HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
KathyH

Smile a hopeful story

My name is Kathy and I just found you all. I would love to share a little of my story with the hope that it is encouraging to someone else. I was diagnosed in Aug 05 at age 39 with stage IIIc Her2+ er/pr - occult breast cancer on the right. (occult imples no longer existent or undetectable primary, the biopsy was of an axillary lymph node) An MRI did not find the primary but did find a second cancer on the left, probably stage I her2-, er/pr+. My husband is a general surgeon and did his residency in the city in which we live. Even though it is a metro area of about 1 million, it seems that everyone in the medical community knew the details of my case. I began with 12 weeks of AC followed by a PET scan. The PET scan showed complete clinical remission. Then I had 12 weeks of Taxol and Herceptin. After all this I had a double mastectomy, sentinel node biopsy on the left, and axillary node dissection (21 nodes) on the right in Feb 06. The surgery revealed complete pathologic remission. The doctors at cancer conference (the subject of which was me weekly for 6 months) felt that my results were miraculous. I had 6 weeks of radiation to the chest wall and supraclavicular area and will be on Herceptin at least until Nov 06. I am so grateful for God's mercies that are new every morning. My boys were 6, 8, and 11 when I was diagnosed. I have hope that I will see my grandchildren.

Love and prayers to you all, Kathy
KathyH is offline   Reply With Quote