HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Breast Cancer Newsfeed
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
News

Multifocal/Multicentric Breast Cancer Connected To A Patient's Risk Of Local Recurren

Not all women diagnosed with operable breast cancer present with a single tumor; some have multifocal disease appear in the breast, which means multiple tumors found in the same breast quadrant, while others have multicentric disease, where multiple tumors are found in separate breast quadrants. Multifocal or multicentric disease is not a standard indication to receive radiation after mastectomy...

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
NanaJoni

Re: Multifocal/Multicentric Breast Cancer Connected To A Patient's Risk Of Local Recu

Some days I question my decisions to go after bc so agressively (bi-lateral mx, chemo, radiation) - but reading this, even though it was a small study, makes me feel more confident. My odd diagnosis of the two tumors being different in pathology (one-triple negative; one-hr/pr -/HER2+++) also seemed to warrant an all out assault early on. And now, almost 3 yrs later, I could have never imagined feeling so good.
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
'lizbeth

Re: Multifocal/Multicentric Breast Cancer Connected To A Patient's Risk Of Local Recu

I didn't see the average time until local recurrence - I'm right at 5 years since diagnosis. I had 3 lesions in the right, but now I'm more concerned about the left.

The lesions were not the same, 2 were pagetoid spread, the other the standard IDC. I'm not sure if they checked the Her2 & ER/PR status on all of them. So far all gone . . . and still NED, whew!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote