HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
spiritualabundance

Anyone taking/taken Taxotere and Carboplatin with Herceptin???

I just met with the oncologist who is telling me he things the best course is to start together Herceptin with Taxotere and Carboplatin. He discussed length of treatment, side effects, etc. I just like to hear 'real life' information, side effects, results. Please post if you know anything or have any suggestions. I am scheduled to start November 30th.

It's been a hard day. This may have been one of the hardest I've had yet. I don't think I should have gone to this appointment alone. I need to fight. To survive. To be stronger. God has this. All glory to Him because He has saved me from so much more.

Thank you ladies for your help. <3
8/7/2015-Needle aspiration u/s biopsy. Doctor indicated looked malignant. (thanks doc!! the wait after that sucked)
8/20/2015-Diagnosed w ER+,PR+,HER2+ BC in L breast (now 46 years young.)
9/24/2015-Saw first surgeon, referred by oncologist. Great guy. Office staff not advocates.
10/12/2015-Met w Plastic Surgeon. Amazing doctor. Recommended not immediate due to chemo and 'just get the cancer out first' attitude. Will do recon with him after chemo is complete.
10/12/2015-Called first surgeon's office who told me that it's been too long since the first consult and will need to schedule another consult on 10/24 and then schedule surgery within 2-3 AFTER that date. (BITE ME)
10/12-Found a new surgeon.
10/15-Consulted with new FEMALE surgeon. She was AMAZING! Asked me if I wanted to do the surgery on Monday (in 5 days). Stunned and thrilled!!
10/26/15-Surgery for bilateral mastectomy, port placed, and 3 nodes removed for SNB. 3 drains installed.
10/28/15-home from the hospital to recover.
10/30/2015-Follow up with surgeon. Drains removed. Was told tumor was removed but had more than doubled in size from 1.3 to 2.9cm. 3 nodes removed, all negative. Healthy breast was clear but several suspicious areas on affected left breast. Looks to be Stage 2A. Oncologist appt next week.
11/5/2015-Follow up with oncologist. Planning to start chemotherapy (Herceptin, Taxotere, and Carboplatin together beginning November 30th). Very nervous about side effects, low white blood count, anemia, steriods, etc, etc, etc. I'm not usually one to medicate myself for anything. Not ready for this. Kinda scared.
11/30/2015 - Isaiah 41:10 today for sure. Today was my first day (round) of TCH chemo treatment. Before receiving the cocktail, I saw the doctor who delivered the news that my CT scans (abdomen, chest, and pelvis were all clear). Praise God!! Feeling okay right now after chemo, just a bit sleepy. We'll see how the Neulasta, along with the other effects, rear their lovely heads over the next few days. Prayers please, as always.
12/17/2015-Decided it was time to shave my head and face the music.
1/11/2016-Went in for 3rd treatment. UGG. Spoke to the doctor first. Asked him to reduce the Decadron. Agreed! From 10mg to 4mg dosage. YAY! It still worked and I was able to rest and live. Praise God. I jokingly told him if he felt like dropping some of my treatment, to feel free. Guess what?! He agreed! Agreed to drop my 6th treatment meaning that I now only have 2 left and in March I'll be able to begin the reconstruction process. Additionally, he agreed to schedule me for a brain MRI to just double check for any spread. Anxiously awaiting.
spiritualabundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
supportwife

Re: Anyone taking/taken Taxotere and Carboplatin with Herceptin???

My wife took Taxotere , carboplatin with herceptin and perjeta. IT was planned for 6 cycles, but after the 5 cycle, they dropped taxotere because of neuropathy. Taxanes are notorious for that. It is a manageable combo as long as you take the anti nausea meds proactively. Expect, severe constipation, low WBC, which means you have to get a neulasta shot.

Good luck and you will emerge a winner.
supportwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
MaineRottweilers

When I was first treated, in 2013, TCH was the standard of care for HER2+ cancers. I believe the standard may now include Perjeta. Perjeta was still in trials when I was initially treated. You may ask about that.

As far as side effects go, they are wide and varied. The first treatment can be difficult with a wide array of side effects but the next couple of treatments were very manageable because I knew what to expect and was better prepared to head off and deal with those side effects. By the time I got to tx 5 and 6, I was pretty expert at handling side effects but was much more worn down and fatigue became a real issue. For the first time in my life, I was asking for help. Walking across a room was fatiguing and left me short of breath but I did manage to work full time all through my treatment. I missed about 18 days of work due to side effect, mostly GI.

Be prepared to handle nausea: start those medications the morning of chemo, put yourself on a schedule and stick to it---even if you feel well. Don't let up on the anti nausea meds. Have meds on hand for both constipation and then severe diarrhea. Start senna a couple of days before chemo and use it daily until you have diarrhea and then switch to Imodium. Don't tough it out, start taking the anti diarrheals at the first symptoms of D-> and take them on schedule until you are feeling pretty regular again.

I can't stress enough, the need to HYDRATE---even if you don't feel like it. At least suck ice chips, it'll make your mouth feel better too. I never developed mouth sores the first time but this time, I have them and they are miserable. I found Peroxyl wash is very helpful.

Eat small amounts frequently. Stick to bland foods, nothing tastes great anyway and they will cause few GI issues. Sleep every moment you can. Your body heals best when you are sleeping.

I wasn't able to focus very well, I thought I would do lots of crocheting and reading but I wasn't able to. TV made me nauseated. Plan to have lots of things to listen to, music, books, people to chat with.

You can do this, it's not a walk in the park but you will get through it. The good thing about chemo, much like childbirth---you forget the misery when it's behind you.
5/1/13 IDC ER/PR- HER2/neu+++
5/14/13 Mastectomy and SN biopsy
5/20/13 IDC Stage IIb Grade 3 Nodes 1/4 also IDC and DCIS multi focal in remaining dissected tissue.
5/30/13 MUGA and CT thorax, abdomen & pelvis, establish baseline.
6/4/13 Installed my little purple power port.
6/14/13 Chemo started TCH
6/14/13 Informed of suspicious ares on scans scheduled PET.
7/1/13 PET Scan NED!
9/27/13 FINAL CHEMO taken! ----well, maybe not.
10/15/13 Three little tattoos.
10/24/13 Radiation begins and fourth tattoo placed.
11/27/13 Perfectly radiant! Radiation completed the day before Thanksgiving and so, so much to be thankful for this year and every day hereafter.
1/2/14 Happy New Year, you have a Goiter? Muga down to 59%.
1/17/14 Hashimoto's Dz Dx'd. Now maybe I'll feel BETTER!
5/2/14 Herceptin completed! New kitten!
8/19/14 Prophylactic mastectomy (right) and PORT OUT! I'm DONE and now I really am a SURVIVOR.
2/15 Started not feeling so swell. Memory lapses and GI issues with nausea and blurry vision.
4/30/15 U/S cystic gallbladder, cyst on right ovary and mass in my uterus. GYN consult scheduled---and cancelled. I'm not ready.
5/4/15 Brain MRI clear (big sigh of relief)
7/30/15 Back Pain
8/31/15 Radiograph: compression fracture L2
9/10/15 Bone Scan positive
9/21/15 CT scan conclusive for tumor
10/1/15 CT guided biopsy & Brain to Pelvis MRI reveal additional lesions on spine C6, T10, T11 and L2 is collapsing.
10/8/15 Abbreviated pathology: new tumor(s) poorly differentiated carcinoma consistent with known breast primary.
ER-/PR+ (40%)
HER2/neu+++ Ki-67 4% Pancytokeratin AE1/3 Strong Positivity in all malignant cells.
10/13/15 Abnormal Dexa: moderate risk of fracture to both femoral head/neck R&L. Significant risk to lumbar spine.
10/14/15 Radiation consult back to the cooker.
10/20/15 MUGA 50% down from 54% after a year off Herceptin (???)
10/21/15 Kyphoplasty L2
10/22/15 Re-start Chemo: Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
10/26/15 PET Scan confirms C6, T10-11, L2, new lesion noted at L4 but no visceral involvement---Happy dance!!!
10//29/15 Xgeva
10/29/15 Radiation Simulation--three new tattoos to add to my collection. Just call me Dotty.
10/30/15 CA27-29 63 U/mol (<38 U/mol)
11/3/15 First Trip to see Dr. E. Mayer at DFCI
11/4/15 Surgical consult to re-install my little purple power port.
11/9/15 Radiation treatment one of five.
11/10/15 Installed my little purple power port and not a moment too soon, took them four tries to get an IV started today.
Yes, we really are going down this road again.
12/5/15 CT for suspected pulmonary embolism demonstrates increase in T10-11 mets.
12/8/15 Bone Scan uptake at T10-11 (not seen 9/17/15) & Right 8th Rib (not evident on PET 10/26/15)
12/10/15 Consult Re: PROGRESSION. Halt THP due today. Schedule PET and order TDM1 for next week. PLAN B.
12/14/15 PET scan: NO PROGRESSION! THP is working, metabolic activity minimal. Merry Christmas to me! Sticking with PLAN A, it's working.
1/7/16 Start Taxol weekly instead of Taxotere (has been too taxing and not rebounding between txs.) Zometa instead of Xgeva.
3/28/16 CT shows new sclerotic lesions on T12, L3, L5, L6, right ilium and head of right femur. No uptake on Bone Scan (progression????)
3/31/16 Discontinue Taxol start Arimidex, still getting H&P.
6/2/16 Discontinue Arimidex and start Exemestane.
6/18/16 PET is NEAD!!
7/1/16 Discontinue Exemestane and restart Armidex (SEs)
8/29/16 CT/Bone Scan Stable (still uptake at T10-11)
10/3/16 BSO pathology negative
10/10/16 MRI: Brain clear!
10/14/16 Switched care to Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care
11/24/16 Xgeva, New MO preference to Zometa
12/12/16 CT/Bone scan Mostly stable significant uptake at L2 plan to PET
1/12/17 PET shows NEAD celebrate with a new puppy!
3/29/17 CT & BS = NEAD
7/31/17 Aetna denies access to H&P <gearing up for a fight>
8/4/17 CT& BS= STABLE
8/9/17 No treatment, Aetna still denying H&P
8/14/17 Aetna appeal approved H&P through February 2018!
2/5/18 CT & BS = STABLE

//
MaineRottweilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
jaykay

Hi,

In addition to what had already been said:
- If you are going to wear a wig, get one before you start chemo.
- You can avoid nausea by really following all the instructions from your doctor. Start anti-nausea meds the day of chemo and take them for at least 4 days after. I never experienced nausea
- Food will taste like cardboard, as well as any liquid. Eat what you want (seriously) because it is important to get calories in your body. I pretty much lived on chocolate Danish and turkey and cheese sandwiches. I'm a coffee drinker and it tasted horrible. I switched to tea.
- Have "vitamin water" in the house. As Tracy said, keep hydrated. Water may taste terrible, too
- If you work, schedule your treatments for Thursday or Friday because it will give you time to recover over the weekend. I had chemo on Thursdays, was great on Friday due to the steroids (speedy) and starting to crash on Saturday/Sunday. Went back to the hospital to get a Neulasta shot on the Friday after chemo. That helps with your white blood count. I was never sick during chemo.
- Get Biotene products for dry mouth. Sold everywhere - mouthwash, toothpaste, gel. This will help with mouth sores.
- Baby yourself. Take naps if you need them. It is all about you!
- Get your teeth cleaned because you won't be able to go to the dentist for routine visits until chemo is over in order to avoid any infection. I totally forgot and got my teeth cleaned 2 days before chemo started.
- Expect "teary eyes" and a runny nose. Tearing is thanks to taxotere, runny nose to Herceptin.
- Hate to bring this up but be prepared to lose your hair before your second treatment. I don't know where you live but I started chemo around the same time 3 years ago and it was a cold winter! Get some soft knit caps to wear around the house because your head and neck will be cold.

