HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Faye

Smile Need First Treatment Advice

Hi, All,
Any way I can prepare for my first Herceptin treatment on Monday morning, Feb. 13th? I mainly concerned about protecting my heart.
Any dietary restrictions or certain vitamins helpful? I am already doing accupunture and taking some herbal supplements okayed by my oncologist.
Back story: Three weeks ago, I finished chemo (dense dose 4 rounds of AC and 4 rounds of Taxol). Best wishes, Faye
Faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Maryanne

Hi Faye,

I as well as a few other members on this site are taking CoQ10 300 mg per day.

Watching your diet and of course walking 3 miles a day are also heart friendly.

Good Luck with the Herceptin, after all the Chemo its a breeze.
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
Faye

Red face Thank you for Quick Reply

Thanks for the helpful info. I'll pull out my walking shoes tomorrow and stock up on CoQ-10. Love and best wishes, Faye
Old 02-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Unregistered

Make sure you drink plenty of water the day of and after infusion. Need to flush it out of the kidneys. The nurses forget to tell each patient. I heard one nurse tell a man who was getting Herceptin. He was surprised and she said that is important with all the drugs we get. He said he couldn't drink much water and so she said in his case they would give him extra fluids!! You will love the Herceptin it will be a breeze. I wished the chemo was the same. hugs, Sandy
Old 02-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
mamacze

Dear Faye,
Welcome to the club! The first dose of Herceptin can cause a mild reaction but after that it is a cinch compared to chemo. Get on those walking shoes, go to the gym and reclaim your life!
love Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
Unregistered

Smile thank you

KIm,
Thanks and best wishes to you. Faye (p.s. I am a CT native)
Old 02-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
Lolly

Drinking lots of fluid before and after is important, and I also try to remember to take 2 Tylenol before I go in, as I sometimes get a headache and "flushing" on my face and neck and Tylenol seems to prevent this.
Good luck with your first treatment, and I hope you find it a cakewalk compared to chemo!

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
Unregistered

You might wish to consider looking at you omega three and six intake.

Omega three is consistently reportes as being benificial for vascular coronary health.

There is a post on articles of interest the importance of omega three and six in breast cancer, which gives an overview.

You can look up specific questions by using search terms on NCBI.

RB
Old 02-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
Marlys

If you do take Tylenol prior to going in be sure to tell the nurses because they may try to give you more. I routinely get Tylenol prior to my infusion.
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
Tami

I got tylenol and benedryl with each infusion. It wasn't until the last treatment and this board that I realized I didn't need the benedryl. Herceptin is a breeze.
I also took 300mg of coq10 thoughout treatments. Muga was 65 before Chemo, was 55 after AC treatment and while getting herceptin for a year my mugas (every 3 months) ranged from 50-55.

Best,
Tami

Last edited by Tami; 02-11-2006 at 09:43 PM..
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #11
sarah

I agree Herceptin is a breeze compared to chemo. I think we all feel it's what keeps us alive so it's a great drug to be getting. I also take some coenzyme 10 but it sounds like I should be taking more. Walks is another good suggestion. I found I was a little tired after the treatment and sometimes even the next day but not enough to stop doing things. Also I have a PMS type reaction to it! The day or 2 before the treatment I get very testy and if anyone says something mean or is difficult - I get angry quickly which is not my nature. Hope it works well for you. I think everyone on the site has taken Herceptin so you should get a lot of replies. Good luck
Sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
Faye

Thank you

Sarah,
Thanks to you and the others that wrote, I made it through my first Herceptin treatment without fear. I am taking CoQ-10, too. Feel a little tired but otherwise all is good. More walking tomorrow. Onward....
Love and best wishes,
Faye
Old 02-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #13
storyteller

Smile

I have taken Herceptin for 11 months and haven't experienced any adverse reaction...well...except that my pants fit somewhat tighter for a few days! For me, Herceptin is a breeze.

Best to you!
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:58 AM   #14
newgg

benedryl buzz

Started herceptin 2 weeks ago and did the "standard" premeds with oral tylenol and IV benedryl for the loading dose. Had never taken benedryl before and got a "buzz" from that IV dose. Fingers tingle, felt dizzy, tingles around lips and speech sounded drunk !!! Nurses alerted and said they have never seen a buzz from benedryl before. Took just a few minutes for it to settle down. Needless to say, will NOT do that again. After reading here may just skip that benedryl. Heck, would rather have a nice glass of merlot !!! Also glad to read about things to do to keep the muga/echo at the right levels. Walking like crazy and doing the CoQ10. Love the info here!! Thank you !!!
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote