HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
debski

Question urticaria? A warning sign?

I had urticaria for two years before I found my lump. It was cyclical with my period and ovulation. I was convinced it was hormone related. My doctors said it was unheard of and sent me away feeling like a complete hyperchondriac. Well, the last time I saw the rash was the day I came out of surgery to have my cancer removed. I am convinced that my immune system was fighting it and maybe hypersensitive to other factors. What do you think? Is it beyond the realms of possibility? Has anyone else had any signs like this? I have to say that if the rash returns I will take it as a very bad sign indeed. I hope it stays away.
debski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Urticaria

What did the rash look like? When my daughter was 1 yr old she had some light brown blotches on her back trunk. Pediatrician questioned it, as did I. Eventually sent me to a pediatric dermatologist. Urticaria pigmentosa he called it. He may spread. It didn't. He should disappear w/adolescence. It did.

I have a very red declotee area. Docs come in to the examination rm and comment, you have a nice sunburn. Not a sunburn. Pre bc and still, maybe more pronounced now. Like I'm "flushed". Also have some red blotches on the inner part of my upper arms, above the elbow. Doesn't itch or anything. Plan on eventually getting myself to a dermatologist to ask. Busy w/all the other docs for me, and for my husband at the present time. Been there for yrs.

What does your *rash* look like? ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Karen Weixel

I had chronic hives for 5 months (hands and feet), three years before I was diagnosed with bc. Along with the hives I also had a high AST level (liver enzyme). My docs ordered over 100 blood test and a liver biopsy to try and find out what was going on. Never could find the reason.

Karen
Karen Weixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink I'm With You

Karen, I too hope the rash stays away. It was likely a sign that your immune system was having difficulty. Which, in a way, is a good thing. Warning you to be alert.

When I recurred I had VERY SLIGHTLY elevated liver enz, picked up in ev 3 mnth comprehensive bld work. Doc called to say all was well, just this very slightly... I wouldn't worry about it. 3 mnths later, same exact conversation. 3rd time (6 mnths after it showed up) I asked for a "liver sono". You mean an abdom sono. Ok. I guess we could substantiate that. Then the radiol couldn't be sure he saw what he saw, sent me for a CT scan. Then came the liver biop and the rest is history. So, I am attuned to very slight change in my bld #s and my body in gen'l. I keep copies of every report ever written, every test and COMPARE. I believe I am being vigilant, not a hypochondriac, not obsessive, cautious -- as any sensible ca patient must be, now and forever. It's our new job. Full time. No one cares more about you than you.

Just stay attuned to your body and all "changes", with peace in your heart and full expectation of staying well and healthy. Let love and belief fill you up. FAITH AND FEAR CANNOT OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE! Fill yourself with loving belief in your ability to conquer this w/the help of the Universe and your docs and meds and trtments and the fear will dissipate. It will have no other choice. No room in your head for anything but loving belief! Sending you loving, soothing energy... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 07-01-2007, 03:53 AM   #5
Hopeful

Interesting question, and thanks for raising it. The year before my dx, I had some blood work that showed possible sub-clinical hypothyroidism. My internist wanted me to try thyroid meds. I had problems adjusting to it, and he put me on a very low dose. After 3 months on the low dose, I developed severe urticaria which lasted for a full year after I stopped the meds. I remember itching in my axillae, and feeling a lymph node that was the side of a large marble. The itching was associated with large red welts, which looked like bug bites. The itching reaction is itself some sort of feedback loop, and, once the cycle of itching starts, it is necessary to break the cycle to make it stop. They could appear pretty much anywhere, but seemed to favor my axillae, inner thighs and buttocks. I finally got a steroid cream from my dermatologist which stopped it. My dx came following my abnormal mammo about 8 months later. I have been wondering ever since if the two are related. I know that thyroid hormones, sex hormones and serotonin regulation are all wound up somehow; I believe the urticaria was a signal of something other than an "allergic reaction" to the thyroid hormone meds. Something was definitely out of balance. Dang, where is an endocrinologist when you need one?

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Endocrinologist

Hi! I recently went to an endocrinologst, in utter desperation, finding no help any where else for 22 yrs re my constant hot flashing. She told me that could be related to high bld sugar. Had a panel of bld tests and did the glucose tolerance thing. Clinically high bld sgr, not diabetic. Yet. (BTW, haven't had sugar since '04.) Okay, my body is producing it, or a problem w/it. Pancreas not doing its job. MUST MAKE A NOTE TO TALK TO IT ABOUT THAT, come to think of it!

Also hypothyroidism, being watched. Now recent test shows even lower #s. Due to see endocrin 7/18. Something is OUT OF BALANCE. (I do suspect *allergic* reactions may equate to being "out of balance". Yes -- all those hormones -- thyroid, sex. serotonin regulation counter in to the immune system which effects every thing. HOPEFUL -- YOU are the source of that information I've been straining my brain to recall!!!

The feedback loop and stopping the cycle going on and impacting your well-being coincides with Dr. Sarno's The Divided Mind theories. Great book!

Also, Hopeful, I noted your effected urticaria areas were all prone to *abrasion*, irritating the already sensitive area. I had the buttock's involved as you describe. Used steroid cream. Kept "telling" myself it was nothing to be alarmed about, as it came and went, and seemed to come when I was stressed, followed by the itching. When I finally BELIEVED that is wasn't cause for alarm, talking myself down -- and out of the cycle -- it went away. Was the cortisone cream finally kicking in, or ... ???

The more we know, the more curious I become. LOVING ENERGY TO ALL... ANDI

Old 07-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
debski

hmm... very curious.

My rash was called classic urticaria by a Doctor. It started one day out of the blue and was particularly noticable in areas under pressure or warm areas!!
Buttock, feet palms of hands and strangely enough my breasts too. It was in my hair line and on my forehead. Massive, raised red wheals. I even had swelling of the ankles once. Dr did a urine test and found protein- then did more tests and found urinary tract infection and raised liver enzymes. She told me I may have a fatty liver and to get it checked in the future. Well, the rash went on for two years and I am absolutely convinced that it had something to do with the breast cancer.

As I said- the last time I saw it was after I came round from the anaesthetic for my first operation. ( I had two further ops to clear the margins)

Love Debbie
Old 07-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
debski

sorry about the time delays- I am in England
Old 07-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
CLTann

Andi,

with your background of belief as well as the out of balance state of your health functions, it is perhaps natural for you to consider seeing a Chinese tradition doctor. The balancing of Yin and Yang may be the culprit that is bugging you. Just a thought. I know of no specific doctor in your area that has expertise in your problem.

Best wishes.

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Great Suggestion, Ann!

Yes, much is out of balance yet I FEEL so in sync w/Life. Except of course for my husband's recent health problems, which I've discussed with the ladies on this board all over the place (in CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC, in urticaria, ?in Vitamin D, in 11.3 HGB and shaky, if you haven't noted).

Clearly Paul's state of health at this moment is my top priority and is leaving me SHAKY. My dizziness is due to stress and/or low red bld cells (for ME, only feeling *normal when 13+). Internally I feel harmonious, despite the 3 trips to the emerg rm in 1 wk and several sleepovers at the hosp for Paul. Doing EVERYTHING the 2 of us generally do is further trying, and telling my kids a lot, but not all, is making me rethink laying it on them. They just don't seem to get it. Being the spouse of someone having major medical problems is the most scary place to be. As the patient, I was calm, full of joy and serenity BELIEVING I would be find after all was said and done w/my bc diagnosis. I was busy reassuring every one, because I truly felt I KNEW I was going to be fine.

Most of the time, in between praying for Paul to snap back after this mnth of horrors, seeing him so weak, so sleepy, so not Paul, my world has seemed upside down. Amazing. Bc left me grounded more than ever, more loving, more understanding, more forgiving, more generous than ever before. In this position w/Paul I am a bit of a mess, though I have been meditating (even while waiting or visiting in the hosp). I talk to the ladies on this board to vent, and I feel rejuvenated. Strong, reinvigorated and ready to face anything. When Paul collapsed in my arms and was losing consciousness, as I was commanding him to STAY WITH ME, PAUL (just like in the movies) I was terrified by the situation and by such words coming out of mouth. Saying (not asking) I'M CALLING AN AMBULANCE is jarring. I thought I was losing him. His eyes rolling back, speech slurred. First we thought stroke, tests showed no. Then w/the cathter and drinking for the dehydration and having urine retention, we feared -- where is all that liquid going. Is it renal failure. All tests are coming back fine. He has ORTHSTATIC HYPOTENSION (collapsing when changing position, standing, getting up from lying down, bending and losing consciousness). He staggers a bit (beside the broken foot from the 1st fall). Now he is walking even slower than he was, so very weak, stooped, sleeping a lot, somewhat confused (but then so am I, so much has happened in the last mnth). I all began with a raging case of Shingles, beginning w/exquisite pain, nausea, vomiting, fluish feeling, chills, feverish, but no fever. Then finally (after orthopedist and internist and MRI to check if the back was involved) the raging rash came. I'm wiped out physically, running, walking the dogs, watching Paul's every move, keeping on top of things at the hosp (a dangerous place to be, where things get missed or forgotten like clockwork). You need someone there overseeing.

I appreciate your input, Ann. I have accepted all the glitches in my medical saga as being nothing compared to bc, and totally under control. I haven't delved into their derivation, busily scrutinizing how the bc found the opportunity to strike, and strike again. Preoccupied with staying STABLE/NED in that area has gotten my full attention. Perhaps I should start to question all the rest that is a bit amiss.

I would love to see a Yin Yang man. I will ask around. I have a friend Iris (long time bc survivor who is 10 yrs older than me and looks and is fabulous. She is 100% into holistic medicine, supplements, etc. and is very knowledgeable and on top of her game. I will see her Wed. night, God willing. NOW I SOUND LIKE MY PAPA IKE! But it is reflective of the uncertainty I feel re my Paul. With loving energy to you, ANDI

Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 AM   #11
LisaElder1972

Oh my,I have often thought of this connection.I broke out in hives for 2 years,lost my job because of it.When you have urticaria,the body releases histamine,which causes the hives.It is the immune system turning on us.Then we have a weaker or no immune system to protect us.
Lisa
LisaElder1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:23 AM   #12
Carol H.

I'm so glad you brought up the subject of hives! We may be on to something. A year and a half before my cancer I broke out in hives. After the first breakout I had two more over the next few months. It would just start out of nowhere, starting on my torso then spreading all over my body. My lips swelled right along with my tongue. I could barely talk. Usually took two weeks to clear up with meds. It was so painful, I didn't know if a spider bit me or was I allergic to something? My blood work was all normal and the allergist said I'll probably never know what caused it. Maybe it is the body telling us something is wrong? Carol H.
Infiltrating Carcinoma
Stage 1
Grade 11
1.5 cm
Sentinel Lymph Node Neg.
ER-
PR-
Her2+
Fish 2.5 Amplied
KI-67 20%
Radiation= 6 weeks
Refused Chemo & Herceptin
Carol H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 AM   #13
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Wow!

A signal from the body that something is very wrong -- beyond the hives. Holistic docs look beyond the symptoms to get at the root of the problem. Yes, we are on to something!

The immune system hamstrung and misfiring, leaving us open to all kinds of other reprecussions. Any one else?