HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
roz123

RECONSTRUCTION warning, wish i knew

hi ladies
I posted this on bco.org aswell
as some of you know I had a bi-msx (my choice) with TE's. Due to rads damage I was advised to have a lat dorsi flap on that side. I was not a candidate for DIEP due to insufficient fat.
Well, I have had a ton of complications, the most distressing being constant lower back pain. Seems the rest of my muscles are not "compensating" they way my PS assured me they would. I voiced the concern about loss of muscle strength to him prior to surgery to which he replyed that I would be able to do everything I did before and only if I was "mountain climbing" would it be a problem
Nothing can be further from the truth - my back feels horrible
I am currently doing PT and back to yoga and myofacial release - but after finding some ladies w the same surgery, seems for a select few of us this issue is chronic
so here I am, 44 and in chronic pain due to breast reconstruction surgery
I know I may be the minority here but I just want to let anyone considering this surgery what can happen.
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
IrvineFriend

Re: RECONSTRUCTION warning, wish i knew

They did not work for me, but I was Rx'd lidocaine patches to relieve pain. My roommate used them for back pain, but they didn't do much for her either but that doesn't mean it might not help for you.

As you know, I'm another unlucky one with on-going chronic pain and it get's old and very tiring.

Personally, I would try acupuncture if your Docs OK it. It's kept my 99-year old Grandmother mobile and still living on her own.

Good luck and thank for the support you have given me as well.

-Julie

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
linn65

Oh man that is awful! I will not get reconstruction for another 6 months, and I was told as well due to radiation that I would be able to get some sort of flap. However, I am not sure which or what one yet since just started radiation. All these things you are to know as a patient and it can be very confusing. I am so sorry for all of your pain after everything else!!
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
roz123

linn - you can do other flaps that don't take muscle - DIEP, SGAP etc. If you PS says you don't have enough tummy fat look for alternate areas to take -(I think they take from the buttocks as well as stomach) another suggestion (which was never made to me) is that you can do the radiated breast using DIEP and the other (non radiated) breast with an implant, not ideal but at least you won't be sacrificing muscle - TRUST me you will never be the same
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
linn65

How much tummy fat do you need?
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Mtngrl

I'm so sorry it has worked out badly for you. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I haven't had surgery, and I may not ever have it. But before I was diagnosed at stage iv I was looking at the different procedures, and I was skeptical about ones involving muscle tissue. I really hope you get pain managed successfully.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
ele

I had the Diep procedure and I'm thin with not a lot of fat. My surgeon asked me to gain weight and I added 11 pounds before surgery. I have a small breast from Diep which was fine with me since I had DD before and 6 months later my other breast was reduced in size. A lot of mds won't do Diep on thin people but I was lucky to find a surgeon who had no problem helping me.
ele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
LoisLane

Hi Roz sorry to hear about this ongoing pain with your recent reconstruction, I did see your post on breastcancer.org and I was hoping you would be feeling better. I have tossed the idea back and forth for years about reconstruction. I had a consult with Dr. Hofer's office and they said I (definitely) have enough fat from my abdomen for a bilateral diep. I was worried however because one side had been radiated and I thought there could be a problem with that. I also went to an information session at Sunnybrook with Dr. Laura Snell and Dr. Joan Lipa. Another women I know went through the surgery with these docs and she is thrilled. She said the recovery was very difficult. I hope that your situation will get better with time. Cant the docs do anything to fix this? I think at my age (60) I am not sure I will go ahead with reconstruction because apparently it takes about six months for full recovery. I feel terrible that you are having such a difficult time. I am thinking of you and wish you some relief from this very soon. Lois
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
roz123

loislane - Dr Hofer did my surgery so it was technically well performed. I seem to be a bad case. I would have done 1 diep breast if I was informed of the complications and how much re-hab I would have to do. I have heard of women who do 1 diep and 1 implant. It is what it is now so I have to deal with it.
I am only 44 (42 at diagnosis) so I just couldn't see living without reconstruction but of course hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I would have just done the msx's or at the least a different type of reconstruction
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
'lizbeth

I had severe back pain and found accupunture very helpful, not pain from the reconstruction but another cause.

After taking 10 Advil per day for about 1 - 2 years I tried 6 visits with the acupuncturist. I also received some vigorous massage from the acupuncturist. The pain was totally relieved for about 2 years. Then I went back for another session.

I typically only have minor issues usually for too much of a workout these days.

I see you are receiving myofascial release, but I feel that neuromuscular therapy could be a more appropriate modality. Where is the pain? A contracted muscle spindle will refer pain to another area. Is your therapist familiar with working trigger points?

The Latissimus Dorsi muscle originates at the bottom of the scapula, the spinous processes of the last six thoracic vertebra, last three or four ribs, thoracolumbar aponeurosis and posterior iliac crest. The muscle inserts into the Intertubercular goove of the Humerus.

Lat. Dorsi extends the shoulder, adducts and medially rotates the shoulder.

The Teres Major is nicknamed "lat's little helper" because it is a complete synergist. This muscle originates on the bottom and outer edge of the scapula and inserts on the lesser tubercle of the humerus.

If you remove the Lat Dorsi, the Teres Major will be forced to make up for it's loss.

I checked the referred pain patterns and the Teres Major trigger points typically refers pain into the shoulder. The Lat. Dorsi trigger points refer pain into the mid back at the lower scapula and at the waist.

You can try reaching back, finding the outside edge of the scapula and try squeezing the tissue between it and the axilla to find trigger points. If you find a tendor point or a trigger point hold the spot gently for 30 - 60 seconds or less if it changes. If it worsens lighten the pressure.

Hope this helps and that you find the help that you need.

Get better soon!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
Joanne S

Roz, I feel for you. I had multiple severe complications too. (reconstruction w/expanders) In addition to severe PMPS (post mastectomy pain syndrome) I had a severe infection that almost killed me.....and ended up with chronic back problems. My plastic surgeon was in denial that there was a problem. In addition to physical therapy, I saw two other plastic surgeons and had additional surgery. I also saw a Physiatrist (physical medicine doctor). And I still get treatments regularly from a Manipulative Osteopathic doctor. Unfortunately I don't have breasts. My chest is deformed and I can't wear a bra w/prothesis because it causes pain. I still have back pain but it's more tolerable.

Perhaps you can get some additional diagnostic tests to find out if there is a pinched or dangling nerve or some other hidden problem. In this day and age we should not have to suffer with continuous pain. Please, please consider getting more opinions and diagnostics. Wishing you improvement! In my prayers, Hugs, Joanne
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Last edited by Joanne S; 01-18-2013 at 11:38 PM..
Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
roz123

thanks joanne - I did have a bone scan yesterday (Friday) because my onc was concerned - obviously I am too and keep thinking about possible bone mets since the pain never seems to go away
I am in the process of seeking out different opinions but unfortunately in Canada that process takes a very long time.
What concerns me most is that I spoke to a PT yesterday after another member PM'd me (from bco.org) and she said her lat patients do very well and don't complain of lower back issues. So of course now Im thinking there is something more sinister going on.
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox