HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
suzan w

Re: Help!!!

I was ER+/PR+ and Herceptin worked for me!!!!! Then I found out I was BRCA2+ and out with the ovaries (I am a Grammie though and no ovaries is fine with me!!!)
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #22
WayTooYoung

I just learned that my tumour may be surgically removable...my surgeon says it is on the surface of the chest wall and feels she can get around it to extract it. I felt good about this idea and so I agreed. But what will happen after that? Will I still need chemo?
Jul 2010- Mastectomy +12 lymphs (4+)
Oct 2010- Radiation/Begin Herceptin (Her2 was overlooked by my Onco!)
Sep 2011- End of Herceptin
Nov 2011- Recurrence-->Chest Wall, muscle, and possible lymph (ER+, PR-, Her2+++)...WTF!!!???!!!
Feb 2012-Randomized for Clinical Trial
Feb 2012- Begin blind study either TDM1 w/Pertuzumab or TDM1 w/Placebo Pertuzumab
Jan 2013-2nd Recurrence, off TDM1...what next?
Feb 2013-chest wall resection
Feb 2013-Begin Zoladex :(
Apr 2013-Begin Femara
Jul 2013-Oopherectomy + both tubes
Oct 2013-Chest wall recurrence same spot...Dr monitor
Nov 2013-New nodule on chest...restaging...bone/ct clear...continue to monitor
Mar 2014-Surgeon fr/dif hospital confirms lung metasis based on review of CT scan from Nov...Onc recommends Aromasin/Affinitor...
Apr 2014-Start Herceptin+Vinorelbine
Sep 2014-New pain in lower back, MRI confirms metastasis
Oct 2014-SBRT to lungs
Nov 2014-SBRT to lower back
Dec 2014-Restaging confirms two new nodules to lungs and lower spine :(
Jan 2015-Xeloda and Tykerb (good response)
Aug 2015-Xeloda/Tykerb not working...Dr wants to try Taxol/Herceptin combo...problem, Herceptin not covered by OHIP
Sep 2015-Begin Taxol continue Xgeva
Oct 2015-Add Herceptin
Nov 2015-CT stable but MRI shows new mets to spine :(
Jan/Feb 2016-Start Erubulin (Halavan)
May 2016-Progression...Stop Erubulin
June 2016-PMH to explore Clinical Trial options...consideration for Immunotherapy
July 2016-Screening for Trial...Still without treatment, experiencing low appetite, low energy, pain, and rapid wieght loss...cachexia???

You never know how STRONG you really are...until being strong is the only CHOICE you have...
WayTooYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #23
Pray

Happy Birthday to you WTY! I think it is fantastie news! Gods blessings to you. Please know that you are in my prayers.
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #24
Lien

Hi WTY,

I was 44 at diagnosis and did Zoladex to shut down my ovaries + Arimidex (similar to Femara). When I quit hormonal therapy, my periods gradually came back when I was 50. I've had no recurrences. I never received Herceptin, as that was not done at the time in the Netherlands, where I live.

So if I had a choice, I'd try the hormonal approach first. It can be very effective. I know women who have survived on that for a long time. One of them had mets to the liver. She must be 14 or 15 years out from diagnosis by now. Ofcourse there is no guarantee that it will work for you. The only advantage you have, is that the nodule is still there, and you can monitor effectiveness of therapy by the response you can see. If the tumor is removed, it's not possible to see whether it works or not. Also, if you tend to get many side effects from chemo, you might have less problems with Hormonals. Ofcourse there are no guarantees, and you may need additional Herceptin. But this approach would a. give you the option to still have children one day, b. let you find out whether therapy has an effect or not and c. would probably give you the best Quality of life.

You can always decide to have tumor and/or ovaries removed later, if things don't work out the way you hoped. But if you start with that, you may never know that a "milder" treatment would have been ok too. You could start with just hormonals and add Herceptin to see how that works.

Just my 2 cents. I may be totally wrong here, but my way of thinking makes sense to me. It may even make sense to you. Who knows? ;-)

Hang in there!

Hugs

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #25
IrvineFriend

Here is a link from the ACS about maintaining fertility during chemo, banking your eggs/embryo's, etc. The group Cure4Cat would likely also have some information about fertility/having children post cancer treatment since it's geared for people closer to your age.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/trea...reatment-women

Best to you,

-Julie

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #26
IrvineFriend

Hi there,

I hijacked this from one of Paula O's posts regarding wanting to have children after a cancer diagnosis:

Here is an ad I saw:

"If you are a woman of reproductive age & a US citizen who has received a new cancer diagnosis and wish to undergo fertility preservation PRIOR to the start of cancer treatment, you can now receive certain FREE fertility medications.

Walgreens and Ferring Pharmaceuticals Inc. are collaborating to provide free access to certain fertility medications (specifically Bravelle, Menopur, and Novarel) and educational resources including informational guides detailing how cancer treatment affects fertility, access to highly specialized nurses, multimedia materials outlining potential fertility options patients may wish to discuss with their physician, and specialized modules to teach injection training.
Have your physician call Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy at 888-347-3415 with a verbal prescription and the medication will be shipped via UPS to either the physician’s office or the patient. No completion of forms is required."

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #27
Mtngrl

I was diagnosed after menopause, and only slightly ER positive. That being said, hormonal treatment did nothing for me. Someone above said that HER-2 cancers seem mostly fueled by that characteristic. That is true for me and for several other folks I know.

I'm sorry you washed out on TDM-1. We're all so hopeful for the next big thing, but the truth is everybody is different. One person's miracle drug is someone else's bust.

Don't despair. A local recurrence is not a bucket list situation, and there are lots and lots of treatment combinations for HER-2 cancer. It went from being "the bad kind" to being "the good kind." You will live to see a cure--or permanent treatment/management that might as well be a cure.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #28
WayTooYoung

Hello ladies,

Yesterday I broke down and really cried. My oncologist sent me to go see my radioOnc just to be sure nothing can be done in that department. She said he would most likely say I do not qualify for surgery since I already had maximum dosage and that people only get radiated once in a lifetime due to side effects and dangers...well, HE SAID he was recommending that I get the same amount of radiation for 5 weeks!!! For some reason, that doesn't even sound right to me...I felt scared, confused, and worried.

He is also saying that the best way to administer the radiation is to deliver it 2 times a day at 6 hours apart!!! I do not live close to this hospital at all and I would have to leave my teaching job. I feel so overwhelmed BC I have bills to pay...

Anyone with radiation experience??? Lost and confused more than ever!
Jul 2010- Mastectomy +12 lymphs (4+)
Oct 2010- Radiation/Begin Herceptin (Her2 was overlooked by my Onco!)
Sep 2011- End of Herceptin
Nov 2011- Recurrence-->Chest Wall, muscle, and possible lymph (ER+, PR-, Her2+++)...WTF!!!???!!!
Feb 2012-Randomized for Clinical Trial
Feb 2012- Begin blind study either TDM1 w/Pertuzumab or TDM1 w/Placebo Pertuzumab
Jan 2013-2nd Recurrence, off TDM1...what next?
Feb 2013-chest wall resection
Feb 2013-Begin Zoladex :(
Apr 2013-Begin Femara
Jul 2013-Oopherectomy + both tubes
Oct 2013-Chest wall recurrence same spot...Dr monitor
Nov 2013-New nodule on chest...restaging...bone/ct clear...continue to monitor
Mar 2014-Surgeon fr/dif hospital confirms lung metasis based on review of CT scan from Nov...Onc recommends Aromasin/Affinitor...
Apr 2014-Start Herceptin+Vinorelbine
Sep 2014-New pain in lower back, MRI confirms metastasis
Oct 2014-SBRT to lungs
Nov 2014-SBRT to lower back
Dec 2014-Restaging confirms two new nodules to lungs and lower spine :(
Jan 2015-Xeloda and Tykerb (good response)
Aug 2015-Xeloda/Tykerb not working...Dr wants to try Taxol/Herceptin combo...problem, Herceptin not covered by OHIP
Sep 2015-Begin Taxol continue Xgeva
Oct 2015-Add Herceptin
Nov 2015-CT stable but MRI shows new mets to spine :(
Jan/Feb 2016-Start Erubulin (Halavan)
May 2016-Progression...Stop Erubulin
June 2016-PMH to explore Clinical Trial options...consideration for Immunotherapy
July 2016-Screening for Trial...Still without treatment, experiencing low appetite, low energy, pain, and rapid wieght loss...cachexia???

You never know how STRONG you really are...until being strong is the only CHOICE you have...
WayTooYoung is offline   Reply With Quote