HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-21-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Sandy H

Still waiting for Tykerb!

Well, here it is going on 10 weeks. Was told today, after signing forms, it would be here on Monday Aug. 28th. I did tell them I just don't think we should have to wait this long!! She said its because I am the first to get it at my hospital and so all the paperwork had to be done and the next patients it would much easier and not take so long. I told her I would hope so and that would be wonderful but it still does not help me. Patients can die in that length of time!!! I felt bad because last week I got angry with the Data Manager and she called me every day to see if I was o.k.!!! I told her I am sorry I am wasting everyone's time on so much paperwork as it seems that is all I have heard. I told her my cancer isn't hearing a word she is telling me as it keeps right on working eating up my body and killing me. My skin mets do not show up on any scans, or tumor markers so it looks as though I am fine. I told her when your chest feels like it is covered with bacon fat burning and nothing stops it then 10 weeks is a long time to wait!!! Well, I had to vent and so we continue to wait and I know its only 7 more days but that is still a long time when bacon fat is on fire!!!! My heart goes out to others who may be in the waiting mode. Looks like if you are the first one to get it at your facility then you have a long wait. I asked her what about those that don't have the time to wait?? I am praying its not too late for me. Thanks for listening to me vent. I had a call from our dear Angel Christine last evening and I felt so much better after talking to her it made me feel like someone really cares about us!!! hugs, Sandy

Last edited by Sandy H; 08-21-2006 at 04:09 PM..
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Maggie

Sandy,

I'm so sorry you have to wait so long for the report. How terribly scarry all this waiting must be for you. I can't even imagine!

Please keep us posted!

Hugs to you,
Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Becky

Dear Sandy

I am thinking about you all the time. It is hard to always stay so strong. I am amazed at you, your positive and fighting spirit. The wait will be over soon. Is there something (like Xeloda ointment) that your onc can give you to help relieve some of the skin symptoms and put that at ease for a couple of days? I am sure this is a mundane statement on my part as you have been waging this battle for quite a few years and very successfully too. You are a hero to all of us.

Big hugs and kisses to you. I am praying hard and Monday will be here before you know it.

Love, Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
RhondaH

Smile Prayers are with you...

Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Barbara H.

Sandy, I do care about you and the thought of what you are going through with the skin mets sounds awful. I hope that your Tykerb arrives on Monday.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
Sandy H

Becky, I never thought about the xeloda cream. I talked to my doctor about it last year and he said it would be worth a try and I forgot about it. I may ask him about it. He said it could be compounded. I love this site always someone ready to help and give us suggestions. We all understand each other in a nonjudgemental way. Anyway, I am going to camp Thursday evening and returning Monday in time for my appointment. My husband went this past weekend and I chose to stay home so did not have his support. I love it there no phone, TV, or doorbells ringing or appointments to worry about. I can listen to music or have it quiet. Thank you all for encouragement its what I need right now. hugs, Sandy
Old 08-21-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
chrisy

Sandy,

I think about you every day and when I saw the title on your post I just let out this exasperated ARGGG (or something like that). You are certainly entitled to vent and although you felt the need to apologize to your paper-shufflers, don't ever say YOU are wasting THEIR time. I think it is the other way around.

It does sound like they do care, are on your side and doing their best, but they simply cannot understand it or want it the same way you do. I bet your description of the pain you are in got their attention - it sure got mine! I don't think I'll ever be able to eat bacon again (probably a good thing)

I'm so distressed you are having to go through this and hope with all my might that they do NOT miss their promised date. You're a true pioneer - sorry it has been so difficult. And don't even THINK about it being too late!
Much love,
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:03 AM   #8
lindaw

Dear Sandy

I haven't posted much lately I am very tired - started radiation last week after gemzar failed. I have been watching , waiting and hoping each time I look I will see your email saying you have Tykerb. I will also let my onc know how long it takes cause I think i may be the first to ask about ithere.

Keep waiting and enjoy that break.

love
lindaw
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:42 AM   #9
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile Sorry Sandy

that you are STILL waiting...

I certainly know what that is like. But it does sound like you are getting very close now. If you have signed the consent forms, had your echo, CT scan and they are formerly enrolling, it should be soon like they say. One they get the drug they will give you a quick look over and hand you the drug and away you go. Do you know the dosage for the Xeloda?

I was told 3300 mg daily was the starting protecol. I have 3 days left of my first cycle of the Xeloda now. Thursday is my last day for first cylcle and we leave on Friday for our trip. I have blood drawn on Wed. and see the onc on Thursday for results. Normally its drawn after 3 weeks but since we were scheduled to leave on our trip, we have to do at the 2 week period. We are all trying to work as best we can with the time frame of the trip. It will work out. I think they may have to reduce my dosage though of the Xeloda since I am getting mouth/throat sores and a bit of upset stomach. Great way to travel huh, but got to do what I got to do. Hopefully a lesser dose will work out for me. I took Xeloda a few years back and had to reduce then also. If I wasn't traveling it would not be so worrisome.

I will check in before I leave to see if you have heard anything new if not have a great time camping. It will do your mind and soul a lot of good.

Good luck Sandy
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:11 AM   #10
tousled1

Sandy,

Sorry to hear the frustration you are going through. Hopefully, as they promised, the Tykerb will be here soon and you can go to camp and relax. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Sandy H

Irene,m my oncologist said I need 3300 mgs but it comes in 500's and he says he doesn't like splitting chemo pills so it will be either 3000 or 3500. I told him better go with the 3000 because that is what I was on last time and it killed my feet at 3 months. Was unable to wear shoes! Have you had the rash on the face? He told me it can cause one like acne. I am so happy you are going to go on your trip. We all deserve trips and as many as we can do. hugs, Sandy
Old 08-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
rinaina

I feel for your frustration and everyone else's on here. There is too much of it. I pray the next 7 days go quickly for you and that tykerb will be the answer. Hang in there is all I can say.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Hey Sandy`

Did you doctor say if the rash was from the Tykerb or the Xeloda?
I dont have a rash. So far the mouth sores and upset stomach and I am thinking that is from the Xeloda. And I know that the feet/hand thingy will come too. I had to deal with that the last time.

FYI - and your onc should know this. Xeloda does come in 150 mg pills so it does give them more room to play around with dosages if need be. I really want to stay on the protocol dose of 3300 mg but lets see what developes.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:31 AM   #14
sfernando

Hi Sandy and all,

Sandy, at least the paperwork has been set in motion and you have a date to look forward to. I hope there are no delays, and I hope it works miracles on you.

I've been trying to get lapatinib, now known as Tykerb, for over a year, a few months before anyone at the hospital knew what I was talking about.

Last month, a scientist came to the hospital with guidelines for compassionate use, of which I qualify. I asked if I could get it and was told they would check. This month I was told that the tumor board decided not to apply because it would come in too late for me, that I would be dead before it could get here in Hawaii, (Trippler Army Medical Center) due to all the paperwork.

I've been on continual high dose chemo since May 05 for lymph system tumors and have about run out of options, being that I'm hormone negative and haven't responded to herceptin since month three. My last ct scan shows multiple small tumors now in my lungs, and I feel they have just given up on me.

Someone who reads this board asked me to ask Joe for the name and contact number of the Tykerb person. Joe? Is there a way to cut through the excess time required to receive Tykerb as compassionate use?

Any help on expiditing this may help to extend my life. I really want to see all three of my children grown and graduated from high school, but that would take 6 more years and a miracle would be needed for sure.

Thanks for any assistance,

Sharon

Last edited by sfernando; 08-24-2006 at 07:46 AM..
sfernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #15
Joe
Webmaster

Sharon,

I emailed you GSK's number. In the meantime contact:

Lapatinib EAP Call Center, Kealakekua, Hawaii, 96750, United States; Not yet recruiting
G. Kashef 888-489-5372

I don't know if you ever read Ginger Empey's story about the Herceptin Clinical Trials, but she was the first one recruited because of her persistance.

Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #16
sfernando

Thank you Joe

for your amazingly quick reply. I will be taking this info with me to the doctor this morning.

Sharon
Old 08-25-2006, 07:12 AM   #17
sfernando

Tykerb not released for compassionate use - approval projected for early 2007

According to my oncologist and her conversation with the drug company, Tykerb has not been relased anywhere for compasionate use. It has been released for expanded use, sort of like a less strict protocol.

In order to qualify, one must not qualify for any other trials. She says that even though Herceptin failed me, there is a trial in another state that is testing herceptin with tykerb, that I would qualify for, so I don't qualify for Tykerb that way.

She said the projected approval date is early 2007, perhaps April.

Can anyone verify this information, that it has not been released yet except under the expanded (or expansion) program? I feel like I've had so much conflicting information I'm going to explode.

Sharon
Old 08-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #18
Joe
Webmaster

Sharon,

I believe they mean local trials. I don't think another state qualifies. GSK's official release in on our clinical trials page.

Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #19
Lisa

Sfernando,

Is Hawaii on another planet? How could they possible tell you that you'd be dead before you could get the Tykerb???

Since Sept. 03, I've dealt with mets to the liver, brain, bones and lymph nodes. I've been on one chemo after another. And I'm still hanging on. Do NOT listen to the tumor board. In fact, why not send them a dozen black roses?

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #20
RobinP

Boy, I am surprised how hard it is to get Tykerb. I just hope it is FDA released soon. I hear mixed reports of that date. Is it this fall or next year?