HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
jebp3

Exclamation Ports defective

Many patients have reported horrific experiences with defective ports and most seem to be the same model by the same manufacturer as mine. We need a new thread to discuss and share the dangers, symptoms and consequences of these defective ports.
jebp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Rich66

Re: Ports defective

Start it off Jeb3. List:

year of placement

brand/model

problem(s).

remedy

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
jebp3

Hi Rich66 and all: After 29 days of chemo over 4 years of fighting leukemia, my burned out veins became too painful so I had a port implanted Jan. 12, 2011. It is a new Bard Power Port, Lot REUJ0764, REF 1808000, serial # 3513, made by Bard Access Systems. It has been horrible. It never worked. It is defective in every way imaginable. The infusion techs refused to try to access it. It could not be flushed-could not get blood return but then when the needle was removed, it literally sprayed blood & bleeding was hard to stop resulting in massive bruising and swelling. The catheter was apparently defective since it kinked in a gentle curve and was 100% blocked per the x-ray. Bard refuses to discuss it. So today, June 8, 2011, I had it removed. The surgeon who removed it is not the one who implanted it. The surgeon who implanted it would not return my calls after I said it is defective. Seems he is real cozy with Bard. So I fired him! The surgeon who removed it said there is a hole in the catheter!!! I then made photos of the removed port showing app. 1/4 inch long lateral opening in the catheter. I asked the surgeon if any of the many large IV bags of chemicals could be floating around in my chest cavity. He replied: "you need to get an opinion on that". Real scary! I don’t know yet what the cost for removal will be or the medical consequences that large hole. If you’re having problems with your port, please file an FDA complaint online(Form 3500) as I did to prevent others having this horrific experience. Please share your experiences here also. LOL. Jim (jebp3)
Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
NanaJoni

My port story: my surgeon put in a regular (not "power) Bard port in May 2010. It stopped working in July 2010. Radiology dept surgeon at hospital did a dye-test and decided to replace it with a Bard PowerPort. Either the port was defective or the placement was botched but it never worked once. I would not let that dr. touch me again so a different dr. put in another Bard Powerport on the other side of my chest (where my tumors had been). It worked fine until I no longer needed it and it was removed about 3 weeks ago. After the 2nd port was removed and the 3rd port installed I threw 3 pulmonary emboli and was hospitalized for over a week. Since I had all the pain on the left side I attributed it to the removal of the second port but apparently that was where the blood clots originated before migrating to my lungs. I don't know the model number of the ports I had but now am wondering if #2 was defective instaed of a surgeon's error???
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
jebp3

Hi Nanajoni: wow you are brave. Congrats -you've been thru lots. My dilema is what to do if/when I need more chemo. I could never accept another anything made by Bard. I've read too many blogged horror stories much worse than mine. Barb is a huge worldwide corp. too big to care or scare or talk to victims. My other dilema is what to do about all those IV chemicals probably floating around in my chest. Now that keeps me wake at nights unlike anything else ever! I updated my previous post June 8. LOL Jim
Old 06-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
NanaJoni

Actually, I probably have dealt with much less than many of the folks who are battling and have battled the "beast" that is cancer. It's truly a rollercoaster ride and the last year was filled with many blessings among the challenges. As for your concerns about future chemo and the past treatments - you do need to get an opinion (or opinionS) from your onc or other doctors. And keep really good records along with the pictures. I have gotten all the reports from every procedure, path reports, blood tests, etc. and keep them in an accordian folder. There were times going from one doctor to another that I was the only one who had all the information that was needed. There is a real chance you could have complications from this so keep in mind that medical malpractice suits are limited by a one year statute of limitations - so stay on top on any problems you may have. And on top of that, try not to stress too much. (lol) We do what we can one day at a time. Just stay educated and watchful.
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote