HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
WayTooYoung

Zoladex...

Hiya,

So, I hesitantly started Zoladex today. My oopherectomy has been booked for May. Once I get confirmation that my ovaries are shut down, I will start Femera and Herceptin. Has anyone had any experience using this combo for treatment? All the studies I find seem to show how it is successful in preventing recurrences.

Any help is appreciated.
Jul 2010- Mastectomy +12 lymphs (4+)
Oct 2010- Radiation/Begin Herceptin (Her2 was overlooked by my Onco!)
Sep 2011- End of Herceptin
Nov 2011- Recurrence-->Chest Wall, muscle, and possible lymph (ER+, PR-, Her2+++)...WTF!!!???!!!
Feb 2012-Randomized for Clinical Trial
Feb 2012- Begin blind study either TDM1 w/Pertuzumab or TDM1 w/Placebo Pertuzumab
Jan 2013-2nd Recurrence, off TDM1...what next?
Feb 2013-chest wall resection
Feb 2013-Begin Zoladex :(
Apr 2013-Begin Femara
Jul 2013-Oopherectomy + both tubes
Oct 2013-Chest wall recurrence same spot...Dr monitor
Nov 2013-New nodule on chest...restaging...bone/ct clear...continue to monitor
Mar 2014-Surgeon fr/dif hospital confirms lung metasis based on review of CT scan from Nov...Onc recommends Aromasin/Affinitor...
Apr 2014-Start Herceptin+Vinorelbine
Sep 2014-New pain in lower back, MRI confirms metastasis
Oct 2014-SBRT to lungs
Nov 2014-SBRT to lower back
Dec 2014-Restaging confirms two new nodules to lungs and lower spine :(
Jan 2015-Xeloda and Tykerb (good response)
Aug 2015-Xeloda/Tykerb not working...Dr wants to try Taxol/Herceptin combo...problem, Herceptin not covered by OHIP
Sep 2015-Begin Taxol continue Xgeva
Oct 2015-Add Herceptin
Nov 2015-CT stable but MRI shows new mets to spine :(
Jan/Feb 2016-Start Erubulin (Halavan)
May 2016-Progression...Stop Erubulin
June 2016-PMH to explore Clinical Trial options...consideration for Immunotherapy
July 2016-Screening for Trial...Still without treatment, experiencing low appetite, low energy, pain, and rapid wieght loss...cachexia???

You never know how STRONG you really are...until being strong is the only CHOICE you have...
WayTooYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
mamacze

Re: Zoladex...

Hi Angel,
I am so sorry I don't know much about Zoladex, or Femara...but I do know about oopherectomies. You are WAYTOOYOUNG (!!) to have to deal with all this; but please make sure you ask your doctor about how you can maintain a (how do I say this delicately?!), healthy sex life! After an oopherectomy, many of us need a bit of help in this area and it is better to address it sooner; before a problem arises, than later. It is not something our docs like to talk about usually, but for your own mental and physical health, it is good to address it early.
Good luck and stay with us. Let us know how you are doing after the surgery.
Hugs and hugs,
Kim (from CT)

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
tricia keegan

I've been taking the sister drug Arimidex but just wanted to tell you I had an ooph back in '06 and have no regrets, it was the easiest surgery I ever had, good luck with the Femara and Herceptin and hope it works well for you and be sure to get a Dexa scan first as a baseline to measure your bone density.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
sarah

don't know about zoladex but I took Herceptin and Femara for 6 years. I did have some skin problems and I had some bone loss due to the Femara and had to take Clastoban to protect them. I was told to take the Femara at night to lessen the side effects.
hope it goes well. It's been 2 years since I stopped both but now after what I've read, those of us who are ER+ should take an anti hormone drug for much longer than 5 years - maybe forever?????
take care
sarah
Old 02-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
JennyB

Hi Waytooyoung,

I too had to take Zoladex shots after I became aware of hormonal symptoms (onc completely denied that this would be possible but I kind of went behind his back and ordered blood test....!!)
Anyway the shots were easy to manage and I luckily didn't have a lot side affects, I took Tamoxifen for 2 months then went back to Femara with Zoladex. I then had the Oopherectomy, a very easy procedure, but as Kim said above it isn't without ramifications. I feel sometines like I rushed the decision to have the Ooph and didn't fully research the side effects down the line. don't get me wrong - I think at the time I would have given a leg if it would increase my survival chances - I don't regret the operation but I didn't fully understand the consequences on ovarall health in the long term re bones heart etc and yes sexual health. However you would have the issues anyway due to zoladex and Femara so just talk to Onc and Gynae and be proactive instead of reactive (bury your head in the sand kind of approach like me!) Get drugs/creams now to protect your vagina and maintain its health.
I think that you're right in your statement about reducing recurrences that is what i read too. You are doing everything you can at the moment.
Good luck with your op
Jenny x
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
roz123

jennyB and others
can you have lupron (zoladex) shots indefinitely or is this just used until you get an ooph? I am hesitating on getting my ovaries out due to the issues jennyb mentioned
why do some MO's recommend and others dont?
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
JennyB

Roz, I beleive that you can stay on Zoladex for up to 5 years - there was a women at my cancer centre that had done that so that she could try for another child afterwards.
I am not saying I wouldn't have done the Ooph anyway but we were moving to remote town with no oncology unit and no possiblity of having the op there either - it was just a decision I rushed because of circumstances rather than taking my time over it. A bit like my mastectomy really happened 6 days after meeting the surgeon and I was pregnant so really not in a headspace to process what was really happening to me!
S**t happens - eh?

Jen x
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Lien

I was diagnosed at age 44 and did 5 years of zoladex shots combined with Arimidex. After I quit the shots, my periods came back a year later. I had very few side effects, but did have significant bone density loss. I am 53 now and my periods have petered out. I had very few menopausal problems. I never had Herceptin and am 9 years out from diagnosis. Soon after my periods came back, we saw several cysts in my breasts on the annual ultrasound. I had a biopsy done last Sept. which came back benign. It was a bit worrysome, but not a very big deal. Last week I went skiing and made a nasty fall on an icy patch, but no fractures! Yeah! So either my bone density improved, or I got lucky.

I liked the fact that the Zoladex shots protected me against a recurrence, but were reversible. If I were you, I would go for the reversible option (Zoladex shots) for a couple of years and see how you do re. cholesterol, heart health, sexual health and bone density. These are very real issues and a hip fracture can kill you, just like breastcancer. You need to be able to weigh the pro's and cons. I would talk to other doctors besides oncologists if I were you. You are still so young! You need to consider all these things. Zoladex can buy you the time to figure out what works for you.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
roz123

LIEN
the bone density issues...can't we take something for that? do they reverse after you stop Lupron or once that happens is it permanent?
Jen - I feel the same way about my reconstruction choice...bad one (for me) but you deal and move on. Im trying to take a level headed approach this time - I think the zoladex can do that for me but I do worry about those se's aswell - there is no perfect scenario it seems
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Lien

Bisphosphonates are recommended for boneloss, but they have side effects and I am allergic to lots of stuff, so I try to avoid meds if there are alternatives. Exercise can help, as does adequate Vit D & calcium. I believe some research showed that even though the meds improved bone density, they didn't reduce the incidence of fractures. But I didn't look into it so it may have been a fluke or bad research. I just didn't want to take them.

For me, the bone loss stopped after two years on Zoladex and Arimidex. It stayed stable. And I didn't have my bonedensity tested after I quit the meds, as I live in the Netherlands and we try to avoid tests just for the sake of knowing where we stand.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote