HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Other`Support Groups

We certainly appreciate the value of other support groups and will feature a different support group on our home page each month.

This month we are highlighting: Men Against Breast Cancer.

If you are aware of any smaller support group which should be featured, let us know.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
anne2

Joe,
I can certainly appreciate your support of other support sites. I do feel it is important that I tell you my experience with one site in particular. I don't know if I should name it, but it is a major support site for BC. When my mom first got dx with Her 2 +, I was looking for lots of info on the internet. When I happend to get on the site, all the info on there let me to believe that Her 2 + automatically meant that you were stage 4 or will be very soon. There was a an attitude even amongst the members that was:"Thank God atleast we are not Her2 +". I know things have changed in the last couple of years with the advent of adjuvant Herceptin, but I did want to spare any new people dx, the anguish and depression that I initially went thought. It was a great pleasure for me to find this site and appreciate all the love, encouragement and info here.
That's my 2 cents worth anyway,
Hugs,
Anne
anne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
PinkGirl

Talking my 2 cents too

I went to lots of other bc support sites and searched through all the member bios until I found one that indicated her2+. I felt very isolated not knowing anyone who was her2+ and got very discouraged when women were exclaiming their relief at not having it. The bio I read was from AlaskaAngel and she led me to this site....what a find for me!!! I'm sure there are good ones out there, but it sure is scary when others talk about us like we are doomed. Just my 2 cents.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
Catherine

I appreciate this site

I too appreciate the support and factual information on this site. I only knew about Komen when I was first DX. I barely understood HER2. Luckily and thankfully, Tricia from Ireland saw my post on Komen and recommended this site. I would still be depressed and confused if I had not been directed here. Kudos for those who openly share their experiences and keep them on the educational side. Of course, I love the sisterhood support too. Thank you Joe and Christine.

Catherine in Oregon, 18 month survivor

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021

Last edited by Catherine; 09-12-2007 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: spelling
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 AM   #5
Lala

Joe
I applaud you for being the first website I have seen post a link for caregivers and men against breast cancer. I feel our caregivers do not get enough support and recognition for all they do for us. I recently saw my husband help support a new caregiver and I was so proud of him. My heart aches for all those caregivers who are alone and isolated. I am so happy to see someone has finally linked a website to bring community to the caregiver.

Again Thank you Joe and Christine for once again being a step ahead of all the other websites.

Kindest Regards,
Lala is offline   Reply With Quote