HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2008, 06:55 AM   #21
Diana1993

I was on herceptin for almost two years and the only pre med I received was Tylenol. Like Caya, I had a drip of 60 minutes. Se were and are drippy eyes and nose. I have learned to live with it. I wish you all the success with this round.
Hugs,
Diana.
Diana1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #22
hutchibk

Sheila- that's how it affects me when they drip it, I don't give a S**t about anything, which was kinda nice, but still just debilitating enough that it started to bother me. For one thing, I couldn't drive myself home from treatment, which pissed me off, so we tried the pill form and it was the perfect dose...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #23
Sheila

Brenda
I hate the fact that i can't drive home too....so I always have to have someone go with....they won't let me take the oral....I am taking it for the Taxol....mabe thats why....they want the big dose right before infusion...I know i must be drooling on myself after they give it to me !!!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #24
dlaxague

Control

Like Brenda, I negotiated the bendadryl during Taxol. First, I refused 50mg outright, as I knew how I hated that slow-mo feeling, plus I get migraines when benadryl wears off (lots of experience with benadryl when I was night nurse trying to sleep during the day). The first time they agreed to lower it to 25mg, but it was IV, not a pill. WAY too much sedation to suit me. I wanted to be able to drive (70 miles one-way for treatment - silly to make someone else come and waste a day).

The last three were 12.5 IV, at my insistence. I think my chemo nurse thought I was nuts but she humored me. I tried for none but she said since it was part of a clinical trial protocol she just couldn't delete it altogether.

I think I enjoyed wresting some smidgeon of control for myself as much as I enjoyed not being semi-conscious, as I would have been on 50mg.

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #25
Sheila

Debbie
I have had so much Benedryl in the last 16 mos of Taxol that now when I take the Tylenol or Advil PM, it doesn't even phase me....used to be that 25mg of Benedryl PO would knock me out when I worked nights (also as a nurse)and had a hard time sleeping during the day.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #26
Unregistered

Lightbulb My thoughts exactly

I'm so glad these posts were made. I've been hating the Benedryl I've been getting with my weekly Herceptin tx. I get it on Fridays and I'm lethargic for the whole weekend...I've got a 5 year old boy, I need some energy for my weekends! I called my oncologist's nurse this week and asked if we could do it without benedryl this week. When I get there today I'll be demanding it, especially now that I've read these other accounts just like mine.

That's why this group is so valuable. Patients need to communicate with each other and research their own treatments, because there are things we can learn that our doctors and nurses won't tell us...or don't even have any idea about. They can learn from us as much as we learn from them. I've been in chemo and herceptin treatment for about 9 weeks now, and I'm learning how to speak up on any little thing I think or feel, because it could be a not so little thing, and there is probably something that can be done. You don't know til you ask.

Thank you all
Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #27
freyja

Sorry I wasn't logged in when I responded...it's me "freyja"
freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #28
caya

Freyja,

You are so right about this invaluable group, sharing information and advice- I started to get the Herceptin drip over 60 minutes instead of 30 because someone mentioned that issue here. Otherwise I doubt I ever would have known about that.

Lots of luck to you.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #29
Unregistered

Herceptin reaction here

I can say that I had a reaction to Herceptin. I had Herceptin from the start w/Chemo and all the pre-meds, including Benedryl with no reactions. Following that, I had Herceptin alone for a few months with no reactions. Then on my second to last treatment w/just Herceptin, I experienced a tightness in my chest, coughing and shakes. All within minutes!
The drip was stopped immediately and Benedryl was administered and continued with Herceptin w/no further reactions.

Sorry, I can't identify myself, I registered quite awhile back and forgot my password, and for some reason the site won't forward it to me because they doesn't recognize my e-mail address. ???
Old 10-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #30
madubois63

I've always thought myself to be a little weird - I LOVE Benadryl. When in the hospital, I always make sure I have a Benadryl push ordered as part of my med's list. I get a great high from it and then fall asleep. It works better for me than any sleeping pill, especially when they wake you up in the middle of the night for vitals. One push, and I am back to sleep with a smile on my face. I currently receive a benadryl drip prior to getting Herceptin but have taken Herceptin without any premeds before. I get a little silly, tell stupid jokes and then fall asleep. I always carry Benadryl pills on my person - just in case. The pills don't make me tired or silly.

Anyway, several weeks ago I landed in the ER after receiving Herceptin with Benadryl. I started breathing very heavy and felt like I was having a heart attack. They did every test under the sun and didn't find anything wrong with me. Herceptin??? Benadryl?? Who knows....
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #31
StillHere

Juanita, you are the first person I have come across that has the jerky leg syndrome thingy. I can take a lot of Benadryl during the day, but cannot take after supper. If I do, I can't keep my legs still enough to sleep. Sometimes I forget to check cold medicines to see if they include bendaryl or generic form. If I take them just before bed I am up for hours tossing and turning. I know when I worked in CICU, there were some people who got very restless from Valium. I figure this is somewhat the same for me. Most people get drowsy/sleepy from Benadryl. I am tired, but very restless. Just nice to know there is someone else out there with the same symptoms. Peace Karen
05/05 Cytoxan & Adriamycin every 3wk x4
08/05 Taxol every 2wk x 4, Herceptin every wk x1yr
10/05 Bilat Mast - my Choice
10/05 3/19 lymph nodes Pos, Stage IIIa
11/05 Rad x 37 Rx, R Brst & Axcilla
02/06 Herceptin stopped (L vent HF 40)
03/06 Started & Stoped Arimidex after 2 mos.-QOL side effects
05/06 Started Tamoxafin
06/06 Bilat Free Flap Reconstruction
12/06 Cardiomyopathy reversed-HF normal
01/07 Bilat Saline Implants
07/07 CA 27-29 steadily rising from 28 in 12/06 to 46 in 7/07
07/07 PET Scan NED, but inflamation at prev surg site.
09/07 Started Femara
10/07 CA 27-29 down to 39
06/08 CA 27-29 down to 32
09/08 Lg joint pain & QOL side effects from Femara, will live w/ to keep CA markers within normal range.
StillHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #32
juanita

i can't even take tylenol pm because it keeps me up. and i've learned the hard way, like you, to read labels.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #33
hutchibk

If I take too much Benadryl, I get restless legs. It also used to happen to me when I took too much of another allergy med, I think it was an Eckerd store brand of cold/allergy combo years ago, and for the longest time we couldn't figure out what was causing it. Then I kept a log and it happened only during allergy season when I took that particular otc med... the doctor couldn't explain it as it didn't show up in potential side effects of any of the ingredients on the box... but then I also experienced it on the doses of Benadryl that hit my blood stream too fast. It doesn't happen on the pill, but it does with the drip or push...

I also got horrible RLS from the anti-depressant Effexor.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote