HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #21
fauxgypsy

Re: can people chime in as to what insurance companies they have and what troubles

Oh, by the way, I just found out last week what my part (after insurance) of the DIEP surgery will be if I have it in NOLO. I cried.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #22
yanyan

Re: can people chime in as to what insurance companies they have and what troubles

I have Health Net of CA. Each insurance company offers different plans, your benefit eg office visit copay, hospitalization and ect depend on what plan you have. I have an HMO and so far have had no problem with it. I wish i have a PPO incase i need it to participate in any clinical trial. I doubt HMO covers it since you are always referred to a doctor in their contract.
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #23
fauxgypsy

Just wanted to bump this back up. It is interesting (and sometimes disheartening) to see the differences in coverage.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #24
rachelhmmd

I work for the State of Maine and have Anthem Blue Cross. There really was no surgeon here with the experience to do bilateral DIEP reconstruction, and so I wanted to go to Boston for that surgery. Plus, I felt I would be happiest getting my treatment at a cancer center, so I wanted to go to Dana Farber for that as well. I had to FIGHT with my insurance company to make sure that happened. I kept getting the runaround, and kept demanding to speak to the medical director of the insurance company. I used my physician cred to get to there, and asked him what he would want for his mother, wife, daughter or sister. After that impassioned conversation, he promised I would have no further problems. And I haven't.

But, what if I had not been a doctor?

What an eye opener for me! Here I was in the midst of this medical/emotional crisis, when I was so overwhelmed in so many ways, and I had to fight and cry and demand in order to optimize my treatment.

And not only that, but when I could no longer work and had to pay for my health insurance at a time when I could least do without it, I realized how easily anyone could be financially devastated.
rachelhmmd is offline   Reply With Quote