HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
SoCalGal

Question WHO takes you to treatment?

I am finding it harder and harder for me, to ask my friends to accompany me to treatment. I feel like it is such an imposition - it takes about 4 hours of someone's time...and I have to admit, I am not at my most fun/best while getting infused - the premeds make me cranky, groggy and the whole thing makes me anxious.

So, I am procrastinating to ask, yet I just can't imagine sitting there alone.

For those who are in continuous treatment, do you go alone? And any tips on asking friends to accompany you? I am more than a bit stuck and it's getting to be that time again! Thanks.
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Sheila

Re: WHO takes you to treatment?

Flori
Over the years, I would have out used all my friends, so most of the time, about 99%, I go alone....it was nice when my sister and I have synchonized and could go together....just hate that she has to go. I have become best friends with an IPAD, and it keeps me occupied for the hours I am there...funny, I was just thinking today that since starting radiation, and making the drive daily, I see some people everyday on the interstate....hmmm, and now I have chemo friends AND road rage friends...truthfully, I have met some amazing women at chemo over the years....they know~~~

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
SoCalGal

Hi Sheila,
I don't like that answer :-)
I don't know if I can sit there alone, even with my ipad, mike & ike, etc. I am such a baby, every 3 weeks, and a little immature in between.
It's the frickin' premeds...Prior to pre-meds, I used to go it alone at times, and I could count on myself...but now, once the benedryl and ativan kick in, I am drunk and not in a good way. Thanks for the info and congrats on the 10 years. You really inspire me!
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
9/09 MARKERS normal!
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
jellybean

Except for my first infusion, I have gone by myself. With the pre-meds, particularly benadryl, I just wanted to sleep, and so didn't want anyone else around that I would feel I had to entertain. Now, I just go for Herceptin, and I go on weekends. Because the infusion center is empty, I can make calls on my cell phone, as well as read the paper, etc.

I think the difficulty with pre-meds, is being able to drive home. I was fortunate to live walking distance from the infusion center.

I think it would be hard to ask a friend to come. Perhaps you could try to make it like a "date," a time to get together, chat, etc. If it is not a long drive from where you live, maybe different friends could each come for an hour or two.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
7andcounting

I was going alone for awhile and I felt like the old saying about being alone in a crowd. Seemed everyone had someone with them and for the longest time the nurses would say almost nothing to me. It felt so invasive having them pump all this stuff into my body, but barely acknowledge me. Out of the blue a gal I met just told me one day that she was going to start going with me. Don't know what on earth caused her to do this. (she was heaven sent )

I have been going weekly for treatment since July. I was going every 3 weeks, but for now it's every week. It can get really frustrating at times b/c I sometimes feel like I live at the place....not to mention how the bills pile up b/c they are being generated weekly.

I hope you can find someone to go with you. It does seem to make the time go by faster when you are occupied, either with visiting or getting lost in a good magazine or book.
7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
chrisy

Hi Flori,
I've always BEEN there alone, but when I was getting TCH with the premeds, I had people drop me off and pick me up. It was a lot easier then - it was right in my home town and 10 minutes from my home or work.

I don't mind the being alone - Ipad yes! and I keep myself busy..

Now that I'm about to go back on a real chemo, I'm not sure how I'll feel about it (or do it). To UCSF it's 150 miles round trip - so it's a different story. And I am concerned about driving. I guess I'll be figuring it out myself.

Last time my co-workers and staff took turns. 150 miles RT is a different story, but one of my managers thought it would be a great way to get one-on-one time! It might be fun to see who fights to get the post vs. pre "drunk" shift!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
StephN

Dear Flori -
I almost always took myself. With a TV in each infusion booth, lunch, things to read, and the occasional snooze, warm blanket and all, the dosages went quickly.

Is it since your reaction to Herceptin that you need the premeds? This could change the complexion of the "going alone" part. If those particular premeds turn you into someone else, maybe you could mention that and see if there are alternatives that would have the desired effect with the drug, yet leave you at some semblance of Flori.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
sarah

Hello,
I was lucky, when I was only on Herceptin, I could drive myself (40 mins - 20 on the highway, 20 on twisty country roads)for 6 years. I did find after a few sessions, I was extremely drowsy and so I sit for a while afterwards and have a coffee. Also I asked them not to give me pre-meds that would make me drowsy because I had to drive. Luckily I live in a country where I'm actually allowed free of charge to have a taxi take me to and from these sessions but I always felt too guilty to use them!!!
If you really can't drive yourself and you don't want to bug your friends, ask the hospital about support groups, there must be several in your area (are you in LA?) and maybe they can help or a church group - there are always volunteers out there, you just have to find them. Meanwhile think of something fun you can give your friends or sent them a mushy note!
Take care
Health and happiness
Sarah
Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
PinkGirl

I was always alone during the treatment ... except for my nurse and another patient in the chair beside me ... but I never drove myself. Someone would drop me off and come and get me. Until I was on herceptin alone my treatments were long ... 4 to 6 hours. I wouldn't want someone to have to sit there with me that long. I slept, ate, read ... mostly slept. Maybe you could get friends to drop in for short visits ... help pass the time.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
SoCalGal

I think I will try someone at the beginning and then someone at the end. And I will sit alone in the middle. (Definitely the premeds that make me unable to drive. And definitely the anxiety that makes me want a friend along.) I'm strong in-between but being at my infusions = regression to childhood. I am surprised by how many just go it alone. You all are my inspiration! Thank you.

9/09 MARKERS normal!
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
Markers drop post rads.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
Old 03-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
valleygirl

SoCal, you should look for someone that is in the same boat. First week you can take them and than the following week they can take you. I'm sure if you ask the nurses they can let you know of someone who is in need of a ride and I'm sure they would enjoy someone sitting with them that is going through the same thing. I'm blessed to have my daughter take me. I have a 3 hour drive for chemo. There are so many times I wish I choose a treatment center closer to home,but I wanted the go to cancer treatment center of america
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
mschwab

With the exception of my first infusion, I go alone. I didn't have problems with pre-meds making me sleepy, so driving wasn't a problem for me. With the Herceptin only infusions, I don't get nay pre-meds.

I like the quiet time, and prefer not to have to entertain anyone else. I read on my iPad, watch TV and generally just relax. I regard it as my "me time" and a chance for a little internal focus.

Maryann
June 22, 2011 - Drain out. Yay!
July 7, 2011 - Start chemo. 4x A/C, 12x weekly Taxol/Herceptin, Herceptin 1 year
June 28, 2011 - Port installed
July 14, 2011 - Ultrasound for mass on thyroid.
July 22, 2011 - Biopsy on thyroid mass. Results: inconclusive. Another biopsy scheduled in a couple of months.
September 8, 2011 - A/C chemo done. On to Taxol/Herceptin.
October 19, 2011 - 2nd biopsy of thyroid mass. Benign. Yipee!
December 16, 2011 - Final chemo!!!
January 11, 2012 - Started 33 rads
February 24, 2012 - Finished rads! Herceptin only now.
September 26, 2012 - Finished Herceptin.

www.CaringBridge.org/maryannschwab/visit
mschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Delaney

Red face Re: WHO takes you to treatment?

I always drove myself and brought food, puzzles and my ipod to amuse myself in the chair, no privacy really so did not make calls. Am facing 10 days rads now, and then weekly chemo. have loaned my car to my daughter for work so my husband will drop and collect me now. Would not want him to wait with me, he would be so bored. I always find someone friendly to talk to and you will too.
Lung mets shrinking.
Back on Herceptin with T/X. Partial response.
Skin mets progressing. Radiation scheduled mid february 2011.
Spot found on hip - radiation to hip beginning mid February 2011.
Now trying Gemzar/Tyverb/Herceptin and Zometa.
CT scan Feb 2011 - lung clear!
Brain mets (specks) - radiation mid Feb.
Brain Scan June'11 - Clear
CT Scan June'11 - Good - skin met active - watch and wait.
Surgery to remove skin met. Surgery to back 2012, four titanium rods inserted. Skin mets reappear. On Navelbine, not working. 4 week washout, start Myocet for skin and lung mets August 2012. Brain scan clear despte intermittent blurry vision (something hiding? Am suspicious but hopeful. )On we go, glad to be here.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
dchips1

Check with your local American Cancer society advocates. they have a program where volunteers can help with transporting and have volunteers to "sit" with you .

Good Luck

Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Jackie07

My husband always drives me to my hospital appointment. But he never stays with me. (Especially after he had had some miscommunication with my oncologist.) The hospital is located right by the mall, so he takes the opportunity to 'walk' in the mall. I've been advised not to drive any more (had had a couple of minor car accidents), so someone has to drive me to the hospital.

I would read while on the infusion chair. The chemo chairs used to be lined against the wall around the nurses' station - now the hospital built private quarters for chemotherapy and the opportunity to socialize with other chemo patients is drastically reduced.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
ElaineM

Wink Re: WHO takes you to treatment?

I always find rides to my medical appointments regardless of what they are for, because I don't have a car, but I am always by myself in medical offices. I prefer it that way, because I can get more done. I am a multi tasker. I can socialize with friends at other times. Also being alone makes it easier to concentrate on the things on my list that I need to get done while I am there.
I have 3 appointments tomorrow. Someone will drop me off and pick me up when I am finished.
I will bring something to read, my lunch, a thermos of tea, my afternoon snack and some yarn to untangle for a blanket project several of us are working on. I also requested a portable DVD and movie at one of the locations, so I guess I will watch that while I am there.
I have to run down to the pharmacy and the bank machine in the lobby in between appointments. I also have to pick up the physical therapists report to show my naturopath next week, so it will be a busy day.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.

Last edited by ElaineM; 03-08-2012 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: addition
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
BonnieR

Like many others, I found that I preferred being alone during treatment. However I live very close to the center so my husband could drop and pick up. The meds just made me too drowsy to be much company and I preferred the solitude and meditative time. Although I did strike up conversations with other patients. I always had my journal to write in, something to read, etc.
When it was just Herceptin, I drove myself the short distance.
As someone has suggested, maybe you could have 2 shifts, one to drop you off and stay awhile and another person to relieve them. But, of course, that doubles your dilemma of asking someone in the first place! I trust you to find a solution. And you just might find that you prefer your own company, period.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #18
dawny

Unhappy Re: WHO takes you to treatment?

Aaawwww Flori, I want to come with you! I wish i could. My husband cane with me to all of my chemo's, but now I am on Herceptin alone, I have been by myself 3 times. The first time, I just wanted to cry, I felt sad and lonely. As I Am Stage 1V and willbe on Herceptin forever, I didnt want my husband to have to come all of the time. But I understand what you mean.

Dawn
Abraxane weekly - 16 weeks
Herceptin every third week
September 26 2011 N.E.D!
Herceptin ongoing
8th Dec 2011 Brain MRI - clear
20th Dec 2011 bone/cat scan clear still NED
April 2012 scans show axillary node lump - ? what to do...
June 2012 Axillary node dissection 1/11 nodes affected, a wide local excision shows DCIS. Now what to do again? Watch and scan 3 monthly
April 2013, two spots in nodes to chest wall, start TDM1 (Kadcycla) as part of clinical trial
July 2013 stable
Oct 2013 progression off TDM-1 (Kadcycla)
Nov 2013 radiation to lymph nodes in sternum
Dec 2013. Mastectomy right side, pathology shows tumour was HER-2 negative, no wonder TDM-1 (Kadcycla) didn’t work!
April 2014 NED. On Herceptin only
August 2014 NED. On Herceptin only
March 2015. NED. On Herceptin only
September 2015 NED on Herceptin only
March 2016. Pulmonary embolism, Clexane injections daily forever. Still NED On Herceptin only
Nov 2016. Bone Mets in ribs - Radiation. Don’t know if bone Mets are er-/pr-/HER2+ or triple negative.
Can’t give self injections on to tablets (Xarelto) for blood clots.
2017 NED - On Herceptin only
2018 NED - On Herceptin only
2019 NED - On Herceptin only
2020 NED - On Herceptin only
2021 NED - On Herceptin only
dawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
tricia keegan

My hubby drove me there (I dont drive) but did'nt come in with me and waited in the car (at my request). I really felt I did'nt need anyone with me and preferred to doze or listen to music than chat to someone beside me unless it was a fellow chemo patient!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
SoCalGal

I think the take home message is that I have to learn to be a big girl...not sure I'm ready to grow up that much!

9/09 MARKERS normal!
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
Markers drop post rads.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC