HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
Freakzilla

Brain Met

Bad news the result of the MRI from yesterday showed a 4cm Brain met on the right hand side of the brain. The hospital then did a full body CT scan and it came back clear. The initial diagnosis 2 years ago was Stage 3B, ER+, HEr2+.

The results have been sent to Kings College Hospital.

We now have to wait and see if they will perform surgery, or radiosurgery.

My girlfriend is only 32, can't believe this is happening.

Can I ask everyone who has been through this, what is the best course of treatment?

Thanks
Freakzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Carol Ann

Re: Brain Met

I don't have advice but just wanted to say I am so sorry about what your girlfriend (and you) is going through. I am sure someone who has had experience with brain mets will respond soon.

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
tricia keegan

I'm so sorry but there are many ladies here who have fought brain mets successfully and I'm sure they'll be along soon to offer advice.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
thinkpositive

I'm so sorry to hear this news. For me personally, it is brain mets that I fear most. To have to face this news at 32 years of age must be real tough.

I do know that there are several folks including StephN who had/have brain mets and are doing well. There are also others who have been getting IT herceptin treatments and have also responded well. Hopefully, they will see your post and respond with some recommendations for you.

I will keep you and your friend in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care,
Brenda
9/2013 After 1st round of chemo, mass in neck and breast no longer able to feel
11/2013 Hysterectomy, mass from PET/CT scan not cancer (adenomylosis)
12/2013 Finished chemo
1/2014 Double mastectomy with chest expanders
1/2014 Pathology report from surgery and SNB show complete pathological response!
3/2014 Finish IMRT radiation
8/2014 Fat transfer to radiated breast
8/2014 Completed 1 yr of Herceptin
10/2014 exchange surgery expanders removed implants placed
6/2015 3D nipple and areola tattoos
thinkpositive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
tricia keegan

Try sending StephN a pm as I'm sure she'd be happy to help you with advice. I do remember some of the ladies saying they were pleased to do Gamma or lazer knife rather than whole brain radiation so maybe try googling that and I wish I could help you more.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Jackie07

Hi,

Brain mets are scary. But they are highly treatable. Below is one of the threads about brain mets. You can find more (threads/postings) by using the 'search' button on top. As you can see in the discussion, quite a few of our members have experienced brain mets and many of them have gotten rid of them by using a variety of treatment methods.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ain+metastasis

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 08-09-2015 at 01:32 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
StephN

Sorry to hear you now have brain mets as part of the diagnosis to deal with.
When I had gamma Knife for a 3cm tumor in my cerebellum, that was the size limit for that kind of radio therapy treatment. I know there are other options now and I hope they can try cyberknife or another non-invasive treatment. Depending on the location they may try surgery and then some sort of radiation to the surgery site.

Let us know how things are moving, as I am sure treating her brain will be the priority now.

As Bonnie here always says, Keep the Faith.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:44 AM   #8
DizzyDo

Hello Freakzilla -

I also had brain mets - three total, found last December. All treated with SRS. Other than having the dex steroids change me into a raging lunatic, the treatment worked very well. It's super scary to hear the words brain tumor, but they are very treatable. There are several options to treatment. All the best to you and your gf.
Jan 2014: stage 4. pain right side, found "too many to individually account for" liver mets. Found right axilla lymph nodes and nearby mass (source). Lung, lymph and bone mets. Brain clear by MRI. Er and pr neg, HER2 +++
Feb 2014: herceptin, perjeta, taxol
July 2014: no active disease, only bone scars and 1 liver scar! Tumor markers all normal again.
Dec 2014: seizure, 3 brain mets (15, 5 and 3 mm)
Feb 2015: Linac Stereotactic Radiation for brain mets
June 2015: no new brain mets, old ones greatly reduced in size. Bod still no active disease
October 2015: New brain Met, zapped by Stereotactic rads, watching another spot
Jan 2016: The other spot grew, zapped again. Still on herceptin and perjeta every 3 weeks
DizzyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:59 AM   #9
Freakzilla

Thank you everyone. Hopefully Surgery or Radiosurgery will be able to be done.

Just got to wait now.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #10
forher

Hi, I'm a met-ster. I have several. I wanted to commend you the support your are giving your girlfriend. It's undoubtedly a scary time for the both of you. My husband also started coming here for advice for me but "dropped out" because he was saddened to hear of progression. (But if you need a positive thread, read the one about StephN and her 10 years of NED after brain mets, my husband loves that thread!) So I'm here using his username. Both of you will get through this. There are many brain met-sters here and we have all opted for different types of treatment. It might take different combos or new drugs/therapies might be available. My advice is to read about it all and choose what fits best for her. Please keep us posted. I always think about my brain mets sisters. All my best.
BMX Dec 2013
28 Rads Feb 2014
Exchange surgery June 2014
Herceptin end Sept 2014
Headaches start Oct 2014
CT body clear Nov 2014
Brain MRI 4 lesions Nov 2014
SRS via LINAC in Dec 2014
Rt side infection, hospitalized, lost right implant on Jan 1, 2015
Jan 14 2015 MRI brain lesions shrinking
Jan 27 2015 Re-start herceptin every 3 weeks
Feb 2015 CT/PET Body clear
Re-start Lymphedema treatment April 2015
Breast MRI clear April 2015
Brain MRI April 2015 - shows everything stable, nothing new (whew)
CT scan June 2015 - clear
forher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:44 AM   #11
Freakzilla

Thanks, has anyone had good success with WBRT?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
JessicaV

Hi, this was posted by Lani last year, might be of help:
for those choosing between whole brain rad therapy and stereotactic (gamma or cyberkn
ife) the following, fresh off the press, may help in your deliberations. Obviously, only a radiation therapist with expertise can advise you as to whether your tumor is "limited" and whether there are likely to be other sites involved, whether the size of your lesion is best dealt with one way or the other, but this is the first time I have seen objectified evidence of visible changes which occurred with wbr but not with srs (with one exception in the article below)

J Neurooncol. 2014 Dec 2. [Epub ahead of print]
White matter changes in breast cancer brain metastases patients who undergo radiosurgery alone compared to whole brain radiation therapy plus radiosurgery.
Stokes TB1, Niranjan A, Kano H, Choi PA, Kondziolka D, Dade Lunsford L, Monaco EA 3rd.
Author information
Abstract
Delayed toxicity after whole brain radiation therapy (WBRT) is of increasing concern in patients who survive more than one year with brain metastases from breast cancer. Radiation-related white matter toxicity is detected by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and has been correlated with neurocognitive dysfunction. This study assessed the risk of developing white matter changes (WMC) in breast cancer patients who underwent either WBRT plus stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) or SRS alone. We retrospectively compared 35 patients with breast cancer brain metastases who received WBRT and SRS to 30 patients who only received SRS. All patients had evaluable imaging at a median of one year after their initial management. The development of white matter T2 prolongation as detected by T2 or FLAIR imaging was graded: grade 1 = little or no white matter T2 hyperintensity; grade 2 = limited periventricular hyperintensity; and grade 3 = diffuse white matter hyperintensity. After WBRT plus SRS, patients demonstrated a significantly higher incidence of WMC (p < 0.0001). After one year, 71.5 % of patients whose treatment included WBRT demonstrated WMC (42.9 % grade 2; 28.6 % grade 3). Only one patient receiving only SRS developed WMC. In long-term survivors of breast cancer, the risk of WMC was significantly reduced when SRS alone was used for management. Further prospective studies are necessary to determine how these findings correlate with neurocognitive toxicity. WBRT usage as initial management of limited brain disease should be replaced by SRS alone to reduce the risk of delayed white matter toxicity.
PMID: 25445836 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
Freakzilla

Thanks You.

I'm not sure if it will be too big a lesion for Radio Surgery. I Hope not.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
Lani

as understand it, It was explained to me 18-19 years ago by the neurosurgeon @ Stanford who invented the cyberknife) the cyberknife's specialty is esopecially well suited for large tumors because its pin point accuracy let's a surgeon go back and zap the tumor in several sessions without overradiating nearby spots because the positioning is not exactly the same each session even when gamma knife is used with a "halo" and any overlap of fields between sessions opens the possibility of nearby areas receiving too high a dose.

cyberknifes appear to be available @ PA, The Royal Marsden Hospital in London, England, The Barts Cancer Center at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in London, England, the London CLinic and the Harley Clinic

Hope this helps.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
Freakzilla

Thanks Lani,

So if a tumor is say 5cm in Diameter it could be treated by Cyberknife over multiple sessions?
Old 08-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #16
agness

I had a small egg-sized tumor that developed after successful systemic therapy last year, also stage 3B. My life was endangered and my tumor was at the back of my brain on the cerebellum so I had emergency surgery three weeks ago. Ideals I much better than before as the edema, vomiting and painful chronic headaches were crazy difficult. A craniotomy isn't a walk in the park though and it has been very fatiguing on top of the illness my tumor caused prior to my operation.

I'm due to have SRS in a few weeks.

I read up a lot about HER2 brain Mets and current articles from June this years at with new targeted therapies that all bets are off for us -- that our survival might trump anything seen before.

My oncology wi be doing actice monitoring going forward include g spinal taps to look for circulating tumor cells as well as scans. We won't step up treatment until it is called for as targeted therapies are hard on the nervous system and body. A little like walking on eggshells but for now I have less disease than I have for months, I'm feeling a lot better and so Im focusing on building my body back up to prepare for any eventualities.

I saw a naturopathic oncologist at the start of my diagnosis and his additional blood labs showed deep deficiencies in serum zinc, ferritin (iron stores), magnesium (red blood cell magnesium us more definitive) and D3, plus crazy high levels of copper. In my situation it was extended breastfeeding and being an older mom trying to do too much that seemed behind my disease formation. I recommend getting these levels checked so you can work on trying to correct imbalances. In my case cutting back on copper containing foods (shellfish, coffee, chocolate, avocado) and pushing extra zinc (60mg a day) was able to deplete the copper. Supplementing actively and slowly with magnesium on top of my healthy diet helped to correct that deficiency. I'm still working on boosting my iron levels but I got my period back which was working against me. Improving one's zinc and magnesium levels improves vitamin D absorption and activation plus I'm getting more sunshine.

I hope this is helpful to you. Sorry for your girlfriend's duseae progression but she's not alone and we have options in our arsenal. Do try to take care of yourself too to stay strong for you both.

Best,

Ann
  • 10/27/15 atypical uptake in right cerebellum - inflammation?
  • 12/1/15 Leptomeningeal dx. Starting IT Herceptin.
  • 1/16 - 16 fractions of tomotherapy to cerebellum, break of IT Herceptin during rads, resume at 100 mg weekly
  • 3/2016 - stable scan
  • 5/2016 stable scan
  • 7/2016 pseudoprogression?
  • 9/2016 more LM, start new chemo protocol and IV therapy treatment with HBOT
  • 11/2016 Cyberknife to temporal lobe, HBOT just prior
  • 12/2016 - lesions starting to show shrinkage
  • 8/2017 - Stable since Dec 2016. Temporal lobe lesion gone.
  • Using TCM, naturopathic oncology, physical therapy, chiro, massage, medical qigong, and energetic healing modalities in tandem. Stops at nothing.
  • Mother of 2 boys - ages 7 and 10 (8/2017) and a lovely partner with lots to live for.
agness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #17
Freakzilla

We saw the neurosurgeon today. He's confident he can remove all of the tumour. If not the rest will be picked up with Radiosurgery. This will be done in a maximum of 11 days.

They will look at Radiosurgery after for a boost in the area and WBRT.

What other treatment has everyone had after this has been done?
Old 08-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #18
Becky

I would not consider wbr as it can only be done once. Surgery then stereotactic or gamma or cyber knife. Tykerb ( a her2 targeted pill) 5 per day and a chemo - Xeloda and/or Temodor of ( also in pill forms) all pass the blood brain barrier. You should talk to your medical onc about this as a possibility. Of she is still on Herceptin, do NOT stop as it is keeping the body clear.

This is written only for ideas and discuss with her medical team.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"

Last edited by Becky; 08-17-2015 at 02:20 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 AM   #19
JessicaV

I too would question the WBR, as it seems to have some far-reaching negative effects that need to at least be discussed with you.
Neurosurgeons may not know as much about HER2+ breast cancer treatment options as medical oncologists so I think it very important to have a good medical oncologist in on the discussion, and to delay things if necessary to get it right. HER2+ tumors grow frighteningly fast but are often almost miraculously responsive to the targetted therapies. And some people on this board have had excellent results with cyberknife.
Sorry if this sounds like I am encouraging you to rock the boat just when you want to get moving, but as Becky says, it sounds like more discussion with medical team including medical oncologist may be wise.
I wish you all the best
Jessica
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:44 AM   #20
Freakzilla

Thank You everyone,

I too have concerns over WBRT. Our medical oncologist is thinking about using it now after surgery and radiosurgery boost or not. I would rather leave that, in case it is needed later. We are in the UK and Tykerb is no longer used due to cost. I'm hoping Kadcyla is an option, as it seems to be the only HER2 treatment that crosses the BBB which is used in the UK.

Thanks again.