HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #41
TriciaK

Dear Chelee, May I add my deepest sympathy and condolences to the tender loving thoughts you have received here from others. I am 77 now, and I lost my mother when she was only 47, my sister at age 53 of BC, and my dad of a massive stroke at 55. I have been without any of my original family for so very long, and yet I still feel them close and know I will see them someday. I don't know why I have lived so much longer than any of them, or even grandparents. It was so very hard for so long, but now I have a very large posterity, and each one is precious to me,too. How my mother would have loved her grandchildren and great grandchildren! Life goes on and the generations go on. Love and memories are really all we can leave for each other and all we can take with us. I pray that as time goes on you will find more and more comfort in memories of your wonderful mother's love and all that you shared. God bless you! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #42
CLTann

Chelee, my deepest condolence and sympathy. Lung cancer is a very dreadful disease. As the Sloan Ketterling lung cancer head once told me, the medical science has not found a way to combat this disease yet. Your mother is free from misery now and she will always be a very special person to you. Please take care of yourself. My prayer for you and your family.

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #43
Mary Jo

Dear Chelee,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Truly I am.

Sending a prayer for God to comfort you and give you peace.

Love,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #44
SoCalGal

I am sorry for your loss. When I lost my mom, I will share with you the two things that comforted me. 1. The realization that for some people in our lives, it would never be the right time to say goodbye. That helped me to realize that even if my mom lived past 57 to 87 or 97 I still wouldn't want to loose her. And #2. Love never ends. I find little parts of my mom in me every single day. You will find the same once you are further along in your grief process.

I wish you some peaceful moments in the days and weeks ahead.
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #45
kareneg

Unhappy

Dear Chelee,

I am so very sorry sending you my love and prayers.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #46
Sherryg683

You are in my prayers Chelee, I am so sorry to hear this. ...sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #47
Catherine

Dear Chelee,

What a sadness you are enduring. I wish I could be there with you as a support. For now, just know that we are all with you. Life can be so sad. But life is for us to live. God will take care of your mom. I just do not know how you are to replace your mom's spot in your special life. Take all of the support and love you can get and hold yourself up.

Hugs, Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:11 AM   #48
Kimberly Lewis

So very sorry for your loss Chelee, I know about being close to your mom. Mine has also been more like a sister to me. My dad was abusive and we really held eachother up through all those bad times. I will feel lost when she goes on too. Praying for comfort for you.. Kim

Diagnosed 7/05
Stage 3a er+(45%) pr+(68%) Her2+ (40%)
3.8 cm + .8cm multi focal - pleomorphic lobular tumors
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
surgeries: double mastectomy, hysterectomy (LAVH)
A/C,Herceptin for 1 year completed 11/06
femara

Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #49
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
My Dear Chelee

Dear Chelee,

My arms are around you. I know how painful the loss of a parent is. I am glad to read that you were so blessed to have such a strong and wonderful person as your mother. And that your relationship was so very special. May you come to realize what a true blessing that is. For now, it is understandable that you are focusing on the loss of your dear best friend and mom. That is natural. But if you can, step back and see how remarkable that relationship was and appreciate that you had it for so long. It is always too soon to lose someone we love, even if they are ninety nine years old. I surely wish you and your mother could have been together for decades to come. But I do know that she is at peace now, that she is watching over you and that you will meet again. Death is not the end of our story. The Soul survives.

In time, and I pray it is a long, long time for you here in the physical plane -- you will be with your mom again. In the meantime, though she cannot talk, you can hear her. Though you cannot see her, you can sense her presence. As Life goes on, as it must, you will hear your mother's words in your head, responding to little things. Your actions will come spontaneously, but suddenly you will realize that they stem from your mother's example. Your memories and engraved in your heart and it is my prayer that they will serve to comfort you. And may the knowledge that so very many people truly care and grieve with you also help to soothe your sorrow. I wish you peace with what is. Your mom is full of love for you still, just as your love for her endures. Love is indestructible. Eternal. And full of miraculous wonders. With much love and my sincerest condolences, sweet Chelee...
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #50
G. Ann

Dear Chelee,
It is so hard to lose a parent (or loved one). At a dear friend's funeral two years ago, the priest said the pain felt was so great for family & friends because there was "much love." It is a blessing you were able to share love with one another. With your mom's lung cancer and your battle with BC, I'm sure your bond was strengthened even more.

I hope all your good memories will help comfort you. During this difficult time, try and take good care of yourself.

You are in my thoughts and prayers--G. Ann
Stage 2, 0/18 nodes
TX 4 AC (no taxanes, no radiation)
Hysterectomy 10/04
Began Herceptin 1/06, finished 1/07
G. Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #51
Chelee

I want to thank all of you for your condolences and heart felt words of support. I am deeply moved by all your kind words. My gratitude to all of you is inexpressible. I know its only been six days since my Mother passed away but the pain seems to get worse each day. Its the realization that I can never pick up that phone and talk to her again. Let alone I usually went to see her at least 3 or 4 times a wk. Tomorrow will be very difficult because it will be the 1st day since her passing that I have two doctors appts. One on Wed., and then Thrus. I would *always* swing by my Moms house after running an errand or going to a doctors appt. There was hardly a time I ran out without stopping by to see her.

My Dad died when I was only 5 yrs old. Died of a massive heart attack. Since Dad died my Mother has been everything to me. My Mom, sister and best friend. I was so blessed to have her in my life. I have lots of wonderful memories of her that no one can take away...but the thought that I can never talk to her again is so painful. There is so much I'm going to miss about her. I feel like such a big part of me is missing never to be the same. I'm glad she is without pain and no longer suffering...but oh how I wish I had her back again....even for just five minutes. She told me once if something happened to her to pull myself by my bootstraps and keep going. How I wish it were that easy. Again...thanks to all of you for your heartfelt condolences. I appreciate all your kind words...it means more to me then you could possible know at this difficult time. Thanks for all your kindness & words of comfort. I really needed it. I knew this is the one safe place I could express myself.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:21 PM   #52
chrisy

Chelee,
My mom died after struggling with illness for some time. A few days after she passed, she came to me in a dream. She was dancing on a railing in a crowded plaza. I believe she was telling me she was happy and free, once again.

And she is with me still.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #53
kcherub

Dear Chelee,

I am so, so very sorry to hear about your mother's passing. I am so thankful that you were able to be with her. Please know that while I cannot understand your grief, I send out huge hugs and sincere sympathy for you! More reason to fight on...

Anytime you need to talk,
Krista
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #54
Barbara2

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top>Daily Word — Wednesday, August 8, 2007

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Comfort

Sustained and uplifted by God, I am filled with courage and hope.

There is comfort in knowing that God is with me at all times and in all circumstances. Every concern is overcome through the unconditional love of God. I am sustained and uplifted—filled with courage and hope.

Just as Peter was beckoned by Jesus to walk across the water to Him, so, too, am I called to a greater demonstration of my faith. Perhaps I have been grappling with a challenge or a loss—trying to make my way through the experience. As I elevate my thoughts from the challenge to God, I am comforted and filled with courage and hope.

In prayer, I feel anxiety subside. My spirits are buoyed. As I move forward with God in this experience, I step out with confidence.

“Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and through grace gave us eternal comfort and good hope, comfort your hearts and strengthen them in every good work and word.”—2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Chelee, I want to join the others in expressing heartfelt condolences to you. Those of us who have lost a parent or anyone near and dear to us, knows how it feels to have a broken heart. My dad died of liver cancer 33 years ago and I still miss him very much yet today.

We pray for God's strength to bring you comfort and peace. Something that brings me great peace is knowing that someday I will see and be with my dad again. That thought brings positive thoughts to me while dealing with breast cancer. Someday, you will be together again. For now, may you find comfort in your faith.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote