HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Colleens_Husband

Compassionate Scheduling

During a recent self-examination, Colleen found a new lump in her breast near the area of the initial surgery. I think it could be nothing more than scar tissue, and therefore nothing to make a big fuss about. (Plus, being the caregiver, it is my job to be reassuring and not inflame a pretty scary situation.) Colleen disagrees with me and thinks it could be a return of the cancer and is worrying a whole lot (I don't blame her) and she thinks I am not taking this seriously enough. I do take it seriously. It has me scared but inflaming her fear is not going to make things easier for her.

She went to her primary care physician, and he scheduled the high resolution mammogram and he told her he thinks it is just scar tissue. Colleen ordered the mammogram and was initially scheduled to have it taken on March 23rd. After worrying for several days, she called back and asked if she could get an earlier appointment. The radiologist said that he is allowed an exemption to a training seminar that he didn't want to go to anyway for compassionate care, so he moved the appointment up to March 18th, which is still ten days away.

Because of this, I thought about a way in which the HMO can change their scheduling policy so that people don't have to wait several weeks worth of emotional anguish to find out if they have a return of cancer or not. Today I am going to the customer service representative at the HMO to present to them what I call compassionate scheduling.

First off, it is important to realize that all mammograms are not equal. Someone waiting to find out if they have cancer should be able to have some priority in scheduling in order to relieve mental anguish. A routine mammogram for screening purposes isn't going to have the same importance or the same emotional value.

So I suggest that when people schedule a routine screening mammogram, they have the option of signing up for compassionate scheduling. If someone with the fear of cancer hanging over their heads needs a mammogram, the person who comes in for a routine screening mammogram has the option of trading their scheduled time with someone with a greater emotional need who was scheduled for a later date.

The routine screening patient would only be asked to trade once and only once and they would have the satisfaction of knowing that they are doing a tremendous thing for someone who is emotionally stressed.

To me, it seems like a win-win situation. The only down-side I see is a little bit of added paperwork for the HMO and it may add to non-compliance of women who are reluctant to get a mammograms in the first place.

My question to you, is this a policy that is worth pursuing? Is there some down-side that I do not see? What would be some stumbling blocks to implementing the plan so that I may have some answers to resistance I may encounter?

Your feedback is going to be very helpful to me. Thanks!

Lee

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008
life is still on hold
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
bejuce

Re: Compassionate Scheduling

I love it! What a great idea!

The only problem I see it is how to convince the non-anxious patients to trade up appts with the anxious ones? For example, when airlines oversell their tickets they offer money to a passenger to give up a seat on the plane. What would be the incentive for the non-anxious patients? Perhaps the way to do it is to make the trading-up appts transparent to the non-anxious patients, or come up with some kind of incentive for them.

Another idea is to reserve a slot at the end of the day for the urgent cases, similar to what pediatricians do for kids. I always manage to get a same day appt for one of my children if they fall sick - we should be able to get same day mammograms too. Since it's almost always technicians that do the mammograms, I don't see how this can't be done.

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
WolverineFan

That is a great idea!!!

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
whatz

Ditto on that. My HMO already does something in that respect. I know I would not have to wait 3 weeks for a mamogram if we suspected a return of cancer.
6/09 Adriamycin + Cytoxan 4 treatments (every 3 weeks) followed by Taxol + Herceptin, 1 treatment weekly for 12 weeks, followed by Herceptin for 40 weeks
MRI Brain 4/10 clear
CT Body 4/10 clear
PET Body 2/11 clear
whatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
krisvell

What a great idea. I agree with Marcia; pediatricians have daily time reserved for sick kids. I think both would be nice; have a standing time and if needed allow someone to give up their scheduled time. Maybe they could have keep an indicator on a patient's account that they could be contacted to re-schedule an appt if there is an emergency.
Kris...
10/07/09 - Finished Chemo
10/27/09 - Mastectomy RB
Path Report: RB No residual tumor pCR,
2 of 15 pos - .5mm largest micromets
12/18/09 - Radiation started (28)
02/05/10 - Finished Radiation
01/11/10 - Started Femara
06/22/10 - Finished Herceptin.. My son's 22nd BD. Hope it's a sign! Hoping for the best.
11/15/10 - Started Walter Reed BC Vaccine trial at
1/04/11 - Sibley Mem. Had to withdraw due to met
01/23/11 - Stage IV - Brain Met 1.6cm 1.7cm
02/03/11 - Gamma Knife (2 fracts to minmize necrosis)
03/01/11 - Gamma Knife
6/11 - Necrosis
7/11 - Necrosis stopped & Tumor progression
8/11 = Now think it's really necrosis
9/11 - Avastin every two weeks -- It's working!! Necrosis is shrinking.
12/11 - Necrosis gone AVASTIN worked.
12/11 - Bone &CT found

Oct '10 - Ran Hartford 1/2 Marathon to Thank Dr. Slamon for Herceptin!
krisvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Colleens_Husband

Bejuce:

Thanks for your input. I was hoping that the act of doing something kind for someone else would be enough incentive. A monetary incentive may kill the idea for the HMO because they are going to necessarily incur a little bit more paperwork costs.

I am sure someone who has had breast cancer would gladly trade dates, but would just an average person be willing to trade for compassionate reasons? I am betting that a good percentage of people are really pretty decent and would be willing to trade.

Thank you everyone for your input! I think I will go to customer service later on in the week because you have given me something more to think about. I am probably going to only get one chance to sell the program so I better be as prepared as possible.

4 TAC infusions
life is still on hold
Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Rich66

I bet a brief explanation of the circumstance, even just alluding to an "emergency" need would make most accept the reschedule. I suspect the main problem with reschedules is if it seems random or done solely for someone else's convenience. The patient in dire need could sign/send/have forwarded a thank you card.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Becky

This is the way they do it at my place. No waiting if you have a "diagnostic" mammogram, PET, CT etc prescription. In the beginning, I had scar on one side and a cyst on the other (different times) and I was in the next day for a digital mammo and ultrasound. So, some places do things differently.

For my normal once a year, if I need it in July, I have to call the end of May to stay on track (cuz its just a normal test and not "diagnostic").

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Catherine

Hi Lee,

I sure hope that Colleen's test shows everything okay.

Take care, Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:04 AM   #10
SoCalGal

Can't get a wink of sleep so I'll weigh in...brilliant idea and I am sure it will work. Here's another twist - The doc's office can merely select (2) time slots each day and when they book those slots tell the patient that they are CATS - compassionate appointment time slots, meaning someone with cancer may NEED to come in that day, explaining they would need to give up their appointment but would not be "bumped" again. That way, when a "regular" patient is making an appointment, they could decide if they are ok with the CATS. I know this sounds like a bad set up for a joke, but I am serious. Woman are extremely superstitious about their mamograms and would see it as a good omen/good kharma to give up an appoinment free of charge. I think it would for sure work. Meanwhile, being a bit superstitious myself, tell Colleen that in Hebrew, numbers are also words and 18 = Chai which is the word for LIFE. Oh, and one more thing - what about going back to the surgeon and let him feel what she felt. He may be able to reassure her even further. Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
PinkGirl

What do you guys think of this just being the way things
are scheduled? I mean, what if the non-urgent person
wasn't "asked"? What if that was just the way the scheduling
was done? If an "urgent" situation came along, the "non-urgent"
person would be notified that their appointment had been changed.
It's interesting that you used the word "compassionate".

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
Jackie07

I hope Coleen's scan will be benigh. It is always hard to be in the 'waiting' situation...

The 'non-urgent' patients most likely have had their appointment made 3-6 months or even 12 months ahead of time. In many cases it's probably hard for them to change their appointment especially if they are working full-time and/or have other care-giving duties.

Our hospital has a system called 'urgent care' which falls in between a regular appointment and an emergency room visit. We can call the 'on-call' nurse line about our concerns and the nurse 'oncall'will advise us to either go to the emergency room, call our family doctor, or make an appointment with urgent care. I have found that getting care in the ER is not necessarily faster than seeing the family doctor...

In contrast -

The 'country' dentist we go to is a one man show. He would take 'emergency' appointment if the problem needs immediate attention or the patient is anxious about something. He simply opens the door to the waiting room and gestures the 'extra' patient to go in (especially when his receptionist/secretary is busy.) While he's working on our teeth, he talks non-stop asking about our family members...

We usually can get an appointment within 2 weeks. But a couple of times we just called ahead and then walk into his office in the same day - then walk out after being examed for less than 1 minute.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
tricia keegan

I love the idea and wish my hospital would do this. I also agree that most people are kind enough to consider an urgent case and wait for another appt.
However, Pinkgirl 's comments also got me thinking, why tell the non urgent cases at all??? Maybe just a re sheduling appt would suffice??

Lee, good luck to Colleen and hope it's B9 !!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
SoCalGal

I'd be very UNhappy if my doc's office rescheduled me without explanation. I think if your appointment is bounced, you deserve to know why. Many times my onc is running very late and I have to wait, sometimes almost two hours. BUT I know that when I have an emergency, she always fits me in, so I gladly wait, knowing that in this setting you cannot always stick to the schedule. But getting bounced, like my dentist did to take a "celeb" in my place, well, I bounced right over to another dentist!
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #15
PinkGirl

I don't get asked to give up my appointment, I am told that
it's been rescheduled and I'm told why.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #16
Gerri

Lee,

Just checking in to see how everything went on test day. Are the results in or are you still playing the waiting game? Be sure and let us know.

All my best to you and Colleen.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #17
Colleens_Husband

Sorry about the delay. We went in to the mammogram and were told that they weren't sure what was going on so they immediately scheduled an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed nothing but scar tissue. Colleen was told that she had quite a bit of edema in her breast after the lumpectomy and it took two years for the swelling to subside enough to actually feel any scar tissue which was what Colleen was feeling.

As for the scheduling, the HMO liked the idea and the assigned a management group to see how the project could be implemented. I also learned that Colleen could have gotten in to mammography within three days of discovering the suspicious lump, but she asked for a female doctor to do a PAP test three years ago. Because of this, the HMO didn't schedule her for the first available appointment, but the first available time a female doctor of radiology was available.

After all of the stuff Colleen has been through, and having male surgeons, ultrasound techs, male nurses, male oncologists and all of that, why they chose to insist on a female radiologist is baffling.

Oh well! I am so happy that there was no cancer that I am not going to be upset about a scheduling mess.

4 TAC infusions
life is still on hold
Old 03-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
whatz

Great News! Happy for the two of you :-)
6/09 Adriamycin + Cytoxan 4 treatments (every 3 weeks) followed by Taxol + Herceptin, 1 treatment weekly for 12 weeks, followed by Herceptin for 40 weeks
MRI Brain 4/10 clear
CT Body 4/10 clear
PET Body 2/11 clear
whatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
Gerri

So happy to hear that everything came out okay. Now you can stop planning for "what if" and concentrate on having some Spring-time fun.

Glad to hear that the HMO listened to your idea and are looking into implementing it. Colleen may not have benefited from your idea, but many others will.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #20
ammebarb

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that all is well! Let us know how things go with compassionate scheduling....it's a wonderful idea. Hope it flies!

Barb A.
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote