HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
vpfeiffer

hi everyone--
I received my last radiation treatment on Tuesday. I had 30 doses...CT/IMRT was used to plan my treatments to superclav, axillary nodes, chest wall and internal mammary nodes. So I have a pretty nasty triangular shaped peeling burn above my scar. I have an even worse burn under my arm--the armpit area has got to be the worst place to have a burn! (I taught my Spin indoor group cycling classes through chemo & radiation and now that I'm done with those things I can hardly stand wearing a sports bra!) I am having a hard time find clothing in my closet that I can wear that isn't snug around the armpit area.

I am using some aloe-based gel that my rad onc doc gave me, which helps, but at times I am very uncomfortable. It is a real pain--literally :-)

My last five treatments were a boost to the scar area, so I am sure I will have these same burn problems in that area by next week.

Can any of you offer advice? I can deal with the pain; my main concern is doing everything I can to help the burns heal properly. The last thing I want is to get an infection and increase my risks of lymphedema.

Thanks, and have a great holiday weekend!

Val
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
al from canada

There's a cream called PraevoSkin

Read about it here: http://www.antiaging-systems.com/extract/s...adiotherapy.htm

IAS is a reputable company and I've been dealing with them for over 15 years. There product line is pharmaceutical quality.

Good luck,
Al
Old 09-03-2005, 06:14 AM   #3
Janet/FL

This may not apply to you, but I will tell you what I did. I had very minor burns under my arm. I was going to a cruise the week after completing radiation. If I moved my arm, it irritated the skin and the skin would peal off. I couldn't wear anything next to the burns nor put my arm down. The onc's office suggested Silverdine--what a mess! It was not going to help me wear my cute new cruise clothes! My neighbor down the street is a retired oncology nurse. She looked at the skin--it was red, some slight peeling where anything had rubbed but not oozing or any infection. She suggested Johnson & Johnson First Aid Adhesive. It was a godsend! I applied those to the area and went on the cruise, swimming, snorkeling--wearing all my new clothes. You can buy the Adhesive OTC at any K-mart or pharmacy.
You should ask at your radiologists if it is right for you. If your burns are too bad they would probably say no until they start healing. When I told my radiologist about it AFTER the cruise--they said they would have recommend if I had asked about two weeks after treatment. I was back home by then having had a wonderful cruise. Glad I didn't wait for their recommendation or I would not have had as nice a trip what with not being able to wear any clothes above my waist or put my arm down to the side or go swimming.

Janet
Old 09-03-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
mickey

Three years ago, I had a mastectomy, no reconstruction. I burned terrible and continued to play tennis. I , too found that a sports bra became too uncomfortable. I talked to the ladies I play with and when we played another team, I talked to them too, and they were so happy I was playing, they did not mind at all that I showed up with a very thin tank top, very lop sided. Women really understand these things.
Mickey
Old 09-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Barbara H.

Hi Val,
I also had terrible radiation burns. It looked like the skin had been burned off with a hot iron. The oncology nurse gave me gel bandages which helped. There is no way I could have worn a bra. This happened in February/March. I was able to wear very soft turtlenecks with a suit jacket or sweater to work.
I hope you heal soon.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
Margaret

Hi Val,
I also had bad radiation burns. I tried all different kinds of lotions then I found one that worked really well. Try emu oil. It worked far better than anything else that I tried. A nurse suggested it to me and I'm so glad she did. So look for emu oil at any health food store. They should have it.
Wishing you speedy healing,
Margaret
Old 09-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
jjfromcanada

I used Jameison's Aloe Vera Gel. The stuff is so pure, you can drink it! Just slather it on. Weird stuff but very hydrating. It is clear and colourless and comes in a jar.

You could also ask for a prescription for cortisone cream.

Also bathe using Dove soap.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
*_Rach_*

Val,

I just finished whole brain radiation and my ears were fried. Doc gave me an aloe gel with hydrocortisone, but it didn't help that much. My sister(who is a nurse) suggested using a cream especially for burns. It is called Thermazene(silver sulfadiazine) cream, 1%. This little miracle healed my ears in a couple of days and was very soothing when put on.

Maybe this will benefit you also!

Rach
Old 09-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #9
vpfeiffer

hi again--
It's been a couple days, so I thought I'd let you know what I have tried--in case anyone else reads this thread in the future.

Al recommended PraevoSkin, and that sounded good, but because it has to be ordered online, I didn't order it because I was too desperate :-)

I had some gel things like Barbara suggested, which provide relief, but the kind I had were for laying around with and were to provide relief, not healing. But I did try them and they feel great!

Margaret mentioned Emu Oil, but our local health food store isn't open that many hours on the weekend--I live in wisconsin, which isn't know for healthy eating--we are lucky to even have a health food store, so we need to be grateful for the hours they are open.

Rach said to use Thermazene(silver sulfadiazine) cream--for me that wasn't an option because I am allergic to Sulfa.

JJ suggested Jameison's Aloe Vera Gel. I was given an aloe-based gel by my radiation oncologist (Natural Care Gel, produced by C. R. Bard in Covington GA), which is what I have been using since I started radiation. But after posting this topic and reading the replies, I got to thinking about my aloe vera plant. Yesterday I started using the gel from the plant leaves. And my burns look better already! It could be that it was their time to start looking better anyway, but who knows.

I'm still uncomfortable, but I know that this won't go on forever, so I will be patient :-)

Val
Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Unregistered

Re: Help! Radiation burns!

I have the same problem, under the arm pit is soooooo sore, the doctor gave me silvadene and that was a waste of time, i too am trying the emu oil, what i like about it is it feels greasy but it doesn't stick to my clothes, i've read so many good things about it i figured it can't hurt. i had 28 treatments i am 5 days done , my underarm is so sore i too feel like i can't put my arm down. i am taking motrin during the day and percote at night to help me sleep. i feel like i am swollen too. i also tried tea bags, i boiled 6 of them, let them cool and put them in a wash cloth and just laid them under my armpit it did help for a while i actually didn't feel any pain. i hope the worst is over.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
candlegranny

i had the exact same as you!! I told my radiologist.... bad sunburn my butt, it was like a hot iron and laid on my chest for 30 seconds and RIPPED off!!! it was nasty an thank GOd I have no feeling in my armpit. that part of the burn was awful. I have to say of all my treatments... the healing of the radiation burn was the worst part of it all. I was told by the radiologist techs to put half water and half peroxide in a spray bottle and gently spray the whole area this helped dry it up. I did the water and creme twice a day ( morning and nite) it was nasty and gooey awful. I used sivladene cream too and kept on tshirt all the time. i had my last radiation treatment on October 1, and i still am not wearing a bra. I only have one little spot left to heal it is maybe 1/4 inch wide and inch long. i use aqua fore on my spot now. It has healed up nicely but i tell you that burn was the worst of my treatments. I had no feeling under my arm. my whole arm pit was raw! doc said if i could feel it I would have needed meds for pain. I never had an infection at all there. I wore white tshirts to bed and white tanks under all my tshirts stopped using silvadene cream as burn shrank and now i jsut use aqua fore per my lymphedema therapist. My lyphedema came either cause of my finger nails falling off and teh radiation. there is hope and the burn will heal but it is slow. Made me have a real appreciation for the strength burn patients have for their healing process. good luck. I cannot believe we experiences so much similarity in radiation. bonita
2.7 cm 18/31 nodes
mets to just above collar bone ( 2 nodes showed in PET)
ER- PR - / Her2 +++ (IHC) Stage 111 C
ki-67 60% nottingham score 7
A/C chemo mar 22,2010 DD
herceptin & taxotere DD june 1,2010
finished taxotere july 12, 2010
finished herceptin 16 May 2011
PET Scan 9 Aug 10, cancer in neck is gone! NED
33 Rads completed 1 Oct 2010
PET/CT Scan 6 Jan 2011 NED
PET/CT Scan 3 Aug 2011
MUGA 59% 3/22/10 -63% 9/23/10 - 51% 1/4/11 - 55% 2/17/11 - 50% 8/3/11
26 Aug 2011 NED
20 Feb 2012 NED
5 Mar 2012 PORT OUT
12 July 2012 DIEP breast reconstruction
23 Aug 2012 NED
15 Nov 2012 new breast tweeked and natural breast uplifted and implant added
17 Feb 2013 NED
27 mar 2013 lipo suction to add fat cells to new breast in hopes for needed adjustment.

"Don't spend your time worrying about when or how you are going to die, spend your time figuring out how you are going to live today". ~Elizabeth Edwards.
candlegranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Mel3

I am on day 25 of radiation and I have fair skin. I have tried aloe gel wit aquaphor, lidacaine and aloe, it's what they gave me @ the center. I apply it three times a day. I have also used Traumeel which works well and relieves the pain. One unusual treatment that has really helped is acupuncture. My doctor uses needles for heat and I was amazed at how it worked! Perhaps you could find an acupuncture doctor and go early next week. I am so happy I began acupuncture after my first chemotherapy, it has helped with all of my side effects. Trammel is easy to find and is good for pain relief. Good luck.
Mel3 is offline   Reply With Quote