HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-13-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
Celeste

Skin Mets

Are skin mets only seen in IBC or can they occur in others with metastatic disease?

Would appreciate any input and information of anyone with experience with skin mets.

Thank you so much

Celeste
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Sandy H

I have heard of others having skin mets outside of IBC. I have heard my doctor say he has see skin mets but they were not IBC. I hope this answers your question. I think you will hear from some on this board that have them and they are not IBC. I think they are more common in IBC patients. I have no documented info to back this up. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
rinaina

just wondering.....

is skin mets different then skin cancer?
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
panicked911

yes skin mets differet from skin cancer- skin mets are breast cancer cells that have metasticized to the skin- they appear as small bumps. The only reason i know this si that I just had this convesation with my oncologist b/c i had a sore spot on my back and under my arm. Skin mets are extremely rare and can happen with any type of breast cancer-
as for my sore spots - under the arm was scar tissue and the back looked like an irritation- if i have learned anythig from this site is to check out all funny symptoms regardless - thank you

Susanne
panicked911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Taffy

You asked if skin mets were seen in other forms of breast cancer other than IBC. Yes, people with 'ordinary' breast cancer can get them. I had a mastectomy on my right breast four years ago and then, two years ago, a new primary in my left breast. This was misdiagnosed for a few months and by this time it had spread to the skin of the breast, though it wasn't IBC. I was graded at Stage 3C which I believe is similar to those with IBC.

I only have it on my chest and it takes the form of little red bumps which can be clustered together or singular. Mine started with reddening of the skin which then, among the redness, formed little red pimple like spots. I was given Herceptin and this cleared it up apart from a few little bumps here and there. My onc refers to them as 'nodules' and says the ones that remain are inactive.

Hope this helps,

love
Taffy.
Taffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Celeste

I think I may have them in my scalp. Since my tumor markers are up and my scans show stable disease, we are trying to figure out why the rise in tumor markers.

I do have some spots on my scalp that I thought was dandruff or patchy skin, but maybe its skin mets.
Do they have to be biopsied to know??

thanks

Celeste
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Barbara H.

I had them on my chest about three years ago this coming June. Herceptin cleared them up and they haven't returned.
Best,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
lindaw

I am not IBC and have had skin mets in various forms (rash, nodules, weeping sores) for 4 and a half years.

love
linda
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
Sandy H

I was told by two oncologist and have read that true skin mets are not curable! Now, I don't know as some are saying they have had them, was treated and they never came back. I have read the info that IBC has out and they say the same thing-not curable. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Barbara H.

Hi Sandy,
My oncolgist diagnosed me as having skin mets three years ago this coming June. I also had mets in the liver, brain, lungs and various nodes at that time. I am currently in remission from all of that using only Herceptin and these mets have not returned yet. It doesn't mean that I am cured or that they won't return at some point. A year ago they migrated to the bone and I have had no luck in getting into remission in that area. They were unable to get enough of a sample from my biopsy to determine if the cancer has morphed to er+ pr+, but my oncologist is going to put me on Faslodex to see if I have a response. It not I will have to go back on chemo by the end of April. Navelbine kept the bone mets from progressing from March 06 to Dec 06, but it did not get rid of them. I went off of Navelbine in Dec. and the bone mets progressed. At this point my CEA is rising and I am worried.
Best regards,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote