HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Lani

for those with brain mets (and those scared of developing brain metastases)

a most remarkable article--I felt it inappropriate to place it with interesting articles as only one tenth as many her2support readers view those posts and it is my impression that there are some out there who could definitely need this news, published in a very respectable journal

I was happy to see an email address attached to the abstract and have forwarded on more information...

1: J Neurooncol. 2006 Sep 26; [Epub ahead of print] Links
A lipoxygenase inhibitor in breast cancer brain metastases.

Flavin DF.
Foundation for Collaborative Medicine and Research, 24 Midwood Drive, Greenwich, CT, 06831, USA, Dana_FK@hotmail.com.
The complication of multiple brain metastases in breast cancer patients is a life threatening condition with limited success following standard therapies. The arachidonate lipoxygenase pathway appears to play a role in brain tumor growth as well as inhibition of apoptosis in in-vitro studies. The down regulation of these arachidonate lipoxygenase growth stimulating products therefore appeared to be a worthwile consideration for testing in brain metastases not responding to standard therapy. Boswellia serrata, a lipoxygenase inhibitor was applied for this inhibition. Multiple brain metastases were successfully reversed using this method in a breast cancer patient who had not shown improvement after standard therapy. The results suggest a potential new area of therapy for breast cancer patients with brain metastases that may be useful as an adjuvant to our standard therapy.
PMID: 17001517 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote