HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #41
AlaskaAngel

Re: early Christmas present--10 yr overall & bc specific survival results just publis

Thanks for the helpful explanation about resistance, to keep all things in perspective.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #42
Jean

Re: early Christmas present--10 yr overall & bc specific survival results just publis

There are so many more factors to consider.
*did the patient take Hormone therapy.
*Did the patient take birth control pills
*To get an accurate reading you need a high quality image and an experienced tech who can read the image. Experience matters.
*Susan G. Komad sites states 78% of breast cancer are correctly identified
* Susan G. Koman sties that 83% of breast cancers are correctly identified for women over 50 years of age.
* Dense Breasts
*Family History
*Race
*Proliferation lesions without atypical increase risk 1½ to 2 times normal. Proliferation lesions with atypical (i.e., ADH, ALH) increase a woman's risk by 3½ to 5 times.
*Reproductive history
*Radiation therapy to the chest when young:
*Weight
*Alcohol
*Physical activity
*Diet
*Breastfeeding

There are many factors that have to addressed when making decisions. It is extremely complex, not jut one issue.

When the journal was published that Debbie posted I would like to know if they categorized all these factors.

I cannot discount the value of the mammogram exam.
I believe it is a choice of health care and to say not to have it is a strong statement. I think as women we should take into account all the health issues the individual person is facing.

We live in a radioactive world - humans always have. Radiation is part of our natural environment. (not satisfied with that but it is the truth) We are exposed to radiation from materials in the earth itself, from naturally occurring radon in the air, from outer space, and from inside our own bodies (as a result of the food and water we consume). This radiation is measured in units called millirems (mrems).
The average dose per person from all sources is about 620 mrems per year.

Mamorgrams is 42 Mrem. (that number is from the American Nuclear Society.)

Probably the best way to decide when you should begin having mammograms is to discuss your personal risk factors for breast cancer with your physician.
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #43
Debbie L.

Jean, I haven't had time to read the whole study, but it's here: Canadian mammography study . Near as I can tell, the two groups were matched, meaning similar ages, history, etc. One of inclusion criteria was that they not have had a mammogram in the previous 12 months. I understand your point(s) about risk factors, but if both control and experimental groups were matched -- there would be similar risk factors (or not) on both sides, right?

This is not the only study that found no survival benefit to mammography. The ones that have found benefit have found quite a small one -- not nearly as much as what most people believe.

There is a difference between benefit of mammography and known prognostics about stage and survival.

I have read in the press about women who choose not to get mammograms, with their reasoning. But I have not heard any organization, nor anyone on this list (including me) say that women should not get mammograms. It's what we have, but alas -- it's not a very good tool. Its benefit has been hugely oversold, and its harms are not often mentioned. Women should be told the truth about both the possible benefits and the possible harms, and encouraged to make their own decision.

HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #44
Jean

Hi Debbie,
I read the study again.

one over-diagnosed breast cancer for every 424 women who received mammography screening in the trial. Debbie is that considered a high number? I don't know, as I consider that a fair amount for error.

Cancers detected in the mammography arm were significantly smaller than cancers detected in the control arm (1.9 cm v 2.1), and the 25 year survival of women with breast cancer diagnosed in the mammography arm was superior to that of the women with a diagnosis in the control arm (70.6% v 62.8%).

The difference in mortality associated with tumours less than 2 cm compared with larger tumours is substantial.

Women with non-palpable breast cancer detected by mammography experience long term survival that is superior to that of women with palpable breast cancer.

The above was taken from the study.
Early detection does change the stats.
Do you think that a recent study of data will show a marked difference (her2) since early stage are being treated verses prior to the FDA approval? Also better treatments with early detection since 1980/1985?

Pertaining to exposure of radiation: recommendations to have an annual mammogram every year beginning at age 40. While there's no question that radiation exposure increases the risk of breast cancer, the risk is highest when exposure occurs at a relatively young age. For example, young girls treated with radiation for Hodgkin's disease have a very high risk of breast cancer; up to 50 percent develop it later in life. The older you are when you begin to have mammograms, the smaller the chance that the radiation exposure will contribute to breast cancer. If you begin screening when you're over 50, radiation exposure from mammograms is highly unlikely to increase your risk of breast cancer later in life.
At the end of the day each women has to be educated and informed so they can make the very best health choices that they are comfortable with.
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:14 AM   #45
newgg

Coming up on 11 years after my HER2 journey in 2004 !! Goodness, do count me in being thankful for Herceptin. Had to FIGHT to get approval in those early years and the first to insist that HER2 levels be done with all that blood work. We have come a long way !! Blessed for sure with power of faith, strong family support, doc who listens, medical research, and for sure.....this HER2 board. Every opinion, every discussion, every thought, every hug. Every single one of you.....THANKS !!
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote