HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
R.B.

Osteonecrosis Fosemax possbile class action re bone loss ??

I have no idea what this is about or whether there is justification or not, who the lawyers are, if there are other etc.

Fosamax, Zometa is simply a subject on which I have no knowledge. I make absolutely no comment.

I simply post it for information in case others can fill in the gaps, raise warning flags, or can be put to rest as unwarranted.

I found it by accident whilst looking up information on fats to respond to another post on ostenecrosis.

RB

http://www.aredialawsuit.com/jawoste...otherapy-for-p
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
sassy

This basically looks like an ad to me. But I have no legal experience.
________
Get i inhale iolite vaporizer review

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 09:26 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
Chelee

I know I ran across this a while ago too. These lawsuits seem to be going after all the drugs in this classification. Fosamax, Actonel, Aredia, & Zometa. Due to that one major side affect which is *jaw osteonecrosis*. I do believe most of our onc have mentioned this to us. It does seem like they are going after Fosamax the most? But if interested just type in google anyone one of these drugs and mention class action lawsuit and you will get hit with pages to read on this.

I'm not on any of these drugs yet as my onc has a real problem with the side affects. She said their nasty. Like with all drugs...they all have possible side affects to consider before starting on any one of them. I know it sure doesn't make it easy to figure out what one should do. I don't think the cases of this jaw problem is the high? There is a risk, but I *think* its rather low? Once DX with bc...so many things to take into consideration before taking another drug. This just isn't easy. Its always something. There are many good benefits to these drugs...so whats one to do?

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Kaye

If I am not mistaken I believe the PDR lists side effects. As awful as necrosis may be, if it were a choice between helping keep the cancer control and having a longer survival time vs the risk of osteonecrosis, I would opt for the former.
I would hate to see companies stop manufacturing medications such as Zometa because of 2ndary side effects. I know that ostnecrosis can be nasty, but given the choice, I would rather have prolonged life. I guess the pharmaceutical companies and 'insurers' (including govt/medicare providers) look at the overall cost-effectiveness rather than the benefits. What if its positive effects outweighed the negatives, but it became no longer cost-effective if one had to treat the 'occasional' osteonecrosis along with the impact of increased longevity/survival on our economy. Just some food for thought...
Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote