HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Sandra in GA

cataracts

I just found out Wed. that my very small cataracts have been growing during my treatments and now I will have to have surgery as soon as I finish the Tykerb and Herceptin. (That will be Nov. 18th) Have any of you had these develop or worsen during treatment? Do you know what has caused this - the chemo or the Decodron? Also, what outcomes have you had? I will appreciate any input you have.

Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
ElaineM

Wink Re: cataracts

I don't know if Herceptin or Tykerb can cause vision problems, but if you look up the side effects of Decodron
you may find vision problems listed as a possible side effect. Vision problems may be a possible side effect of the Taxanes (Taxol, Taxotere, and Abraxane).
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Pam P

Re: cataracts

Sandra - I have had cataract surgery in both eyes. I can't remember for sure, but I think I had a very small cataract before I was dx with bc, but remember the eye dr saying it would be many years before it would be a problem for me. In 2004 one eye had a large cataract & I had the surgery on that. At that time I was told there was one in the other eye too, but not yet bad enough to do surgery. A year later I had cataract surgery on that one. For me both surgeries were very easy with immediate great results. I could see much better than ever before. I had been very near sighted & wore glasses all the time. Now my vision isn't 20/20, but good enough that I don't need to wear glasses most of the time. I can pass the drivers eye exam without glasses, but I do usually wear glasses when driving just so I can have the best vision for reading signs etc. I also bring glasses if I go to a play, movie, etc. My insurance covered the surgeries and I had great results. So for me it was really a blessing in disguise with the outcome i've had.

Elaine mentioned vision problems due to taxanes. I am currently on taxol & I feel my vision is not as sharp as it was. Some of the chemos do affect vision - makes it blurry for me. For me when I've not been on taxol the vision goes back to being good. So thankfully it's a temporary side effect for me. But this is unrelated to the development of cataracts which I also understand is excelerated by chemo drugs.
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Montana

I developed cataracts in both eyes sometime during my treatment.
Nottingham Grade 7/9
ER 91% PR 62%; Her2 3.6 by ICH; KI-67 35%

Nov 2004 Lumpectomy; SNB failed so had
full axillary clearance;
Dec 2004 2nd lumpy for clean DCIS margins.

Jan/Feb 2005 4 A/C dose dense;
33 rads finished 6/2005;
Began 5 years Arimidex in 6/2005
No Herceptin
9/2007 Quit Arimidex due to severe side effects.
NED
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Sandra in GA

Elaine, Pam, and Montana,
Thank you for replying. It helps to get some feedback from those who have been there. I have been looking up my chemo drugs; cytoxan, adriamycin, and taxol and have not found cateracts in the listed side effects. However, I thought that I remembered that they can cause them from some source. Decadron does list them and I had that IV with my premed cocktail over about a five month period when I was getting the A/C and Taxol. Since I finished the 12 weeks of Taxol plus the Herceptin and Tykerb, I have not had any more. I did not take any during my radiation either. Well, from what I understand this surgery is not bad and the recovery time is very quick. I am just ready to get finished with it.

Take care, and thanks again.

Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Old 09-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
sarah

my happened with Taxol. They don't tell you these things beforehand, also such as gaining lots of weight!
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Carol.hope

Sandra,
I, too got cataracts from treatment. I understand that steroids (such as Decadron) can promote these. Perhaps I'd had the beginnings of cataracts for years, because after the cataract surgery, I was amazed at how bright and beautiful the world looked! Definitely a gift from cancer - better vision!

I asked not to be given Versed - the drug that "relaxes" you, but makes you very groggy afterwards, and keeps you from remembering the experience. That was great. It was very interesting, I remember it, work up quickly, and in two days had a bright world to look at!

I've had several surgeries without Versed, and I recommend it. You have to tell them ahead of time, as it's Standard Operating Procedure in many places.

Here's to light!

- Carol

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Sandra in GA

Carol,
Did they give you something else to relax you? I do want to know what goes on. I guess I am just inquisitive. The dr told me he would do one then the other in two weeks. Is this how yours was done? I would love to have them both done at the same time because most people I have talked to have no real problems following the surgery. That way I can easily squeeze that in before Christmas and then be ready in Jan to proceed with reconstruction surgery.
Sandra
Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
Carol.hope

Sandra, I chose no other "relaxant" for those surgeries and for several others. I did receive a shot of a local anaesthetic in the eye area. You do have to have the ability to remain still, which I do. There was no pain. I used slow breathing and remembering that these people are all experienced experts, here to help me.

I had my cataract surgeries a week apart. I had a patch over the eye for 2 days. That left me with one eye to see out of, which was nice!

Good luck! - Carol

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
Sandra in GA

Carol,
I like your plan. I think I will suggest it to my doctor. I too use slow breathing when undergoing stressful procedures. Thank you so much for sharing with me.
Sandra
Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
Rich66

My mom just got back from opthamologist. Noted cataracts as cause of hampered vision. He had to step out and research whether Herceptin or Navelbine could be influencing vision. We didn't mention the steroid premeds. Sounds like that could be adding in here.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Sandra in GA

Rich,
As you can see from my signature, I have had Herceptin, cytoxin, adromycin, Taxol and Tykerb. I have not had Navelbine. I will be finished with everything in six weeks! (YEAH)

The Decodron was given when I had A/C and then the first 12 weeks of Herceptin Tykerb plus Taxol. That ended up being about five months on IV steroids; eight weeks every two weeks, then every week for 12 more. My doctor down at Mayo in Jacksonville said he sees this often in chemo patients. I tend to believe that the steroid was the more probable cause.

I do have glasses now to help me until I can have the surgery. I have to complete that Tykerb before my onc will release me to have surgery. They told me if I was only taking Herceptin they could go ahead with the surgery. They are afraid that the Tykerb will interfer with the healing process.

The first glasses did not work when I got them three weeks after the exam. (I just waited until my next app for Hercetpin to pick them up.) They had to change the prescription because there had been that much change to my eyes in that short time. Now I have glasses that have given me much better distance vision for now. My eye doctor would have preferred doing the surgery quicker and not prescribing glasses because of the rapid changes I am having but when told about the Tykerb completely understood my situation.

I am hoping to schedule the surgery as soon as possible following completion of the Tykerb. It has a very short half life (24 hours), so I won't have to wait for it to get out of my system. I am just looking forward to better vision again.
Sandra
Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #13
Rich66

The opthamologist said surgery wasn't advisable during chemo since it could interfere with the healing process. If this is true, I wonder if its only an issue with chemos that attack rapidly dividing cells as opposed to antibody based "chemo" like Herceptin. My mom may aslo need gall bladder surgery at some point. Wonder how that would go.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
Sandra in GA

Actually the oncologist was the one who said that surgery is not recommended while I am taking the Tykerb. It is also a targeted antibody like Herceptin but there are more side effects. I have chronic diarrhea and also have a problem with my fingers and toes getting inflamed where the skin meets the nail. They will bleed if I bump them and I have had to see a poditirst for my toes and have had to take antibiotics. So, it makes sense to me that the healing process might be impeded like my onc suggested. Tykerb is also very new and they don't know about all the side effects. I am sure your mom's doctor will advise her about Navelbine and surgery. It may be that it will be no problem.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
ElaineM

Wink Re: cataracts

I had cataract surgery, cancer surgery and emergency hip surgery during my treatments without problems. I had the surgeries at the beginning of the week and my treatments at the end of the week. I had my treatment 36 hours after my hip surgery. Everyone's body is different, so it is better to discuss these things with the surgeon and oncologist before the surgery. One thing we should remember is to try to stop drugs, supplements and food that may thin the blood one week before the surgery if we can.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #16
Sandra in GA

I just wanted to post again on this thread to let everyone know that I have now had the cataract surgery. They did the first one on Dec. 8th, three weeks after my last Tykerb (lapatinib). My surgeon likes to wait two weeks between eyes, so with Christmas in there, I had the second on Drc. 29th, a week ago yesterday. I must say, this is the best that has ever happened to my vision. For the first time, I see 20/20 and 20/25 and they expect the second eye to clear on up to 20/20.
The surgery was only mildly uncomfortable and the recovery has gone smoothly. This has turned into "silver lining" of the bc cloud!
I hope everyone who developes this problem has the same results I have experienced!!