HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
CarolineC

Contrast dye

Hi,

I am going to have a bonescan and CT of my chest/abd on Tues. I have had a contrast called Telebrix for most of my CTs and would get some sloughing on the lines of my hands afterwards-like taking an eraser and rubbing the skin off. I was given Gastrografin for my last one and within an hour of drinking the first part the skin peeled off my hands. Yes, gross.

I have been on the merry-go-round of trying to find some Telebrix (no one seems to carry it anymore) without any luck and have talked to a Vancouver pharmacist at the BC Cancer Agency who has said not to drink the Gastrografin and a few heads of radiology departments who said they don't really use the contrast dye anymore for outpatients.

So what do I do? I want to have definitive imaging and in our area we don't have access to an MRI or Petscan. Should I maybe drink half of the solution? I weigh about 140lbs-everyone is given the same amount of solution-maybe it's too much for my system.

Andi, I remember you posting once about having alot of scans and then not drinking all of the solution all the time? I can't find the post though.

You would think that there would be more options for people with issues. I know I am not the only one because at my Herceptin treatment last week the nurses said other people have had issues as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: Contrast dye

Hi Caroline
Here in England I have always had gastrografin for my ct scans. Last time however I had very severe diarrhoea following it! I spoke to the radiologist about it and so next time will have a barium based solution rather than the one with iodine.
Hope this may help .
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Hello Caroline!

I hear you. Here's my experience (since '98 I've accrued a fair amnt). In NY they gave me a clear liquid, to be mixed w/ice tea, which I brought. It gave me serious diarrhea but I was still learning how to be proactive. I knew to go straight home and not to make plans for sev days after.

When I moved to Fla full time, the Imaging Center gave me an almost tasty white foamy pina colada thing to drink. I went home, had the diarrhea and awaited my same day report.

At 3 o'clock I got the call. They needed me to come back. The radiologist couldn't read my scans! Something about "bowel loops". My husband and I raced back to the center. I had to drink the stuff again. Go through the CT scan. To find out -- same -- can't read the scans. Need to drink more.........

At 5 o'clock the nurse came to tell me they are closing. She was very sorry but I had to come back the next day. NO WAY!!!!!!!!

I pleaded. I still remember, it was '99, the nurse's name was Sharon. I said, I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS BEFORE. The clear stuff always worked in NY. She called the hosp, next door, to ask if they had ORAL HYPAQUE. The Imaging Center had none. They did. She walked to the hosp and picked it up. Brought it to me.

I drank again. Did more CT scans!! AND THE RADIOLOGIST COULD READ MY SCANS.

Don't ask how much bathroom drama followed that hideous experience.

I was on the ev 8 wk CT scan schedule then I think. Eventually moved to ev 3 mnths. Yay! Now go annually.

Forgive my long explanation, please. And my digression.

Slowly, I got savvy. I noted that the amnt of ORAL HYPAQUE -- I had to have special ordered by my onc -- that my husband picked up at the hosp the day before my scans -- was always different. The instructions were always to drink the entire bottle.

So, I gathered the courage to drink the smallest amnt I was once given. Still diarrhea galore.

I cut that the next. And kept cutting till I was down to 2 tablespoons!

At the Center, they give me MORE, to mix w/ice tea that I bring. It fills 2 cups!!! I sip. I go to the bathroom. And I pour the rest down the sink.

And the diarrhea stopped. And the radiologists were always able to read my scans!

THEY SHOULD NOT, THOUGH THEY CONSISTENTLY INSIST, THAT ALL THAT THEY GIVE ME "MUST" BE TAKEN! THAT IT WON'T WORK OTHERWISE.

I BEG TO DIFFER.

I also take Prilosec and Benedryl (2) prior to my scans, the night before and with my first home drink of 2 teaspoons and 16 oz of ice tea.

Good luck, Caroline. Glad you remembered me, even if you couldn't find me. HERE I AM. ALWAYS HERE FOR YOU.

Let me know how you fare, please...

With love

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
dchips1

The Ct of abdomen and chest I had done 2 weeks ago no contrast orally, just the injection. I am in arizona .They had me drink 32 oz of water, before 6pm, night before npo x 6 hours and only plain water 32 oz prior to the exam. Way much better than the nasty tasting contrast than it coming out of both ends

Peace and Prayers Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

npo?

I now (finally) after 14 yrs of CTs -- get no contrast, no drink morning of (4 hrs before) and no drink at Imaging Center.

Just injection.

And this is good.

npo??? no .... ???
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote