HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2017, 02:13 AM   #81
Paula O

Re: Fun Free Opportunities/resources for Breast Cancer patients

Below is some info about a wonderful organization that I am sharing in hopes that it’ll be a blessing to others here as it was to me. I received so much encouragement and support from two women who were assigned to me as my “Chemo Angels”. I highly recommend these folks. The link is below.
---Paula

“The Chemo Angels program offers support to

those who find themselves in one of the most

challenging situations of their lives – receiving a

cancer diagnosis and beginning IV chemo

treatment.

Our angels support their “buddy” throughout

their IV chemotherapy journey with cards,

uplifting messages, supportive words and lots of

positive energy. The encouragement our Angels

provide helps give patients the comfort and

confidence of knowing they are not alone in

their fight.”

For more information and to apply

online, please visit our website at:

www.chemoangels.com
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:45 PM   #82
Paula O

Ford Warriors in Pink

"One of the most requested resources during breast cancer treatment is help with meals. That’s why we’re working with Green Chef to provide patients with an easy, healthy way to help put food on the table.

Green Chef’s meal kit delivery service sends fresh, organic ingredients and delicious, chef-crafted recipes right to your doorstep. The kits include everything patients or caregivers need to make a nourishing home-cooked meal in about 30 minutes. Each delivery includes healthy ingredients and instructions for cooking up to three meals for two. And family-sized boxes provide up to two meals for four.

Now, Ford Warriors in Pink is giving 500 patients two complimentary boxes of Green Chef meals* that best suit their dietary preferences. If you’re currently undergoing breast cancer treatment and would like to apply to receive these meal kits, please answer the questions below.** We’ll send you a response within 7-10 days, along with a unique code to use on the Green Chef website if you’re approved."

http://www.warriorsinpink.ford.com/m...ore-good-meals

-----------------------------------------
We’re looking for breast cancer patients and survivors
who want to try something new!

https://ford.exposuremarketing.com/m...ion2017-170505

Ready to take on a new adventure? Reinvent yourself? Get motivated? Ford Warriors in Pink® wants to inspire you to do all of these things! So we’re heading across the nation on a More Good Days Tour to offer a unique series of empowering experiences.

From hot-air balloon rides to rumba classes to glassblowing workshops – and a whole lot more – each experience is designed to give breast cancer patients and survivors more good days.

Take a look at the activities in the cities below, then tell us why you would be a great candidate for a good day experience. If you’re chosen, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in something new. Some experiences even include a spot for a co-survivor, so you can share your good day with someone special.

DENVER
REGISTRATION OPEN:
MAY 26 - JULY 14
MIAMI
REGISTRATION OPEN:
JUNE 05 - AUGUST 04
SEATTLE
REGISTRATION OPEN:
JUNE 14 - AUGUST 25
CHICAGO
REGISTRATION OPEN:
JULY 05 - SEPTEMBER 15
ATLANTA
REGISTRATION OPEN:
JULY 21 - OCTOBER 06
NEW YORK

-----------------------

Warriors in Pink® is teaming up with A Little Easier Recovery to offer breast cancer patients in treatment and recovery helpful tools to add ease to their journey.

The Jacki® jacket: A unique design helps patients manage post-surgical discomfort. Features such as pockets for drains and easy-open enclosures offer patients independence, full functionality and sophisticated discreetness.

A patient organizer: Sometimes, something as simple as keeping track of important paperwork can be tough during treatment and recovery. This patient organizer is pre-labeled and filled with helpful information so that you can keep important documents in one place.

Ford Warriors in Pink is providing breast cancer patients with complimentary Jacki jackets and patient organizers in hospitals and treatment centers* and to a select number of patients who apply online.** If you’re heading into surgery or currently undergoing treatment and would like to receive one of these complimentary items, here is the link:
http://www.warriorsinpink.ford.com/m...jacki-jackets/

-------------------------

https://www.pinkfund.org/

Real Help Now = Real Hope Now

The Pink Fund provides 90 day non-medical cost-of-living expenses to breast cancer patients in active treatment for breast cancer, so they can focus on healing, raising their families, and returning to the workplace.

The Pink Fund distributes short-term financial aid, for basic living expenses, on behalf of breast cancer patients who have lost all or a part of their income during active treatment. Payments are made directly to the patient’s creditors.

Short term is defined as a period of up to three consecutive months of non-medical financial assistance with a cap of $3,000, based on available funding. Please note our ability to provide support varies based on the number of qualified applicants and available funding. We suggest you seek out additional resources. Please see our Resources listed to the left.

Basic living expenses considered are health insurance premiums, mortgage or rent payments, car payments, car insurance, utilities and car repairs. The Pink Fund does not make payments for any medical treatments, prescription drugs (including hormone therapy), medical co-pays, insurance deductibles, prostheses, wigs, food, gasoline.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #83
IrvineFriend

Paula,

Thank you so much for your continued source of resources for cancer patients. I'm cancer free at the moment, but have a niece who is late stage and she's only in her 30's. She is not HER2+ or her diagnosis would be better according to her sister. She is not responding to any treatments. She is an elementary school teacher and such a lovely person. I personally live too far away to assist but your posts are a gift to her. Thank you.
-Julie

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:58 AM   #84
Paula O

Dear Julie,

That's great news to hear that you are healthy now! HOORAY!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry about your niece. (((((HUGS)))) Boy, that's really rough stuff she is going through. I'm glad you've been able to share the links to these free resources with her and hope they are some help to her. I just lifted her in prayer.

I just noticed in your sig line:
"First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day."

Too funny, Julie! I just added it to the humor thread. Lot's of us can relate, ha, ha.
http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=50848 Thx.

Paula
Old 07-21-2017, 04:24 AM   #85
Paula O

Little Pink Houses of Hope is such a great organization! I've shared in this thread a few times about this non profit. Our family was chosen to participate at Oak Island in 2012 during Round #1 in my fight and I have volunteered at retreats in New Smyrna Beach a couple times and this summer my daughter and I volunteered for a week with LPHOH in Key West (during Round #2 of my fight). Such fun! The retreats for the rest of 2017 are full (although on their retreat schedule on their web site it looks like there is a possibility of one in California in December to be announced still--might be worth keeping an eye on that potential opening). Come January 2018 if you are in active treatment, I highly recommend applying. There are many people who apply but who knows, YOU might be picked! Several of us members here have been chosen to participate. It's a free vacation of a life time for folks battling breast cancer that reaches out to the whole family in an incredible way.

I wanted to share that the founder of www.littlepink.org has just been nominated as a CNN Hero.

Here is a brief video clip: http://www.cnn.com/videos/health/201...-coble-mix.cnn
Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 AM   #86
Paula O

https://www.cancercommons.org/

"No matter your cancer type or stage, our expert network can help you tap into the world's collective cancer knowledge. Get your questions answered quickly, clearly, and free of charge.

Cancer is thousands of distinct, molecular diseases, with hundreds of potential treatments. Experts seldom agree on the optimal way to treat any cancer. Cancer Commons levels the playing field by bringing the world’s collective knowledge and resources to each patient and continuously refining that knowledge based on clinical results."

"What we can do for you:

Imagine that you or someone you loved was just diagnosed with cancer. You’re overwhelmed, confused, and terrified all at once. Forced to make life-or-death decisions, under the gun. With no data. You consult Dr. Google and get thousands of search results, most of which are irrelevant to you. You seek second opinions and get conflicting recommendations. Often, the right path is unclear. Occasionally, there are no paths at all.

Cancer Commons is here to help.
We don’t give you a second opinion, we give you the best “second opinion” available.

We alert you to brilliant science, delivered with a great bedside manner.

We don’t list every clinical trial, we highlight the best trials for you.

If there are no good trials, your case will be reviewed by experts.

If you’re out of options, we can connect you directly with cancer researchers who may have promising investigational therapies."

“Cancer Commons is a great first step to help you understand your disease, clarify decisions you have to make, and access the latest treatment information your community-based oncologist may not have.”

“Cancer Commons is one of the few organizations that is actively promoting patients having a strong, educated voice in their treatment.”

“Cancer commons was amazing in providing support and info on possible clinical trial options. There was nothing else like it to help wade through all the info and find relevant trials.”
Old 07-26-2017, 02:54 AM   #87
Paula O

This opportunity is for those who have attended a Little Pink Houses of Hope Retreat and have a child that is a High School Senior:

ANNOUNCEMENT THAT DIRECTLY IMPACTS LITTLE PINK ALUMNI FAMILIES
CHILDREN OF HOPE SCHOLARSHIP

Letter from Little Pink Founder, Jeanine Patten-Coble

Since the day I started Little Pink, I have known that our programming creates a feeling of a greater network of family among participants and volunstars. So many attendees have used the phrase, “We came as strangers, but we are leaving as Family” when describing their Little Pink experience. For years, the organization has been looking at just the right time to take on a big initiative to help support the extended Little Pink family, and the time is now!

Little Pink is happy to announce that we are establishing the Children of Hope Scholarship designed to help ease the burden of college expenses for children of our Little Pink Alumni! The Children of Hope Scholarship will be awarded for the 2018-19 school year and applications will start in January 2018 for graduating high school seniors! Since the scholarship will only be open to a small pool of applicants each year, we are excited about how we will be able to support Little Pink Alumni in a meaningful way. I know that this journey can be financially exhausting and we want you to know that Little Pink always wants to be a part of your life. We want to see your children reach their goals and achieve their dreams so that we can celebrate together!

To be honest, when I was recently notified of the CNN Hero recognition, I was a little leery about the fundraising aspect. Like many of you, the thought of having people donate money to my campaign was just a little strange and didn’t feel right. And then I saw it as a great opportunity to finally start the Children of Hope Scholarship! The CNN Hero recognition allows us a great opportunity to fund the scholarship..."
Old 07-28-2017, 02:58 AM   #88
Paula O

Moving this info from another thread over to here as well:

I've attended the free Faces of Courage women's cancer retreat weekend in Florida multiple times and it is a wonderful opportunity I thought some of you guys might be interested in too. There are lots and lots of fun activities (all optional), pampering, the food is great, and there is so much support and encouragement just talking with other women who are facing various forms of cancer, many of them breast cancer. You do not have to be in active treatment to attend. If you've ever had cancer, even if you have no evidence of disease now, you are welcome to attend.

It would be a great place for us members of Her2Support.org to meet up for an enjoyable weekend with each other along with lots of other new friends that'll be there too. Everything is free EXCEPT all your transportation which is the total responsibility of each person going. It's about a half an hour Uber trip from Tampa International Airport or perhaps folks could share the expense of renting a car together if arriving at the airport around the same time.

***There is absolutely no guarantee of folks from our group being assigned to the same sleeping cabin but I would strongly suggest that each person who applies to attend include a comment that you would very much appreciate being assigned the same cabin that all the ladies noting on their application that they are from www.her2support.org group. Even if not assigned to the same cabin, there is lots of time to connect and do things together.***

Here is the info:

New Campers May NOW Sign up for Women's Cancer Retreat for the Weekend of September 8-10 2017

Please pass the word that registration is now open for NEW Campers to attend our 2017 Women's Cancer Weekend at Rotary's Camp FL (in Brandon, FL a suburb of Tampa, FL). This 'FREE' weekend is open to any women over the age of 21 who has been diagnosed with any type of cancer. This exciting weekend camp starts on Friday evening at 6 pm and ends on Sunday at noon. Campers will enjoy gourmet meals, air conditioned/heated cabins, massages, spa treatments, hair styling, dessert parties, a themed dance and lots of traditional camp activities like canoeing, art and crafts, ice cream party and tie dying.
This camp is a barrier free facility located on two lakes and the grounds are covered in old Florida Oaks. Those of you who have been to camp know the healing power of getting together with other cancer survivors who have all faced the same struggles. Often lifelong friendship have been started with just one weekend. Please pass the word to those who are newly diagnosed and struggling.
NEW Campers may sign up from July 13- July 27.
RETURNING Campers will be able to sign up August 13 starting at 11:59PM.

To register email or call the contact person in charge of the camp
Peggie Sherry
(813) 948-7478

Faces of Courage Foundation
10006 Cross Creek Blvd, 519
Tampa, FL 33647
(813) 948-7478
psherry@facesofcourage.org
Www.FacesofCourage.org
-----------------

Please reply to this thread if you are interested/have applied to attend. There is an excellent chance of getting in: the sooner the better when applying so as soon as you've decided, you'll want to apply right away. As is fair, first dibs go to new folks. I will apply in mid August when applications are open to returning campers if there are still openings left. (There usually are but camp does fill up fast then there is a waiting list). I want to go and I plan to go, but even if it fills up before returning campers like me can apply, I'd be glad for there to be a Her2 Sistah Meetup at Faces of Courage. Perhaps this great spot for a weekend meetup will become an annual event for our members!

Faces of Courage on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PamjMH5Fw9o

Everyone of all races are welcome at this women's camp of course but there is also an additional camp opportunity for what they call, "Women of Color" and Kid's Camp. This is another link on Youtube that has some good footage of camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXgTz7zG0-M

Map from Tampa International Airport to the Camp:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tamp...08!2d27.946691
Old 07-28-2017, 11:25 PM   #89
Paula O

Casting For Recovery Expanding Their Outreach https://castingforrecovery.org/about-casting-for-recovery/:

Inaugural Retreat for Native American Women
In October 2017, the Casting For Recovery AR/OK program will host a pilot retreat exclusively for Native American women who have experienced breast cancer. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among Native American women and access to resources is often limited. Women who reside in Oklahoma, affiliate with a tribe, and have received a breast cancer diagnosis are eligible to apply. Building on the experiences from this first retreat, CfR hopes to expand this program to serve Native American women in other areas of the country.

https://castingforrecovery.org/breas...nsas-oklahoma/

CfR has international program partners in Canada, UK/Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Italy.

Casting for Recovery piloted their first program specifically catered toward women with Stage IV (metastatic) breast cancer in 2016. Recognizing that women with advanced stage disease have specific needs, CfR plans to expand metastatic retreats in the future.

In 2017, we will host 3 retreats for women with Stage IV breast cancer: one in TX, one in GA and on in CO. Women with metastatic BC living in those states may apply to attend the metastatic retreat in their state. Note: Women living in these states who previously attended a CfR retreat may apply again to attend their local metastatic retreat.

If you have Stage IV breast cancer and there isn’t a metastatic-only retreat in your area, you may apply for the regular CfR retreat in your area Our regular retreats are open to women of any age, in any stage of breast cancer.

We hope to expand our metastatic retreats to new areas each year.

Inaugural Retreat Held for Military Women with Breast Cancer

In Spring 2017, Casting for Recovery teamed up with Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing (PHWFF) to hold a retreat exclusively for female disabled veterans and active duty military women who have experienced breast cancer. Thirteen women, representing the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines, came together on April 21-23, 2017 at Harman’s Log Cabins in West Virginia to support one another and experience the peace and serenity of fly fishing.

The participants came from all over the U.S. and ranged in age from 36 to 66. Medical and psychosocial sessions supported women navigating issues related to their military and cancer experience, such as treatment options, side effects, PTSD, Military Sexual Trauma (MST), and depression. Fly fishing served as an outlet for coping with the challenges of these topics, and provided a simple, authentic connection with nature.

Huge thanks to BAE Systems, Harman’s Log Cabins, Fly Fisherman magazine, Yeti, Costa, and Cheeky Fishing for sponsoring this inaugural retreat. This retreat program is the first of its kind in the country, and Casting for Recovery is currently making plans for expanded retreat opportunities for military women in 2018.

“Being with other veteran women that have been/are fighting breast cancer helps me connect to people that understand what I am going through. Through our shared experiences it made it easier for me to ask questions about my condition and not be judged.” – 2017 retreat participant

---------------
Casting for Recovery provides free fly fishing retreats for women with breast cancer
70% of the women who attend Casting for Recovery retreats have never been to a support group
CfR currently offers 55 retreats across the country, serving 800 women each year. To date 8,000+ women have been served
CfR relies on the support of more than 1,600 volunteers nationwide, including medical and psychosocial professionals, fly fishing instructors and alumnae
National sponsors include Cabela’s Outdoor Fund, Stevinson Automotive, Sage, Sisters on the Fly, Simms, Ashford Hospitality Trust and Orvis
Old 07-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #90
Paula O

https://www.breastfriends.org/support-services/patients-and-survivors/during-treatment/hat-project/

Hat Project – Free Hats for Cancer Patients

We understand that humor is key to survival. As they say, “Laughter is the best medicine.” Indeed it is. That is why Breast Friends developed the Hat Project. When one of the co-founders was given a funny hat that said, “No Hair Day,” it changed her world. Where she had been afraid to go out in public out of fear that people would stare, she was suddenly excited to be seen in public. The funny hat allowed people to talk to her, rather than about her.

Portland artist Jo Gefre met Breast Friends and created a hat that truly helps! Pink or blue hats, complete with a funny caption (‘Has Anyone Seen my Hare?’ or ‘Temporarily Bald, Permanently Beautiful’), can help turn the heartbreak of hair loss due to chemo therapy in to an opportunity for laugh therapy.
Tackling a tough situation “head on” often is the key to getting to the other side. When we laugh endorphins actually diminish physical and psychological pain. We believe that you can heal through laughter and that this hat can be a reminder to laugh often and laugh well.
“Thank you so much for the cute hat! I will wear it with pride”
~Miss Bonnie
Breast Friends sends these hats out free to breast, ovarian or gynecological cancer patients only who are in active treatment and experiencing hair loss from chemotherapy (within the United States*).
Old 07-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #91
Paula O

As part of the Sisters Network, a leading voice for African American breast cancer survivors, this program provides FREE services to women facing financial challenges during treatment, radiation and chemotherapy.

EFFECTIVE MARCH 1, 2017, The New Guidelines for the Breast Cancer Assistant Program will provide financial assistance for the following:

Utilities
Medical accessories (prosthesis, medical bras and compression arm sleeves)

Sisters Network® Inc. national Breast Cancer Assistance Program (BCAP) was established in 2006. BCAP provides assistance to breast cancer survivors, currently in treatment and facing financial challenges. Financial assistance is paid directly to third party providers and cover medical accessories, utilities, mammograms and ultrasounds.

http://www.sistersnetworkinc.org/programs.html
Old 07-29-2017, 12:24 AM   #92
Paula O

https://www.jillswish.org/get

GET A WISH

Jill and Bart Conley experienced how earth-shattering a cancer diagnosis can be, and just how much havoc it can wreck on your finances. It doesn’t matter what your circumstance was before cancer, what matters is you need help.

Jill’s Wish offers grants of up to $1500 on a rolling basis to cover non-medical living expenses for those with newly-diagnosed or terminal breast cancer. The grant is for your housing expenses (rent or mortgage), utility bills and any car payments. We pay your bills directly to the housing lender, landlord, utility company and auto loan holder, so you don’t have to worry. It is one more thing you can rest assured is taken care of while you spend time with friends and family and rest and recover.

WHO QUALIFIES

Those applying for a Jill’s Wish grant must satisfy the following requirements:

Be 18 years or older at the time of the application
Received a breast cancer diagnosis within 12 months from the time of application, or have terminal breast cancer
Have not received a grant from Jill’s Wish within the past calendar year from the time of application
Have not received the maximum of two grants in a five-year period from the time of application
Old 10-01-2017, 01:37 AM   #93
Paula O

https://www.projectkoru.org/camp-koru

We use adventure-based experiences such as surfing, outrigger canoeing, standup paddling, skiing, and snowboarding, as channels of healing and renewal to treat the mind, body, and soul. Project Koru's programs aim to help young survivors not just survive, but thrive in all aspects of life with and after cancer.
https://www.projectkoru.org/why-we-exist/

Surf or snow adventure camp

Free to survivors (excludes travel to/from camp)

Open to new or Project Koru alumni survivors

Ages 18-39

3-6 days

APRIL 1-7: MT. HOOD, OREGON

Skiing & Snowboarding | Registration Now Open

APRIL 22-28: MAUI, HAWAII

Surf & Standup Paddling | Registration Opens September 12, 2017

APRIL 30-MAY 6: MAUI, HAWAII

Surf & Standup Paddling | Registration Opens September 12, 2017