Finally, you can do this! Hardest part is waiting to get started. The heavy chemo (taxotere and carbo) is just 4 months. By spring, it will be behind you. Herceptin alone is, by comparison, a walk in the park

Best
Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
tricia keegan

My friend just finished a regime of this and had a complete response, the tumour was almost gone and she just had a bilat mast and is recovering well with some months of herceptin to follow. As has already been said, the anti nausea meds are a preventative so take them even if you feel you don't need them as its easier to prevent than stop once it begins. My friend had major fatigue so do rest when your body tells you to and I wish you well on this regime.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
Debbie L.

Dear SA. I'm sorry you had such a hard day. I think most of us would agree that these early days, especially when setting up the treatment plan -- are darn hard. Once you get in the swing of it; beginning treatment, dealing with what that brings, going to all those appointments, etc -- there will be hard things -- but less uncertainty and decision-making. Which usually seems relatively easier, somehow.

You can get lots of support here, for any questions or issues with your prescribed chemo, because many have done the exact same regimen.

There has already been some excellent advice offered. I would add a few things:

1. If your prescribed anti-nausea med is not working, contact your provider ASAP and tell them you need another option. Often, they begin with easiest and/or cheapest options to prevent nausea, and will only move on to better ones if they hear from you. Do not hesitate to be assertive.

2. When you find the best anti-nausea med for you, it will work wonders. But it may also make you constipated. Be proactive in this regard. At the first hint that you are not regular, take action. Some get by on things that they know helps keep them going -- prunes or prune juice, bran, etc. But I think most do best with OTC meds, the senna-based ones (Senokot is a brand name but there are fine generics that are cheaper). As others have said, the opposite (the runs) is also possible (chemo side effect). It's a matter of trying to stay closely-tuned to how your GI tract is behaving. Both the good and bad news on this topic is that probably by the time you get this balance dialed -- you'll be done with treatment! But like nausea, being proactive and preventing it (either extreme) from getting out of hand is key.

3. Rest is important, but so is activity. Long ago (14 years!), my oncologist told me to do something every day for 30 minutes that got my heart beating harder. Each day on chemo is different. Some days this might be a brisk hike. Other days a slow walk will be plenty. There's a rhythm to it, but as I said above, by the time you figure it out, you'll be done. Over the years since my oncologist offered that simple advice, study after study has shown that people who stay (relatively) active during chemo do better during treatment, and recover more quickly when chemo is over.

Good luck, keep us posted. You may have been alone at your appointment, but you're not alone here on this forum.
Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
SoCalGal

Hello and sorry that you had a bad day, it's really good that you found this site We all love each other and help one another stay strong. Even God gets busy, so you've got us and we've got you

My two cents, well maybe a bit more:
There is nothing worse than the anxiety before your first chemo. No side effect is worse, than where our minds go before infusion #1. So- keep in mind that fear is normal, and as a 19+ year survivor, you can always hear me say that cancer is a mind game. Our bodies want to heal, our treatments will give us the best shot at that healing, but the real work is to learn how to get (and keep) your head on straight.

It's a process...keep logging in here, and updating us, it will help.

The other thing that helps many is Ativan. It is anti-anxiety, anti-nausea (at low doses) and aids in sleep. Similar to valium, it can be used to sleep through the worse days (if you have them, some people really feel okay in a crappy way). Ask your doc how to use the Ativan - especially if they give you decadron in your drip - that can keep one awake and feeling buzzed (some like that and get all their drawers cleaned out, and cabinets sorted). One more thing - if you suffer from a low level chronic acidic feeling in your tummy, you can also ask for an acid blocker - that can help with nausea a bunch as well.

In the olden days, when I was first diagnosed, Herceptin was not yet invented. You will ultimately do fine!!!!
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
snolan

I did the TCH protocol, overall I had minimal side effects, my hair fell out at 2 weeks, my nails on my hands fell off, but not my toes. Some nausea, a lot of fatigue usually the first week and then you start to recover just in time for your next treatment. The Nuelsta shots to raise your WBC (don't know if I spelled that right) did bother me the first two times, a lot of bone pain but as I went on it didn't bother me. Herceptin only gave me a runny nose, it didn't effect my heart. I still exercised during my treatments but at a much lower intensity. I tried to keep my life and routines as normal as I could, but rested as needed and appreciated any help with cooking and cleaning that friends and family offered. All food tasted bad, I always had a metallic taste in my mouth.

When I look back on the whole experience I realize I was lucky that I made it through fairly easily as compared to others but it isn't a easy ride at all for anyone. You will find your way through that best fits you.

Good luck
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #9
v-ness

TCH was my protocol and i had no issues with the first infusion whatsoever with the exception of the advent of hot flashes. i lost my hair 2 weeks after the infusion. i did not find it to be difficult, just to give you my own personal experience. the only really bothersome thing that occurred, and this was in the very end, was that one eye began to twitch. it went away when i finished TC so i know it was one of those. my nails got ridges and thin (fingers) and one blackish spot on one nail. runny nose and teary eyes. no nausea ever but i was on a *terrific* anti-nausea called Emend. other than that, i was very active and generally only missed 2 days of work on chemo weeks because i planned chemo for thursdays so i could be recovered by monday. i worked out, walked, did a ton of yard work. i was very fortunate. good luck to you when you start! valerie
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
Pat94

I had TCH in fall, 2014. Had infusions on Wednesdays and SEs started Friday nights. At 1st I was able to work Thursday & Friday plus the next 2 & 1/2 weeks. I started with vomiting & diarrhea after the 1st infusion. Lost hair starting in 3rd or 4th week. Vomiting controlled to nausea with multiple prescription drugs by 3rd infusion. Diarrhea controlled by Imodium. Kept nausea until a few weeks after chemo ended & one day it was suddenly gone. Had vision damage early on and that got progressively worse. I am still dealing with it a year later. Developed anorexia - I liked it but the doctors were really upset - just swallowing 4 potassium pills took me an hour. By the 5th I was so weak I used a wheelchair for getting around. Honestly, I was obese and rarely exercised before all this started so I wasn't in great shape to start. Then I threw 2 blood clots - leg & lung. That caused lymphedema. Now it has been a year. Still see an ophthalmologist at least monthly; use eye drops (Restasis & serum drops made from my blood) 8 times a day. Have to wear compression garments on both legs and one arm almost every day. Neuropathy started around the 3rd infusion - hands, ankles, and fingertips. Barely any left in fingers but have enough left in my feet & ankles to be aware of it constantly but it is not painful. My med oncologist thought my SEs were so severe she lowered the dose for my 5th infusion and cancelled the 6th. Fortunately, very few have such severe complications. 11 months after my last infusion I was able to go on a long vacation - East Coast to Hawaii, walk every day, climb over volcanic trails, revel in the beauty. Choosing to work hard at living paid off for me.
Pat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
mburkhart

I had TCHP for six rounds and unfortunately the carboplatin caused a significant hearing loss. I now need to wear hearing aides. It is a very rare but very real side effect. It did not start happening until after my last treatment so I completed the full treatment. It did reduce the size of the tumor dramatically but there were still some signs of cancer so I had a bilateral. Good luck with your treatments
mburkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #12
mab

I'm surprised that oncologists are still prescribing TCH without Perjeta (pertuzumab)--as I understand, National Cancer Care Network has been recommending Perjeta as standard of care for first-line HER2-positive MBC treatment for several years. When my partner was diagnosed (HER2+, mets to liver & lymphs) in Dec 2013, her generalist oncologist first treated her with TCH. He agreed to add Perjeta only after we requested he take her case to the hospital tumor board. After 15 months, she transferred to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, where the breast cancer HER2+ specialist oncologists have told us that carboplatin (which made her really sick) was probably unnecessary.
mab is offline   Reply With Quote