of stuff on google.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dru...ation/DR202633

RB
Old 08-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
R.B.

This looks like an interesting article on selenium and looks at supplementation for cancer prevention.

RB

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/20/1/1

Commentary
Nutritional Selenium Supplements: Product Types, Quality, and Safety
Gerhard N. Schrauzer, PhD, CNS, FACN

Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California San Diego, and, Biological Trace Element Research Institute, San Diego, California

Address reprint requests to: Gerhard N. Schrauzer, PhD, CNS, FACN, Biological Trace Element Research Institute, 11526 Sorrento Valley Rd., Ste. A., San Diego, CA 92121.

ABSTRACT

Selenium supplements contain selenium in different chemical forms. In the majority of supplements, the selenium is present as selenomethionine. However, in multivitamin preparations, infant formulas, protein mixes, weight-loss products and animal feed, sodium selenite and sodium selenate are predominantly used. In some products, selenium is present in protein- or amino acid chelated forms; in still others, the form of selenium is not disclosed. Current evidence favors selenomethionine over the other forms of selenium. Extradietary supplementation of selenium at the dosage of 200 micrograms per day is generally considered safe and adequate for an adult of average weight subsisting on the typical American diet.

Key words: selenium, selenomethionine, selenium yeast, sodium selenite, sodium selenate, dietary supplements

The typical American diet provides the average adult with about 80 to 150 micrograms of selenium per day, which is more than the newly revised RDA for selenium of 55 ยต [1], but less than one half of the amount considered optimal for utilization of the protective potential of selenium, especially for cancer prevention [2,3]. Accordingly, extradietary selenium supplementation is increasingly recommended by health professionals. Pending the outcome of ongoing human cancer prevention trials, selenium supplementation is likely to be officially recognized as a means of lowering cancer risk. These developments raise the question as to which form of selenium is the most desirable for supplementation. In addition, the quality and safety of the selenium supplements become matters of concern.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #11
fcrcm

fcrcm

Thanks, R.B.
The info you post is so informative. You are a terrific source!
fcrcm
Old 08-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #12
al from Canada

I've posted about this time and time again..........I think the PI3K inhibitors may hold one of the keys to the cure but.....selenium is not the drug, there are others much more specific. The other pathway, I think is the p53 inhibition.

Al