HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-13-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
michele u

I thought that one of the arms of HERA was AC then Taxol then Herceptin? I guess i thought that there was a arm that was like mine in CALGB? They didn't really give any stats for my arm the first time and now there is no data in this?
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
karen

Michelle,

I am almost certain there was an arm like that in the HERA trial. That is how I am being treated also. I think, breastcancer.org has some information on the Hera trial.

Karen
Old 09-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Karen

Michelle,

Google Hera trial breastcancer.org and it will come up. Unless I am reading it incorrectly, the way we are receiving Herceptin is how an arm of the Hera trial was conducted.

Karen
Old 09-13-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
michele u

Karen,
My fear is that they will post the other arms "AGAIN and not mention ours. I know the other arms did better, but why are we in these trials if they don't want to all the arms of the trials?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
imported_Joe

Last weekend Christine and I had a lengthy chat with Dr. Mark Pegram and he told us why the results were released when they were.

If it weren't for the politics involved, we would still be waiting for the preliminary results which would certainly have been released this December at SABCS.

I honestly feel that since the results were published prematurely our members DID benefit as the majority of oncologists now prescribe Herceptin for Stage I, II and III bc patients.

Most of us will recall many posts this time last year of women searching for an oncologist who would prescribe Herceptin "off label".

Thank God that is no longer the case. Although there are still many unanswered questions, we should still count our blessings. I do expect additional information to be released at SABCS where I will post updates each evening.

Warmest Regards
Joe
Old 09-13-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
michele u

Thanks Joe, we all do need to be very happy about the way things went. I do feel so sorry for the gals, like my friend, that didn't get the Herceptin and is not here anymore. I guess i have to vent sometimes
Old 09-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #7
Becky

Michelle

You were in the HERA trial. How long after chemo did you start the Herceptin? When did you have radiation? I was just wondering how this trial ran versus those who are getting late Herceptin. I am assuming you got 4 AC then 4 Taxol - was it dense dose or every 3 weeks?

thanks in advance

Best regards,

Becky
Old 09-14-2005, 07:07 AM   #8
*_jeff_*

HERA didn't have arms like the US trials: it was the big international trial (Canada, Europe, and beyond I think) that basically randomized to herceptin or no herceptin after any reasonable chemo (so for a lot of women in Europe that would be CMF or just AC without taxol). Interim results were released at ASCO but no subset analysis or anything like that...

Jeff
Old 09-14-2005, 08:23 AM   #9
michele u

Becky,
I was in the CALGB trial. That's the one that had 3 arms first one with AC then 12 Taxols the second with AC then 12 Taxols THEN one year weekly Herceptin (thats the one I got) then the third with AC Then 12 Taxols with Herceptin then Herceptin for rest of the year. Thats the one that they report about. I think there was a arm in the HERA that was just like mine, but i haven't heard the stats from that one either.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:56 AM   #10
*_Tessa_*

Actually the HERA trial in Europe only involved women who had already finished chemotherapy (I think all kinds were accepted) but one had to start within six week of finishing chemo - at least that was the way at my hospital.

There were three arms: 1. Herceptin every three weeks for one year 2. herceptin evey three weeks for two years 3. no Herceptin
Old 09-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #11
michele u

Tessa, That's the stats i wanted to hear about. Those trials are the closest to the arm that i got. Are any of those stats out yet? Maybe Joe would know
Old 09-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #12
Karen

Michele,

I am pretty sure that if you look up the Hera trial on breastcancer.org, there are stats for acx4 then tx4 and Herceptin (by itself after chemo was completed) for a year. I think it was something like 46% reduction in recurrence. Not too bad!

Karen
Old 09-14-2005, 07:23 PM   #13
michele u

Thanks Karen, I did look that up. It did say 46%. I think its too early to really tell, but maybe after 3 years it will as good as the other arms!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 08:08 PM   #14
Karen

Michele,

What do the stats say for the other arms?

Karen