HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
valleygirl

docetaxel vs. taxol

started docetaxel, Herceptin and pertuzumab on Aug. 1st because of lung mets. Have never been this sick and the body pain is horrible not to mention the diarrhea and sore mouth. If I stay like this not sure how I'll be able to stay at work. I didn't have many issues while on taxol. I'm wondering what the difference between the two are. I'm wondering if I can ask for taxol instead. Is docetaxel the choice for lung mets? thanks for any insight. can't afford not to work.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Colleen

Re: docetaxel vs. taxol

I was on the same chemo regimen for 6 cycles. The first cycle was the worst! Due to my counts not coming up quickly enough I received a neulasta injection the day after chemo for the other 5 cycles, this helped to keep the mouth sores an other body pain at bay. With the neulasta I took 10 mg of over the counter Claritin for 7 days starting the same day as the injection. The Claritin is recommended to quell the body aches that it may cause, with this combination I was able to tolerate the treatment and function at a reasonable level. My cancer involved my liver, several nodes, and right breast, I am currently NED. Hope this helps, hang in there it will get better.
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
tricia keegan

Are you taking anti nausea meds? Zofran worked well for me and I'd I had Nystatin for the mouth sores but do ask for something to help with the Diarrhea. hang in there and hope it gets easier for you.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
karina14

I have been on Docetaxel and Herceptin on a weekly regimen for lungs and liver mets and I was more in a hospital than at home as my counts were not recovering fast enough. I had severe mucositis with a bonus of a viral mouth infection that went away only when they started to do neupogen injections (to increase wbc). Since then, I have started the Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta and Abraxane (a taxane) is much lighter in terms of side effects, not free of them but compared with docetaxel, a walk in the park.
If Taxotere is hard on you, ask for Abraxane. You need to be strong for a long time to be able to do treatments. Sending you positive thoughts!
2011/08 - 3xTaxotere & Herceptin, followed by 1 year of Herceptin, no rads
2013/09 - mets to liver, bones & lungs, started weekly Taxotere + Herceptin
2013/10 - stopped Taxotere after 4 weeks due to severe side effects, stay on weekly Herceptin, pleurodesis to right lung (previously 2 x thoracentesis)
2014/01 - Dec CT scan shows good liver response but progression to bones, Pamidronate plus Herceptin only
2014/01 - brain & spine MRI (symptomatic) shows very large number of mets in the brain, do urgent WBR (20Gy/5 fractions)

2014/02 - Herceptin, Perjeta, Abraxane, XGeva
2014/08 - stopped Abraxane, stayed on Herceptin, Perjeta, XGeva
2014/12 - brain mets progression, second round of WBR (25Gy/10 fractions), lungs stable, light activity in liver
2015/02 - progression in lungs (lymphangitic carcinomatosis), stop Herceptin / Perjeta, start TDM1
2015/07 - stable on the extra cranial disease (lungs, abdomen)
2015/07- brain MRI show tumors went to the leptomeningeal area and also new one started to grow deep brain, still on TDM1, not sure of next step ....
2015/08 - looking for help to get IT Herceptin in Canada

karina14 is offline   Reply With Quote