HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
yanyan

Am i the only one going crazy about brain mets?

There seem to be quite a few discussion and concerns on brain mets recently. I haven't been feeling at ease and finally called to schedule a brain MRI. I was not sleeping well and the brain mets scare has been all over me. I hate to do it 3 days before my vacation.. What if, what if ... But figured it is in my best interest and i should do it early than later.Two months ago my tumor markers were totally normal CEA and CA27.29 although i was having a local recurrence to skin. PET scan was clear but i have never had a brain MRI.

Thanks to Paul and other members that have brought up this issue to everyone's alert. I thought Tykerb would help to prevent/control brain mets. Some articles have suggested pre-WBR but it seems like there are more cons than pros. The number of people that have brain mets are not that many. It seems like brain mets are still very treatable if detected early. Unfortunately it does not seem a common practice for doctors to order a brain scan unless there are worrisom syptoms. But we might miss the early diagnosis if we wait till then. So the best we can do i guess is being proactive and early detection.

Should stage v survivors be on both herceptin and tykerb before it goes to the brain?
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Rolepaul

Re: Am i the only one going crazy about brain mets?

Go on vacation and get the MRI afterwards. Unless you have headaches, numbness, or other obvious signs, the brain mets are fine for you to go for even three months. But get one when you come back. We took vacation to New York City and up to the mountains in October when the initial signs were there in September, but we did not know it. We were care free and had a good time. If you have brain met symptoms, then do it before the vacation. Either way, I hope that there is no problem. If there is, please sent me a private message.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote