HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
vlcarr

Drainage Tube Questions

Good evening everyone,

I had a mastectomy and lymph node removal last Thursday. I have 2 drainage tubes and one has been under 30cc for 2 days in a row which means it can be removed. However, I have some swelling in my armpit (toward the front) and I have some purplish looking streaks on the scar where my breast was. I called the dr today and they said it's a little early for them to come out and said the swelling could indicate a blockage and to strip the tubes 3 or 4 times a day and call them back tomorrow. I'm not running a fever. The spot with the swelling is extremely tender (not that the rest isn't!).

I was hoping someone could tell me if they had this problem, what is was and the outcome.

I've been doing everything they told me to do to avoid lymphedema and I don't have any swelling in my arm or hand.

Thanks so much for any information you can provide!
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Chelee

Re: Drainage Tube Questions

I do know you don't want to have those drain tubes removed too soon. While it's true they say when it's under 30 cc's they can be removed. But in one wks time that's pretty quick to have them out? I'm in the world record book for having drain tubes in longer then anyone else. Even after they were finally removed I ended up with a hugh seroma that is still there. (Very uncomfortablel!) It was drained a few times but it came back anyway. As a last resort they said they could do surgery and go back in and place the drain tube back in there. (I didn't want to do that)

I just wanted you to know it can turn into a nightmare if you remove those drains too soon. Plus I had days were the amount that drained was low...then a few days later it would go back up. Those tubes do get blocked...you can kind of pull on them...stretch them and it will unblock them. They are very annoying to have it but I wouldn't have them out until your breast surgeon says it's ok. And the bruising and purplish streaks are normal. I was pretty sore in that area for a while but it will get better soon. That's alot of trauma to your chest. You've been through alot & your doing all the right things. Hang in there it all sounds normal to me. If you get too concerned about anything...just go in and see your surgeon for peace of mind.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
DianneS

vlcarr,

Ouch.

I had double mastectomies Sept. 08 and had my little "Gucchi" bags hanging from both sides for at least a week. What do the docs mean by 'strip' the tubes 3-4 x a day? I do know it's important to keep those little plastic vacuum containers tightly closed for the suction to work right. Mine would occasionally pop open so I was checking all the time to make sure the tops were on good. When dumping the contents make sure you keep everything sterile. I would wipe the top(s) of the containers with an alcohol swab before I closed them. Otherwise you sound like you're healing as you should. Do you still have bandaid strips on the incisions? I kept mine on until I had the staples out, and also changed the strips daily & gently dried the surgery area after a shower. They said no baths allowed. Also, no one told me that when they take those tubes out it can be a little tender....actually it hurt a bit. They were longer than I thought. Hope you are taking it easy...

Wishing you a fast recovery!
Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
rl2

the draining tubes are the worst thing about the surgery, in some ways, because they pull on you and are quite frankly disgusting. And cause a lot of discomfort (to the point you want to yank them out). I agree at least a week with them (as others have said), and make sure the suction cups on them are pulling on the incision sites. Assume you are still on antibiotics - but if the puffiness doesn't go down in a couple of days, I would see the surgeon. Sometimes they are not placed right or they move and aren't draining properly.

Isn't modern medicine wonderful? When you go through this you begin to think we're not that far from medieval times - surgery, drainage tubes and poisoning.

Give it a day or two and if no improvement, go in.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
BonnieR

Like Chelee, I developed a seroma following surgery. I think it is not uncommon after mastectomy. It had to be aspirated with a needle. Twice. Which did not hurt, by the way.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
vlcarr

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I'll call the surgeon tomorrow and go from there. I was concerned about one of them coming out because of the obvious swelling under my arm.

Stripping them means squeezing the tubes upward toward the bulb to get all the crud out. I've been doing that twice a day as instructed but started increasing that today after talking to the nurse.

And yes, the swollen area is so, so tender along with the area where the tubes go in my side. If one of them has to stay I may as well leave both of them in--at this point one or two doesn't make much difference!

They are a pain in the butt as you all know. I'm not on antibiotics and was not put on them after surgery. Going to ask for more pain meds as I've gone through what they gave me.

I do have the band aid strips on and change that dressing once a day and clean with peroxide per the dr instructions and drying after shower. They said I could get everything wet except for the area where the tubes come out.

I don't have stitches or staples except where the tubes go in. The other areas they used steri strips.

I laughed about the medieval times--that is exactly what this is like-lol!

Thanks again. This is the best site ever and especially for someone like me who is just beginning this journey. You are all wonderful and brave ladies!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
rl2

I didn't want to raise flags earlier, but I had multiple seromas. Over and under the surgery site.

I had tissue expander done at mastectomy, turned out to be infection under and over the tissue expander site.

I think the doctors are not as competent as they lead you to believe.

Multiple emergency room visits, multiple surgeries to fix stupid things, if you are having a problem early, get it checked. And maybe see another doctor.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
DianneS

Peroxide?! I was always told never to put peroxide on deep or puncture wounds. Peroxide can cause tissue to not heal well. As my doctor put it 'it can eat at the skin'. That is what I was told where I live. I wish docs would have a consensus on these things. What my doc said was to shower like usual but don't soap up that area and don't let the water hit it directly. Pat dry. I didn't need antibiotics either and it healed very quickly. Staples came out in 7 days and that sure felt good!

For pain I used Tylenol extra strength at home but had some good stuff in hosp for the 4 days I was in. I hope you find something that works so you can get some rest.

Steri strips - that's the word I was searching for Had to change those daily as well.

If you don't have stitches or staples how are they holding the incision together? I had a stitch or two where the tubes went in as well, and a nice (not) dimple in my side from those tubes.

Wearing a camisole especially made for post mastecomy helped me too. You've probably got one. They're great for holding the suction cups and hiding the tubing, plus they have foob(s) so I could go outside and not feel selfconscious about being flatchested.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
vlcarr

Yes, I do have the camisoles and the foobs. I've been wearing loose tops with front buttons so don't wear the camisole unless I have to. Yes, I was told to dip a Q-tip in peroxide and clean around the area where the tubes come out?

I may have stitches but don't think so. I think they just used the strips to seal the incision although there could be stitches on the inside the just dissolve over time. The only real stitches I have are the ones where the tubes come out of my side.

I've left a message with the drs office to call me back today so we can discuss. I'm now having pain down to my elbow and where the swelling is it's extremely sore.

I was doing so well--not sure what happened in the past few days. It's very discouraging.........
Old 10-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
BonnieR

I am concerned about the pain and swelling. I hope you stress this to the dr and get seen soon.
But don't be discouraged. Stuff like this happens. The important thing is to stay on top of it before it develops into something. Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
DianneS

vlcarr,

hope you get some reassuring news soon. please keep us posted,
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 10-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
WolverineFan

Hi,

I had problems with drainage and as a result, had my drain tube in for five weeks. While messing with it was miserable, my doctor was insistent not to take it out until I had 5 days under 40 cc's. He indicated to me that if they are taken out too soon, it could be more problematic. I had swelling, but no purple streaks. However, when the drain tube was finally removed, I had no problems at all, so I think I would be as patient as possible with those stinking things. Good luck.

Hayley

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
bejuce

Looks like everyone's experiences are different. I had 4 drains put in for my bilateral mastectomy with axillary node dissection on the right side. Two of the drains came out in a week or so and the last two took 28 days. I was pretty active with my kids after the surgery and had a lot of fluid. My surgeon said that waiting is better to avoid problems later. It was tough not to shower for so long. I started radiation a couple of days after my drains were removed and so far so good. The drains were the worst part of the surgery. You will feel much better once they are out. Good luck!!

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote