Old 11-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #1
Lani

read at your own peril--UK NHS trying to redirect money spent on herceptin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7115540.stm
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
tricia keegan

Unhappy

Thanks Lani, I actually just saw this report on the BBC news about an hour ago where it got the headline and my heart sank. This kind of report no one needs, in an ideal world there'd be money for both but the 500 patients it has helped may be dead today without it.
I recall the fight some of th eladies in the Uk had, during treatments to secure herceptin and hope this does'nt change the situation for them.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
Christine MH-UK

Disappointed but not surprised

I had hoped that that study indicating that herceptin was cost effective because it not only saved some lives but also lessened the need for secondary care would have closed this issue for good. Apparently not. Still, if the science behind the study indicating that herceptin saves money was good, then there is a chance that this issue can be put to rest.

I still think that herceptin only during chemo deserves further trialing, and not just because it would make herceptin affordable to many more people/countries. I have had alot of IBC and stage III acquaintances not make it on the HERA trial protocol, so was impressed that Hurley in Miami managed a fairly high four-year disease free survival rate for these high risk groups using a treatment in which herceptin was only given with chemo. It was a small study, but statistically the DFS rate was unlikely to be less than two-thirds, which is alot better than my acquaintances has done. (My husband once asked me 'Are any of your friends making it?' during a particularly grim period).

So, there are potential short run and long-run solutions.

Best wishes,

Christine
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Christine MH-UK

Does anybody remember that study besides me? I know that I saw it on here somewhere, but I just can't find it. It was the one that said that herceptin added a year to DFS survival even when it didn't work and saved money by shortening stage IV even when it didn't work. Just can't find it and I know it is important.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
fullofbeans

hi all, again thanks for bringing this up. Christine I cannot rememnebr seeing the study you mention but yep would be good.

Anyhow I have just sent this email to the guy with the poor suggestion.

Dear Dr Kirkbride,
I understand that you have recently commented on the redirecting money from new therapeutic drug such as Herceptin.

I find your view extremely disturbing. Herceptin and the myriad of other Her targeted pathways in development offers a lot of hope for thousands of woman. Just as radiotherapy has its role so does immunotherapy it is not and should not be one or the other.

According to the latest Eurocare study there is a 16% variation in the 10 years survival rate between France and the UK. However France spend the same amount of money per cancer patient but have the latest available drugs free of charge.

I am a 35 y/o metastatic BC patient currently in remission and grateful for herceptin.

Disallowing patient with aggressive cancer access to what is now a conventional drug is in my opinion a very narrow minded way of thinking. I cannot think of a single oncologist that would not prescribe Herceptin to their daughter if she was Her2 +, as I am sure you would.

Considering that the UK GDP is one of the highest in Europe how can someone think in such term? Radiotherapy is important but so are new drugs it is not either or are often a combination of treatments are required. The number you quote is that patient benefiting cost £200k /year. I understand that MP beyond their salary cost £118k/year in various expenses. Cutting off Herceptin on the basis of cost in a rich country like the UK sound like a policy a crooked African country would adopt. Denying the chance to these people is a statement you should understand the weight of.

Best wishes
Karina

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote