HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
VDC

I think I'm in trouble!

Hmmm.......I think I might be in trouble in cancer land! I was originally DX'd with DCIS in October and again in November. Rather than run directly into surgery, I chose to apply to an immunotherapy trial. I was accepted at the beginning of December but was told that they weren't starting any new patients until after the holidays and they would call me at the first of the year to let me know when to come. The second week of January I called and was told that the research team was moving to Tampa Florida and they were not yet sure if any patients would be added before moving to Tampa AND that they didn't know how long it would take to set up their lab in Tampa. I was told that I would be called at the end of January with more information. At that point I decided two more weeks to sit with DCIS was probably a good gamble. Today I called and left a message asking for an update. I didn't receive a return call.

However, the thing that worries me is that yesterday I realized that my breast is quite sore and doesn't feel "right." I stopped in my tracks and thought back to when the "odd" feeling started and realized that I have had pain for 3-4 weeks and just didn't notice it. (I had the biopsy from hell and had side effects and pain from that for a VERY long time) I also realized that the "thick" feeling in my breast is much larger than I remember.

I suspect that DCIS has gone invasive on me! Actually I'm pretty sure of it. I have a diagnostic Mammogram scheduled for Thursday which should at least indicate how much spread there has been.

At this point I decided to call my Mayo oncologist and I left a message asking what new tests etc need to be run prior to setting a surgery date, given my current set of symptoms. I didn't get a call back, but I am certain my oncologist will call on Monday. She is usually pretty "with it" in getting back to me.

...and then I could hear from the immunotherapy trial too.... and what do I do with that? If they say I can start immediately? do I run to surgery or do I start the immunotherapy trial.

It occurs to me that if the current rate of change continues, I will be in a heap of trouble by the time surgery can be set up. It seemed so reasonable to pursue the trial back in November.......

Sigh.
VDC is offline   Reply With Quote