HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Mandamoo

metronomic chemo

Hi there my friends
I wanted to ask if anyone has tried metronomic chemo? I seem to remember Jessica maybe trying this?

I am having scans next week to see what is happening to the disease both parts the responsive and non responsive. My tumour markers are now stabilised - going up and down each fortnight but they have stopped declining.

My oncologist has consulted everyone it seems! Certainly the most respected oncologists here in Australia and no one can agree on where to go next with me. There are few trials and what there is I am considered too heavily pretreated now. I may have some Phase1 stuff but not sure I want to go there yet.

The common consensus was to stop anti her2 therapies as I am quite obviously resistant and likely getting benefit from cytotoxic therapies alone. this both frightens me and opens up a range of new options (though limited access due to my Her2 status). One of the options that interested me the most was trying some metronomic therapy. It sounds a little last ditch (most of what we are talking about now is) and I am really unsure whether it is time to put my bag in the the locker and walk out of the game. My oncologist doesn't feel that time is yet, however I remember Emilie making this choice early on and enjoying her final months with family and friends and without the scourge of this treatment ferris wheel.
I would have so many more options trial wise if I lived in the US but I don't so I have to work with what I have. We are considering some more tumour profiling of a different type - previous tests have proved worthless and I am hesitant to spend the money and have results that are useless (i.e. what I have already tried) or to find out there is nothing left to try (something we have to come to terms with).

While I am not one to go down without a fight. I want a good death too.

So my question about metronomic chemo turned into a do I continue or don't I discussion but if anyone has feedback on the metronomic chemo option I would appreciate any input. I know most of you will so don't stop the her2 treatment - we will hold on to what we can but I have a de novo resistance and we have been unable to reverse it so it seems worthless to continue.
Thanks
Amanda
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote