HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2003, 09:50 AM   #1
Jean Curtin

I am reposting on the proper board this time. Has anyone in the U.S. been accepted into the HERA trial? It is NOT being offered in the U.S. Also is anyone receiving Herceptin for early stage breast cancer while not in a clincal trial? If you answer yes to either question could you provide the details. Thank you.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
christine

You are correct that HERA is not a US clinical trial. But there are several trials in progress in the U.S. for women in early stages. I polled the NIH database and have provided a link below.

I have heard of some oncologists giving Herceptin to Stage I II & III bc patients. You may have to either hunt for one or pressure your onc. Another thing to consider is if your insurance company will pay. Herceptin is very expensive to pay out of pocket.

Hugs
Christine
Old 12-10-2003, 01:23 PM   #3
Leslie

I was accepted into a Herceptin clinical trial but was randomized into the standard treatment arm. Since I am high risk (more than 10 positive lymph nodes) I asked my oncologist if he would consider giving me herceptin out of trial. At first he said no.

A few days later he (without me pressuring him) he changed his mind and I dropped out of the trial. I had 4 AC treatments followed by 28 rads followed by 4 taxotere combined with weekly herceptin. I am done with the taxotere and am currently still on the herceptin. I have had 2 muga scans and will have another one after the first of the year.

My health plan is Kaiser and they are paying for the herceptin my only out of pocket is a $10 co-pay.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:50 PM   #4
Leslie

A couple of things I forgot to mention:

I was diagnosed stage 3 3.5 cm tumor 13/15 positive lymph nodes.

My $10 co-pay is for doctor's visits only I do not pay for my treatments.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:31 AM   #5
Lauren

See my reply above to the question about herceptin off trial in Canada. I am in the US and took herceptin off trial. I am nearly two years out of this mess although it feels as if it will never end ya know?