HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Donna

Hearing Loss Anyone?

Hi All, and wishing you a great day!

I was wondering if anyone else had inner ear and hearing problems related to their chemotherapy regimen? I just finished my four dose dense treatments with Adriamycin/Cytoxan and during the last two, my hearing has changed dramatically. I am not sure, but headaches may be related???

Ototoxicity is not a side effect listed for these meds - there are other chemos where this would be a common side effect.

Anyone else experience this and if so, what can be done for it if anything?

Thanks so much. This group and all the information I garner from it is wonderful.

Donna Milliron
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
sadie

What's that? Hearing loss? eh?
lol
Oh boy, do I have the hearing loss! I always did have Tinnitus; but during my AC regimen, my hearing starting getting worse. Ringing in the ears became louder and louder. Got worse during Herceptin/Taxol regimen. Once I finished the Taxol, it stopped getting worse, but never got better.
Eye-sight is really bad too. I notice that it's worse the week after having my Herceptin-only treatment. It slowly improves, then it's time for another treatment.
Hope you have better luck than I have had. Of course, compared to the alternative......
A couple of months ago, I remember another thread having to do with hearing loss.
Maybe people just wrote about it in the Herceptin side-effects thread.
Check it out, because there were alot of responses about the hearing loss.
Take care.
Sentinel node neg
Her2+++
ER+ / PR weakly+
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
tousled1

And I thought I was the only one with eyesight and hearing problems! I thought it was just age related! Mine too is getting worse since starting Herceptin.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Joy

me too

Hi Donna, i swore that my hearing decreased during carbo/taxol even though i found inconsistent information to support my experience. I have been off of those for about 2 months and i'm sure it is better. I really didn't want my mom to be right about all those concerts catching up to me.

I hope your hearing issues resolve swiftly.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
Her2nSue

hearing loss

I haven't been on in a while, but this sure caught my eye. I'm not alone in having to sound like an old woman with "can you repeat that, I couldn't hear you". I just thought either I'm not connecting the dots when someone speaks to me or any background noise drowns out the conversation. But when it continues at home and between me and my daughter, I know theres a problem. Currently still doing herceptin since Feb. and still have a couple of more months to go. I hope my hearing improves after this is all done with.
Good luck to you all, too.
Sue
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Bev

After AC, during T & H my ears blocked up with some ringing. That has cleared up 7 mos down the road. My vision has been worsening. I hope that will level off as well. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
G. Ann

I'm so glad you brought this point up. I've had ringing in ears for 10 years or so, but it's much worse now and a higher pitch. It's very annoying. Perhaps it is the Herceptin that has made it worse.

G. Ann
G. Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:40 AM   #8
lisahammo

Hi Donna

I haven't been on for a couple of months either, but I too have experienced hearing loss. My onc told me it was caused by the chemo. I can actually pinpoint the night it started. It is tinnitus, and I had an MRI to check for brain mets, but thankfully that was all clear. So, just hearing loss, and I have also noticed my eyesore has also become worse, however the optometrist tells me that's just age.

Good luck

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
heblaj01

Some relief from ringing in the ears (tinnitus) but not a cure

Since a few of the responders in this thread are afflicted with ringing in the hears I thought that the following might be of interest.
Tinnitus sufferers have reported some relief taking one of these supplements or drug:
melatonin
zinc citrate or zinc methionine
Cytotec (misoprostol)

As usual check with your caregiver before trying supplements.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/archi...n_the_ears.asp
New Hope for People with Ringing in the Ears April 3, 2006
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
Hopeful

I started tinnitus when I added an AI to Herceptin. Originally, it was Femara, but the ringing got so bad, my onc switched me to Arimidex. It has improved, but is still there. I did some research and found that there are estrogen receptors on the cells in the inner ear; I believe my tinnitus is related to low estrogen. I think Femara is supposed to get the levels a little lower than Arimidex. The change in drug made the difference for me between something that was driving me nuts every waking minute to a side effect that I am not always conscious of unless I focus on it.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
MGordon

Wink You all amaze me...

As is dealing with the disease is not enough - you all find it within yourselves to deal with the effects of these treatments everyday.

Let's see...

Memory Loss/Chemo brain
Dry AND Teary eyes
Hearing loss
Surgical/Port placement
Neuropathy
Bone pain
Anxiety

And this just scrathes the surface...

WOW -

Love and Light
Mel