HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
KellyA

pain in hip

Ok, I have read alot on this site about joint pain/ stiffness after chemo and with herceptin. I started with pain ON my hip/pelvic bone about a week ago. I don't remember doing anything to injure it, but do remember a little stiffness prior to the pain. It is a wierd pain- it's not in the "mechanics" of the hip, meaning I can use it without pain, it just feels like a giant massive bruise on the pelvic bone that sticks out. I can press on it and feel exactly where it hurts. It has gotton progressively worse over the last couple of days. I saw my onc yesterday and he wasn't sure if it was herceptin/chemo related or not. If the pain is still there in 3 weeks at my next visit, he will scan me. Has anyone else had this? The only thing that is making me feel better is that I generally hurt all over (but it comes and goes) and that that might be a sign of aches from meds. Of course I am really worried and its hard to focus on anything else right now. I so look forward to the day when the "hurts" go away and I feel like myself again....

Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
tousled1

Kelly,

I have constant pain from my Herceptin treatments. Two weeks ago I complained to my oncologist about pain in my left left -- not the same pain as I normally have. It was a different pain. She sent me for an Xray fo the hip, upper leg and knee. Everything looked fine. The pain has subsided now but I still wonder in the back of my mind if it isn't a warning sign of something. Had my Herceptin treatment today, blood work and got the results of my CA27-29 which was 13.1. My HER2 serum blood test wasn't back yet. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but I would definitely have it checked out. I'm due to have my PET/CT scan in January as I get them every 3 months right now. My scan in October was fine.

I think the most difficult part of having cancer is the worry of recurrence or mets. As much as we want to just get on with life we alwyas have that little voice in the back of our minds reminding us that we have cancer. I surely would like to learn not to listen to it. Goood luck to you and keep us posted.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Ruth

Kelly ~ You are on Taxol now right? I just want to assure you that I had (and many other wonderful ladies) joint and bone pain it seemed with Taxol or Taxotere. Sometimes it would seem to focus on one spot (hip, back or leg) and I would get concerned until I was reassured that it could be treatment related and not necessarily anything else. I think your Dr. is wise to wait a few more weeks before you do expensive tests. Has the chemo put you into menopause? It put me there & it seemed I was in more pain because of that. Now, I am out of it & almost wishing it was gone again! :-)

Try not to touch that spot for a while and see if it gets better on its own. I wish you grace and peace this weekend.

Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Mary Jo

Hi Kelly,

I, like you, had the exact same pain in my hip. A specific pain in a specific area - even hurt at times to lay on it in bed. It is gone now. I'm sure - no I take that back - I'm positive it was from the herceptin. I have been off of herceptin now 8 weeks and almost all hip/knee pain has subsided.

It's funny how when we go on herceptin they tell us "there are no side effects" - I have definitely found that to NOT be the case with most of us. However, that being said, I found herceptin extremely tolerable and for the benefit it is SO worth it. BUT, those dang worries when things crop is so sickening at times.

My hope is in the Lord and rests securely on this verse "all the days ordained for me were written in your book before even one came to pass" Psalm 139:16 - Whenever I find myself fretting over "what if this" or "what if that" I pray and then concentrate on that verse and that reminds me that what will be will be and I try to rest and find peace in that.

God Bless -

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:18 AM   #5
KellyA

Thank you all so much for your replies. I feel much better now, and that means alot with the holidays coming up. It was very hard to concentrate aon anything else.
Ruth- I have finished my Taxol- about 1 month ago, which is why (partiallly) I was so worried. I was on weekly Herceptin, and had my first three week dose before all of this started. Do you think the bigger dose had anything to do with it? I told my onc that I have felt worse in the last three weeks than I have in a long time (pain,nausea,etc). We were going to try one more 3 week dose and if it hadn't gotten any better, we would go back to weekly. I didn't have this trouble weekly.
It really is so frustrating- I was so excited to get through with chemo and start getting on with things only to be hurting (alot) all the time. How in the world do you put it behind you if you have a constant reminder of pain (along with many others- bald, fat, hot flashes... :-) hee, hee). I really am usually a go getter and too busy to worry and be depressed, but I am having a hard time with this. It feels like some strange cruel torture. I might be in a crazy ward before this is all over......
Marejo- thanks for the verse. My favorite is Matthew 6:25 Do not worry
I lose sight now and then and am grateful for friends like you that help.

Love, Kelly
all scans clear
30 rads

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 12-09-2006, 06:14 AM   #6
tousled1

Kelly,

I had Taxatere not Taxol and I had a lot of neuropathy pain while on it. Since I am on Herceptin only I have sever bone/muscle/joint pain. I tried every week and every three week dosing. There was a post from Lani that suggested having the Herceptin reconstituted with Saline Water instead of benzyl alcohol. I had my three week dose of Herceptin yesterday and had them reconstitute it with saline water. What a difference! I can already tell the difference. I got up this morning and my feet didn't feel like they were going to snap! You may want to ask your oncologist about reconstituting the Herceptin with saline water. You can also look this up on the Herceptin website -- reconstituting with saline water instead of benzyl alcohol. Best of luck to you.
14 of 26 nodes positive
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
Old 12-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
KellyA

Thank you so much for the info Kate! I will print this and bring it on my next visit. I don't know what I would do without this site. It has helped enormously. Did you notice a difference in pain on the weekly vs. three week dose?

Love, Kelly
all scans clear
30 rads

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 12-09-2006, 06:29 AM   #8
tousled1

Kelly,

I did not notice a change in pain whether I was getting the Herceptin weekly or every three weeks. I tried both. I was almost ready to tell my oncologist that I wanted to go off Herceptin completely! I did call my oncologist's office the day before my scheduled treatment and spoke to the nurse about my request. She spoke to the doctor and got the ok. I wasn't scheduled to see the doctor this time. It's really no big deal to have this done at least not at the facility where I go. They actually have a pharmacy tech right there so my Herceptin is mixed up while I'm waiting for the results of my blood work.
14 of 26 nodes positive
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Old 12-09-2006, 06:45 AM   #9
KellyA

Thanks- The facility I go to is the same. The pharmacist is right there. I really appreciate the info.

Love, Kelly
all scans clear
30 rads

-Eleanor Roosevelt