HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
charlotte

Zometa...

Well, here I am again..... this is the only med ,my Dr. has me on now.... still trying to get to be able to take herception... has to stop due to heart issues...
anyway , is anyone out there having side effects? from this medication...if so, what??

I think I am having some , that I wasnt prepared for...I don't know if some are real or "imagined"?? I have some pain with each infusion and just feel yucky for about 4-5 days.... and a few more, that I will mention later ....

thanks so much for all the help with answers,.... this is a great group of folks to help out each other....

Charlotte
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
heblaj01

Charlotte,

If you haven't done so, try taking a Tylenol one hour before the intravenous injection & ask the nurse to make the infusion last 30 minutes (or more if necessary) instead of the standard 15 minutes. Then take a tylenol every 6 hours or so in the first 24 hours. This should completely prevent or reduce such side effects such as joint pain, fever etc..
If this is successful you may be able to reduce the number of tylenol pills for subsequent I.V.'s

Last edited by heblaj01; 03-13-2007 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: typo error
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
icatsl

I have flu like symptons for the 3-4 days after treatment. Day 1-2 my throat is scratchy like there is drainage. I have noticed that my hair was curly/body and is now straight and finer. Has anyone else had these side effects?
icatsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
Chelee

Charlotte, I know when I first started on herceptin I had a few problems...but the longer I've been on it...I noticed nothing now. But the first month I was on herceptin...it was my 3rd weekly infusion of herceptin and my onc decided "less was more", and decided to give me the herceptin *without* the benedryl, and for some reason I had problems. Had some serious wheezing going on and tightness in my chest. So after that I have always requested the benedryl which I really wish I didn't have to take. But I am at the end of my year and I swear...I can't even tell I've had herceptin after my infusion? I don't even have the runny nose now. Its like my body has adjusted to it. (That or they have water in my bag.) lol

The main side affects I use to deal with was on the first day of infusion. Even with the tylenol I would get a bad headache and feel a touch nauseated. Not bad though..very minor. The main thing was how extremely *tired* I would feel the day of. But the next day I was pretty much back to normal other then sometimes an on-going headache and runny nose. (Drip, drip, drip.)

I have NO idea if it helps, but as already mentioned. I personally get my infusion drawn out. If its weekly I have my nurse give it to me a touch over 30 minutes...and if its the 3 week dose, I do 90 minutes. I don't know if that helps or makes a difference...but so far I've been fine. (knock wood.) I hope in time things work out so you can have it.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote