HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Karen Wheel

Her-2 and hormone therapy?

I am looking for feedback, or statistics from other “survivors” that are Her-2 positive that have done – Chemo, Herceptin and radiation …. And wondering how many of them have not developed cancer – without doing hormone therapy.

I am not convinced that hormone therapy will reduce my chances (as Her-2 positive) of getting cancer again. However, I have found it hard to find any hard statistics that are based on just HER-2 positive cancer and how it reacts to hormone therapy.

I keep reading this scary quote in so many of the clinical papers that says the “5 year survival rate”… ugh! I want to live more than 5 years!!! J Seems like the drug companies like to base everything on a 5 year life – and that is not acceptable – and I want to have quality of life --- not a life based around the hospital (like the last 6 months of my life!) and not taking more drugs….

Anyone have any feedback on this one? Thank you so much in advance!!!
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Variations on a theme

Hi Karen,

It isn't the norm now, but in 2002 I did lumpectomy, CAFx6, rads, no trastuzumab, and 1 3/4 years of tamoxifen. I was offered Arimidex for 5 years and declined the Arimidex. I'm still in remission.

AlaskaAngel, 1.6 cm IDC (T1c), some DCIS, ER+, PR+, HER2+++
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
michka

This is an interesting question. My first Onc did not want me on hormone therapy. So I asked Dr Burstein in Dana Farber. He answered that in his opinion, I should have it.
I had Arimidex and then Aromasin for 1,5 years with a lot of very bad side effects. I had to stop ( horrible joint pain, severe neuropathy and memory problems). I switched to Faslodex. These side effects almost disappeared. I have very bad mood swings, especially just after the monthly injection, throat pain, mild back pain, fatigue and a little neuropathy. I do not like taking it because I see my body getting old real fast. I want to be on the safe side so I continue anyway but in fact, it is not clear to me if this therapy works for HER2.
I do not know if there is any new information about this. Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms

Last edited by michka; 07-16-2009 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: took out "changes onc" was confusing
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Karen Wheel

Her-2 and Hormone therapy

I did a bunch of research today ... actually, and did find a lot of articles that say that being Her-2 + seems to make us resistant to hormone therapy. So.... guess that answered my question. There were a few articles that admitted there was still a debate going on it, however the first 8-10 I read - all but one said that they found that Her-2 didn't respond well to Hormone therapy. Enough for me to say no to it.... thank you for your responses. Hope this helps us all!
Oh, I searched plain old Google - for
"Her2neu and Hormone therapy"

Karen
Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Debbie L.

things to consider

Karen, this is of course your decision. And as you say, there is not enough evidence to have crystal-clear answers.

On the other hand, there is not enough evidence to make absolute statements like you did either -- that all HER2+ cancer is resistant to endocrine therapy. It is probably more resistant than HER2- cancers - yes. But that does not mean that endocrine therapy is ineffective for all HER2+ cancers, it only means that it's less effective. ( HER2- cancers can be resistant, or can develop resistance also, btw). For HER2+ cancers, especially when Herceptin in used, endocrine therapy may be very effective, as Herceptin may overcome resistance.

I have not heard of anyone with an ERPR+ HER2+ (triple positive) cancer pathology being told that endocrine therapy was of no use to them. Have others been told this?

Do you know the values of your ERPR? Again, it's not black and white - that continuum from negative to highly positive holds some clues as to probable response to endocrine therapy. Although again - no nice, firm, absolute answers, yet.

My suggestion, if your cancer has a reasonable degree of ERPR positivity, would be to try the endocrine therapy that is recommended to you and see how you tolerate it. Some women have no side effects or easily-tolerated ones. If you're miserable, it's not as if you can't get off the train.

Five year survival. It's not as if that's a magic number, or enough to aspire to - I agree. But I think that it's more that if they follow the studies out longer than that, much of the information is a moot point by the time it becomes available because in most cases, treatment has moved on and what they're reporting on is old news, and perhaps no-longer used anyway.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Monica

Hi,
I tried endocrine therapy a few times, but after much consideration decided to get off of it. It has been over 5 years and I'm NED. Such decisions are very difficult. If tamoxifen had not resulted in unwanted problems, I would have stayed on it. But I am doing well.
Best,
Monica

Dx Nov 2003 HER2+++, ER+, PR+
1.7 cm. left breast, Grade 3, Two nodes out of six, stage IIA
Mastectomy right side
Lumpectomy left side
4 A/C, 4 Taxol plus 49 weeks herceptin
Radiation on left side
No tamoxifen or other hormonal drugs
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Kathy T

I was on hormone tx. with Herceptin for 5 years as a stage IV--just in the last year did we drop the hormone blockers and add chemo--so it proved effective for me.
Kathy T
Kathy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Rich66

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38998
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
CLTann

I am at 4 years NED after mastectomy. The only defense is Femara against recurrence. I kept hoping this is the effective medication. Of course, many women don't have any treatment, no chemo, no radiation and no med and surgical removal of lesion is the only weapon. These are all stage 1 patients.

Ann

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
Karen Wheel

thank you -

Thank you for the feedback -

On my hormone %'s -
Est - 80%
Pro- 10%

Don't know what that means overall ... as my doctors here are still trying to explain in Italian and they stop with the argument that "I must" .... that I must trust them and I must do this therapy because they say. Because everyone does.

But, I'm still not sure if I want to subject my body to yet another drug .... I understand some people have little side effects, however it is the overall exposure to the drugs that I am against.

Thank you though - and if you, or anyone has feedback on the 80/10% - let me know ---

Karen
Old 07-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #11
Karen Wheel

response to Debbie

One more thing ...

my Her-2 came back as 3+ ... so top of the scale....

this might make a difference too in how strong it is and leads me to think it might be more resistant to the hormone therapy.

K
Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #12
Becky

I am Her2 (3+) ER was 50% and PR negative. I will be a 5 yr survivor in early September. I started with Tamoxifen for a few months but got my ovaries removed to take Arimidex which I have been on almost 4 yrs. I am doing well

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
Hopeful

Karen,

What endocrine therapy are they prescribing for you? Are you pre or post-menopause?

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
Bold

Hello just wanted to chime in. I have only 2% ER+. My original onc wanted me on Als I went for a secound oppinion and was told it was not nessasary. I should exercise and drop some weight and that would be very effective. I have chossen to do the latter. It is a tough desision because you apsolutly want to do the right thing. I think I am. I hope I am. The new donc said the herceptin is the key. As it coats the cancer cells and does not let them absorb anything. Thenit is viewed as a forign abject and discarded as waste. I like the sound of that. She also pointed out in the New Englan Journal Of Medician that we have a 91.7 chance of total cure if caught early and treated with chemo rads and herceptin. I liked the sound of that!!!!!!! I googled the artical and read it for myself.
Bold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
bejuce

Bold,

Can you please post a link to the article that talks about the 91.7% stat? I'm also 2% ER+ and HER2+ (3+).

Thanks!

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #16
DianneS

I posted about this issue on another thread about Herceptin side effects - sorry.

I live in Canada and ER/PR is rated either +1, +2 or +3, 1 being weak and 3 strong. I am ER+1 (weakly positive) and PR-, and her2 pos +++.

My onc started me on Arimidex aromatase inhibitor in June. I finished the taxotere/carboplatin in March and have had no other chemo except 5.5 rounds of that, plus Herceptin from the beginning along with the TC, and continue Herceptin until Oct.

I didn't really get good answers as to why I should be on the AI Arimidex. She just said 'it'd be a shame after having done so much' blah blah blah. I argued with her and reluctantly began taking it the first of July. I began to notice nausea that would come in waves, and loss of appetite. Since it began about the same time as when I started Arimidex I blame it on that. I was expecting bone/muscle pain, if anything, not nausea. I stopped the Arimidex and have not taken any since Saturday a.m. Nausea is better!

I would like to read more about taking AI's if one is HER2 pos+++ and weakly ER+. So far I am not convinced that it works that well for my diagnosis.

Karen, I feel like you do....lots of frustration and fear about this 5 year survival stuff. One of the first things my oncologist said to me regarding NOT doing the chemo route was 'I think you'll be sorry you didn't in about 5 years'. Yeah? Will I be sorry anyway? I find it hard to get thru the day sometimes, the sorrow of it all overwhelms me......and I am angry that this had to happen to me! If Herceptin is so wonderful, why only a 5 yr survival rate? Where are the 10 years out from her2 positive women?
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #17
DianneS

Stats

Bold,

I'd like to read those stats, too! 91% eh.....? Have not heard that before.

(Tapping foot, waiting.........)
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!

Last edited by DianneS; 07-20-2009 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: name
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #18
tricia keegan

I'm highly triple pos (3+) and have been taking arimidex since my ooph two years ago. I haven't heard this before and as I just celebrated four years out I've been thanking arimidex for that!
I still feel I prefer to take it than not, there's just too much not unknown on her2 for me to not do all I can to avoid a recurrance.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #19
Hopeful

I was reading an article by Edith Perez on line yesterday (which, of course I now cannot find when I need it) but it gave the most precise breakdown I have seen for what AI's can do to help prognosis. The article addressed the different drugs individually. What was surprising to me was the stat for the benefit of Femara on recurrence risk: 60% overall relative reduction, but 14% relative reduction for distant recurrence. The main benefit of these drugs is preventing local recurrence or a new cancer from starting. While there is some protection against mets, it is nowhere near as strong. As I am considering stopping AI treatment early, this is an important consideration for me. I will continue to noodle around on line and will post a link to the article if I can find it again.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #20
Bold

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/344/11/783

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back. I have my computer getting de -wormed and I am at the mercy of my DH to borrow. I belive this is the article. I had to start over finding it so I am not 100% sure. I had it bookmarked on my computer.

2% is so nominal. I think that I have made the right choice. I think that sometimes we forget what a great drug herceptin is. It works very well to cure early stage cancers. Not to mention how it can put stage 4 into remmision for years.
Bold is offline   Reply With Quote