HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Joan M

Another opinion on vitamin D and cancer

A news story from Reuters said that Canadians and Americans get enough vitamin D without supplements and questioned whether the vitamin plays any role in diseases like cancer and MS:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...me=ushealth200

I attended a lecture recently at which Dr. Larry Norton of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center discussed, among other things, a potential link between not getting enough vitamin D and developing cancer. He seemed to think a link exists.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Carol.hope

Re: Another opinion on vitamin D and cancer

Wow. This article says:
"North Americans need on average 400 International Units (IUs) of vitamin D per day, the committee decided. Those 71 and older may require as much as 800 IUs a day." The report referred to had an incorrect link, so I could not check it. But I think the newer information is that we need 2000-5000 IUs a day.

There is plenty of research on the importance of Vitamin D, and this article gives no evidence to refute it. The people at UCSD Cancer Center say that with a high enough level of Vitamin D, cancer can't get a start. RB posted a link to their article a year or so ago. You could search this site for Vitamin D.

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Joan M

Dr. Norton would agree with UCSD Cancer Center, but it seems that the doctors at Penn State and Ohio State Medical Center cited in the story question whether people need that much vitamin D.

I wonder what the outcome will be -- if we ever know. The FDA said the air at ground zero was not hazardous to breath, yet major litigation was just settled to reimburse people who feel their health was affected by breathing that air. And of course the bigger fish was that HRT was (even) good for us, and that is now being questioned.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
ElaineM

Wink Re: Another opinion on vitamin D and cancer

I am going to keep taking my vitamin D no matter what the reports say. It helps. I had blood tests before and after I started vitamin D. Before vitamin D my D levels were below normal and I live in Hawaii !! My D levels became normal after I started taking it.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Joan M

Elaine,

I would agree. Last year my vitamin D levels were low, and I was given 50,000 IUs per week for eight weeks. Now I take 2400 IUs per day. It seems that more and more people are being diagnosed with low D levels.

Joan