HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
chrisy

Red face Liver met Update on chrisy - where's NED????

Hi there her2 family,

I've been hesitating to post this news for many reasons...probably mostly because I didn't want to admit it to myself but also because I don't want to discourage anyone about what I still consider a GREAT drug (TDM1).

Looks like my LONG 3 year ride with TDM1 is winding down. Although of course I knew it wasn't "the cure", you all understand how I hoped it might be anyway

My scans in December showed some questionable areas, which have been (pretty much) confirmed by the latest scan to be progression of one or two of the same old dumb tumors.

I was somewhat prepared for this, and to be taken off the study post-haste; I was not prepared for "let's do another scan in 6 weeks (which will be June 1) and in the meantime keep you on study for the 2 more treatments"!

I always feel like a dope in the presence of my brilliant Dr. Hope, but particularly so this time! I didn't even get clear WHY the move to do one more scan. I'm guessing she's curious as to why after 3 years the canser has developed resistance to TDM1, and/or maybe having a little more info will inform her better about the best options from here. And it wouldn't hurt for her to have me "top of mind" at ASCO

So I find myself in search of input from all my wonderful Her2 family as to what's interesting out there (besides TDM!).

First thought from the onc was Tykerb/Herceptin which is very attractive to me in remission - not as much with active disease I know a lot of folks have had experience with this, so I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Also, those ladies who have pushed the envelope and pursued localized treatment of liver mets via resection, RFA or other means! Interestingly, Dr. Hope has never been a proponent of this in my case but I caught her thinking out loud about the possibility, since it is the SAME stupid mets waking up.

Lani, I saw your post yesterday re tykerb or herceptin still can benefit after TDM1. Good timing for fraying nerves!

Anyway, I just want to say again:
IF you have the opportunity to try TDM1, I still think it's a great drug. Do it. I was reminded that 3 years is a "long time" and although she agreed when I said "it's not enough", it still is true. It has bought me 3 more years of research that hopefully will yield more answers for us.

Ho hum...saddle up...canser sucks...NED can be a flake.

Love to all
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure

Last edited by chrisy; 05-05-2011 at 10:12 AM..
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
ElaineM

Wink Re: Update on chrisy - where's NED????

First of all I am sorry the benefit from T DM1 is winding down. That said, I also read the article about Herceptin and Tykerb being helpful after T DM1, so if you and your doc think that is promising go for it !!!!!!!!
I have a theory. If cancer keeps coming back in the same place there must be some kind of weakness in that place. Maybe finding out what that weakness is would be of some help. I don't know if it is possible, because I am not a doctor, but I think it might be something to be explored. If that is true maybe it is something that can be fixed or treated. I always wondered why people get mets in different areas than were other people get them. There has to be an explanation why some people get liver mets, some people get brain mets, and some people get bone mets.
The good news is of course that there are no other areas of cancer. So, hang in there and keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep on top of things as well as you have in the past. Take good care of yourself.
My fingers are crossed for you and I wish you all the best.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Barbara H.

Re: Update on chrisy - where's NED????

Hi Chrisy,
I am also sorry to hear that your treatment with TDM-1 may be winding down. Although it may no longer be working as efficiently on those cancer cells in the liver, it still may be working to a degree in other areas. It may also be a drug that you could try again once it is approved. Are tumor markers reliable for you? Have they also been increasing? I can certainly relate to your frustration and disappointment.

I would highly suggest that you go on Herceptin and Tykerb. It has been working for me since I stopped the TDM-1 trial in Oct. 09. It took me about two months to adjust to the Tykerb, but I actually find this combination to be more tolerable than TDM-1, considering that TDM-1 is an easy drug. You might also consider to target those spots before you decide to switch to Herceptin/Tykerb. I would try to stay with targeted therapy that would continue to provide you with a quality of life as much as possible.

Don't hesitate to post. We care about you and our thoughts are with you.

Kind regards,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
krisvell

Chrisy,
Please know that I am rooting for you (like you do so often for us) but not as cleverly as you do. I always smile or laugh when I read your posts.
So from a rather boring sister also named Kris, please know I am right there for you in prayers and support. As KDR's father says, "You're gonna be good". I truly believe this.
Hugs,
Kris....
10/07/09 - Finished Chemo
10/27/09 - Mastectomy RB
Path Report: RB No residual tumor pCR,
2 of 15 pos - .5mm largest micromets
12/18/09 - Radiation started (28)
02/05/10 - Finished Radiation
01/11/10 - Started Femara
06/22/10 - Finished Herceptin.. My son's 22nd BD. Hope it's a sign! Hoping for the best.
11/15/10 - Started Walter Reed BC Vaccine trial at
1/04/11 - Sibley Mem. Had to withdraw due to met
01/23/11 - Stage IV - Brain Met 1.6cm 1.7cm
02/03/11 - Gamma Knife (2 fracts to minmize necrosis)
03/01/11 - Gamma Knife
6/11 - Necrosis
7/11 - Necrosis stopped & Tumor progression
8/11 = Now think it's really necrosis
9/11 - Avastin every two weeks -- It's working!! Necrosis is shrinking.
12/11 - Necrosis gone AVASTIN worked.
12/11 - Bone &CT found

Oct '10 - Ran Hartford 1/2 Marathon to Thank Dr. Slamon for Herceptin!
krisvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Lori R

Chrisy,
Well.....poop. We were all rooting for you to beat the odds with TDM-1 and to post 5 years from now asking whether you should go off of it or not. OK...a slight detour.

There are so many of us on the site that have used localized treatments that we gotcha covered. Questions??? We got answers.

As you know by my signature, we started with standard chemo and kept our fingers crossed. When it returned, like yours...only in the liver. My onc tried for a minimally invasive local procedure (cryoablation) followed by insurance chemo. I wrote a small novel on the cryoablation which was a 1 day outpatient procedure. Very manageable.

After a 2nd cryoablation and the subsequent return ...again (Da Bears)...only in the liver (3 1/2 years later) My onc finally relented and we lined up consults for radiation and GASP possibly a liver resection.

Since the location of my tumor was close to my heart, (I only have had one, but he was a fatty He quickly grew to 4 CM) the radiologist was going to have to reduce the amount of radiation so she thought a liver resection was the best bet. (she said she almost never would suggest that) After more scans to prove to the surgeon that I was NED, he agreed to remove the left lobe of my liver. Around here...ya really have to prove yourself worthy.

So.....March 31st I had a liver resection. I am so glad I did because hiding out behind the left lobe of the liver were 2 infected lymph nodes that they were able to remove. Little devils, no one knew there were there.

We decided no insurance chemo this time. We are going to see if Herceptin minus a tumor can beat this back.

Weird as it sounds, I don't have a strong opinion as to whether the cryoablation was a waste of time. Hey...it knocked the tumor back for about a year at a whack. (but, it did require insurance chemo, so did the tumor stay away because of cryo or just the impact of chemo???) No one can say.

I am soooo hoping to report back in a couple of years that the resection worked for a long, long time. I will have a scan in July.

MissyW skipped all the cryoablation steps and went straight for the liver resection gusto. She has been ned for a couple of years.

Hmmmm....maybe going for the gusto is a good idea. Missy was so supportive and answered all of my questions. I did have a moment of panic a couple of days before the procedure.

PM me or call me for ANYTHING!!!! No question too small. I just wish I had ALL the answers.

As we have all said before...this is the most stressful time. Processing the disappointing news and figuring out the next step. Hang in there, you will be beating back the cancer here very soon.

Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Pam P

Chrisy - You had such a nice long run on tdm1; I'm so sorry to hear it not doing the same job for you now. Thoughts and prayers are with you for discerning the next best treatment to zap those same ol' liver mets one final time. Pam
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
Kim in CA

Hi Chrisy,

This is the pitts that you're having to contemplate "what to do next" . Just wanted to chime in to say that the liver resection, as much as I didn't want to do it, was not as bad as I thought.

I too saw Dr. Hope for a second opinion, when I was trying to decide what to do about the spot on my liver. I asked about RFA and she referred me to Dr. Warren at UCSF. After reviewing my scans, he told me that unfortunately I wasn't a candidate for RFA because my tumor was too close to the main blood vessel (can't think of the name now) in my liver. So, resection was my only other option. I think I was in the hospital about a week, and only had to take pain meds a couple of days after I got home. That was in Nov. of 2002, and I was back to riding my beloved horse in no time at all.

Nobody likes to go under the knife, but if you decide to go that route, I can highly reccomend Dr. Warren. He is a highly skilled surgeon with a great personality to boot!

All my best,
Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Joan M

Chris,

You're right, cancer sucks! I'm sorry to hear about the progression. You did remarkably well on T-DM1, tolerating the drug and resisting progression for what seems to be a long time for somebody in our boat. Bravo for that, but now on to continuing to fight the cancer.

Perhaps you could try a local treatment followed by chemo. I've had good success in the lung (and of course the brain). However, the medical oncologists gave me a lot of grief over using these treatments, stressing me out on top of dealing with mets.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Catherine

Hey Chrisy,

You are always the one with support and humor. So we are all trying to send you good vibes and look for a magic wand. You are a doll and I hope and pray that your doctors will come up with some pixie dust to fight this crummie canser.

Here's to you and a boat load of pixie dust,
Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Trish

3 years is indeed a long time to buy while waiting for the cure. It is possible, too, that TDM-1 will work again in the future should you not be cured by your next enterprise! My doctors have never countenanced resection and they may well have their reasons but it is good to hear Lori is doing so well. I had weekly abraxane (a high probability hair loser) with herceptin/tykerb/zometa for about 6 months and TMs went into sharp decline (NED has never shown any interest in me) I stopped abraxane 2 months ago because I wanted to have a chemo break and because I wanted to restart an AI - I will find out what impact that has had next week. I'm sorry you have had this set back but I'm glad there are still options out there for you. Good luck with your decision-stage IV treatment is still very much a work in progress, albeit a frustrating one at times. All the best, Trish
5/2006
oopherectomy, Arimedex
12/2006
liver mets largest 9cm
1/2007
Herceptin,
3/2007
Taxol + Herc
1/2008
Herc alone
4/2008
Multiple bone mets,Zometa
7/2008
Herc + Gemcitabine
8/2008
Herc+Navelbine/vinoralbine
10/2008
Herc+Carboplatin+Taxol
12/2008
Tykerb+Xeloda
2/2010
Herceptin + trial drug
5/2010
Herceptin+Tykerb
8/2010
Tykerb+Abraxane
9/2010
Abraxane
12/2010
Abraxane+Tyk+Herc
4/2011
Tyk+Herc+Femara
6/2011
Liver and bone mets prog.Abraxane continue Herceptin,Tykerb,Femara and Zometa
8/2011
Probable liver progression and increased neuropathy. Xeloda with Tyk+Herc. Zometa 6 weekly.
9/2011
Liver progression,TM +++. Cyclophosphamide and Methotrexate metro Herc Zometa
10/2011 liver mets prog.Herc, 3 Tykerb +2mg decodron daily,Zometa
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
caya

So sorry to hear this news Chrisy, and I pray the docs can find the next magic potion to zap that cancer!!

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
Jackie07

Chrisy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It's going to help so many of us as well as many other BC sisters.

Take a deep breath whenever you feel like your safety net is gone. It is not. There are many new drugs/treatment options coming out everyday. Your doctors will find something suitable for you. Remember 'positive thinking increases the release of endorphin which helps us fight infection/cancer/depression...'

I'm transferring (electronically some 'positive' energy to you...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 05-07-2011 at 02:36 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
Jean

Chrisy,
I am sorry the TD1 is no longer working for you. Wishing you peacful hours so that you will be ready to make the best decsion for you. You are such a strong fighter. Sending a huge warm hug.

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
StephN

Well, making it from Dec to now to confirm by scan that something is going on tells me that the TDM-1 does work and slow down the buggers quite a bit.

Are they SURE that it is not some scar area or does the PET light up more than before? I ask since you say it is the same area as previous tumor.

I like Dr. Hope's approach of going slow before making any change.

I am sure you have Pertuzamab on your list. Maybe with Herceptin?

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
SoCalGal

"Although of course I knew it wasn't "the cure", you all understand how I hoped it might be anyway"

Oh yes, I know exactly - just exactly - e to the x to the actly - what you meant by that. I was doing the magic thinking, too.

I went to Bloomingdales tonight in search of NED. I can say that NED that flake, was not at Bloomies, but Micheal Kors was there - and was AVAILABLE for me, at hardly any cost, unlike that NED. I did not need a scan, a blood draw, premeds, postmeds or ANY meds for Michael...one small plastic card and he was all mine!

Hang in there my friend, I don't have any answers but am asking a lot of the same questions. Brain scan on Sunday - already having Scanic Attacks. Sending love and reassurance that we will get thru this somehow!! Because we must. xo xo Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #16
michka

Chris. I am so sorry the met came back. Plenty of things go through my head. I am not sure it helps because it is not an easy time for you but I will share them anyway First of course I am very sad because after 3 years I was hoping you were now safe with TDM1. BUT if you only have one met in the same place, it makes me think that TDM1 protected you in the rest of the body, even the liver. I would first ask the same question as Steph: what does the Pet Scan say? Is the diagnosis sure? Did you also have a MRI of the liver? If it confirmed activity in the same one spot, is it possible to zap it out with first RFA or Cyberknife and then add a targeted combo. But I discovered that it is not always possible because it depends where the met is and that sometimes you have to go for resection. But that is also manageable. But not everybody is convinced to go for "zapping". The size of the tumor is also important. It cannot be too big to zap it out with a not too invasive method Do you know the size? If it is the same stupid met after a long period of three years it seems more positive. Same situation as Lori. Did markers ever show something for you? I figure you would have said so if it was the case.
Chris, I hope you will have all this figured out fast with your next exams. I like the attitude of your onc not to go too fast and conclude. I am sending hugs and I also will keep my fingers crossed. Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #17
Sheila

As Brenda would so eloquently say CRAP ON A CRAPSTICK...sorry Brenda, beat ya to it. Is there anyway that you could get the Pertuzamab added to the tdm-1? I do like the fact that Dr Hope..(what a great name for a Dr in her profession) is giving you another scan before pulling the plug on the TDM-1....NED has been eluding me for 8 years...i think if I ever find him, I will strangle him! Truly though, there are so many options out there, and you have an amazingly smart and talented ONC. so you are in good hands....we got your back Chrisy girl.....H2B's rule!

Sending lots of love, hugs and prayers that this bump in the road will be behind you in no time.....

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #18
Mary Anne in TX

Hey Chrisy,
Of course 3 years isn't enough....not nearly enough.
Yes, your onc is a brainiac, but she happens to also have a tough, smart, super hard headed patient too.
The trial I got thrown out of is getting really great reviews, but I don't have personal info anymore.
Chris, could you do the resection thing before you get off the TDM1?
If all these tumors we get can be different, maybe once these two pesky ones are gone, your body would continue to respond well to TDM1.
As you well know, I don't know anything for real. I will admit that I too had you cured in my mind and heart. For you and for me.
Chris, you're working with the best....just don't forget that you are an awfully smart cookie yourself. You've sure got my thoughts and prayers for a quick remedy.
much luv, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #19
Emelie B

Well, I totally agree with Shelia. Crap! I know we all had hoped you would be the one to find that magic, dare we say it, cure?
I am sure you and your onc. will come up with a game plan that will work for you once again. As the other ladies have said, there are many more options available now to us.
I hope you can find some peaceful thoughts in the days to come and know that we are all thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and hugs.
Please keep in touch with us and enjoy this beautiful Spring.
Emelie
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #20
Ellie F

Hi Chrisy
Just wanted to say how sorry i am that it's back. I knew it wasn't a cure but hoped anyway! I wanted to support Sheila's suggestion about adding pertuzamab as this is in trials here and my onc reckons it is good.
Have you checked if there is a trial for this near you?

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote