HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
RhondaH

Question OK...was I rude when I said this?

I was just on my way to the restroom when I ran into a fellow coworker who was recently dx w/ Stage 1, ER+, PR+, HER2- bc and is currently going through radiation. She has only had 7 and was saying that it was too much to go get treatment every day and wanted to quit (is floored that part of her lung may be getting hit too and doesn't know why they are doing this). I tried explaining to her why and told her that MY treatment lasted 1 1/2 years and in "my" opinion, radiation was a cake walk (I know it's not like this for everyone, but it was for me). She said goodbye and stormed out. OK, was I rude? Thank you.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Alice

Ok, so you were a little rude. I also think the radiation was a walk in the park compared to the rest. She may have been looking for some sympathy and wasn't expecting your comment. If you feel as though it would help you could suggest that you are only concerned about her health and the importance of finishing treatment. A support group I go to occaisionally had a lady one night that felt as though she couldn't relate to the others because she didn't have to go through chemo. After hearing what others had to go through she was glad to have only surgery and rads. Maybe your co-worker is like this lady?
Still I wouldn't fret over it much.
Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
naturaleigh

I do know that everyone is different. Radiation was hard for me and I had the same concerns as she did. I did quit for awhile for 2 reasons, 1) because of the heart issue and 2) because I was getting really burned despite the cream they gave me. I do know that for me, if I had to do it all over again, I would not have done radiation.

This is a stressful for everyone involved, especially for the newly diagnosed. It is also very stressful because I know most of us were very healthty upon diagnois, so it is a big blow when we are told we have cancer and we do everything we can to stay healthy. That is where radiation with the heart issue hit me, because I never had heart issues and I did not want to start now, especially from radiation. What I would tell her is to listen to instincts about radiation. From the get go I was very apprehensive about radiation and I am still beating myself up for going through the whole 36 rounds.

So no, I don't think you were rude, you were just trying to help. It takes awhile to get your head wrapped around the fact that this is actually happening, after it sinks in, I bet she will thank you for trying to help.

er, pr-, Her2+++
Stage 2b, grade 3
negative nodes
4 rounds AC
3 months of weekly taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
Finish Herceptin May 2007
35 rounds of Radiation
Reconstruction completed Dec 2007
Implant replaced due to infection Mar 2008
4 Years NED!!!
naturaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Sherryg683

Yes, a little. I think a pep talk would have been better. Encourage her that she can get through it. Physically radiation wasn't that hard for me but it took it's emotional toll. It was very hard for me to be there every day. Always remember people respond to treatments differently...sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
Colleens_Husband

Rhonda:

If you were a guy, then not only would you be polite, but you would have the maximum chops on her. You told her that you made it through worse and she can too. In a guy way, you did your best to be encouraging and supportive. If she were a guy, after she got over being mad she would thank you for helping her get over herself and then you would go do some manly activity like shooting a defenseless animal, yanking a defenseless fish out of the water, or driving over defenseless squirrels with a four-wheeled drive vehicle and you would be bonded forever because she knew you are a straight-shooter who would be willing to risk friendship to help her out.

If you were a guy.

But there are different rules for women and even though you didn't mean to put her down, she realizes that you had it worse than she did and that she really ought to cowgirl up. So now what do you do? Perhaps you may wish to consider phoning her up, admitting that you may have inadvertently trivialized her own travails. And then you can go do something manly together and bond forever. Except for the manly part.

Lee

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008
life is still on hold
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Monica

Lee,
You are too funny. Sometimes I wish I were a guy. Their lives seems so much simpler... Well, maybe I would skip running over the squirrel bonding thing.

Monica

Dx Nov 2003 HER2+++, ER+, PR+
1.7 cm. left breast, Grade 3, Two nodes out of six, stage IIA
Mastectomy right side
Lumpectomy left side
4 A/C, 4 Taxol plus 49 weeks herceptin
Radiation on left side
No tamoxifen or other hormonal drugs
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Barbara H.

Everyone is different!!

Ten years ago I had AC and T followed by radiation. My oncologist said that T would be easier than AC. I found it harder. Radiation was also difficult for me because I burned during the last two weeks and my skin completely peeled off. I had to wear some special pads because I my exterior skin was gone. It was painful. Nevertheless I worked through all of it, and didn't experience the fatigue that others have reported from radiation. It seemed doable because I knew treatment would end.

Stage 4 is now harder because there is no end in sight.

Everyone experiences treatment differently. I am very nervous about having this surgical lung biopsy where I need to be in the hospital for three days. I am so upset about it that I still may argue against it.

People have to understand that we say things sometimes that we might have said differently at another time. Treatment can be an emotional roller coaster.

Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
kcherub

Rhonda,

You are usually so good with words and your thoughts! I don't think you were rude, just maybe not understanding her in that moment...

Even after finishing chemo, I really thought I could not get through radiation. I hated it--worse than the chemo, but not more than the steroids. So, maybe she is just having a really hard time with it?

Knowing how caring you are, I can see that this is gonna bug you. Maybe talk to her tomorrow and tell her that you didn't mean to offend her, or to hurt her feelings. I do things like that all the time--second guess things I say and do.

It's an easy fix.

Take care,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Mary Anne in TX

Hey, Rhonda! Some time back I asked a question on a thread about something (don't even remember what) and Sandy answered me with what felt like a slap upside the head! I did the typical thing and got my feelings hurt for a couple of hours and then realized she was SO RIGHT! I was so grateful that she didn't mince words with me and told it like it was. Her information helped me make a decision and I have continued to be blessed by her response. It toughened me up a bit. And what about dealing with cancer doesn't require us to be tough. I've learned to appreciate the information I receive here and other places. Sometimes the "delivery system" is hard to hear, but always appreciated.
Talk to her. But keep being you, caring enough to confront.
You're terrific! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
RhondaH

Thank you everyone...

I'll apologize tomorrow.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
Mary Jo

.....gives Rhonda a big hug because you are special.

It takes a big person to apologize.....even when you don't think you were wrong....but you know you hurt someone else. That's the sign of a special person.

Hugs,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Becky

Or not...

I can be the devil to Marejo's angel. Who is she to complain after 7 rads. Really.... I burned to a crisp but it didn't happen until about the 4th week. And remember, I went through rads with my mom (who was diagnosed 4 months after me and had her lumpectomy during the first taxol). What the firetruck Rads are nothing without chemo too (which does cause more rads symptoms) PLUS the fact that - don't you want to be cured? You HAVE to have the rads with lumpectomy. There is NO choice for it to have the same outcome as mastectomy. I would just tell her if she isn't going to finish rads, is she going to get a mastectomy then? Otherwise her chance of local recurrence is quite high. Oh well, her problem not yours. I guess its sometimes hard to tolerate stupidity and I am on "staycation" this week too so I am having more liberty than usual.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"

Last edited by Becky; 08-06-2008 at 08:09 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
Gerri

Rhonda,

I don't think you owe her an apology. Like Mary Anne said, this could be the wake up call she needed to get her through treatment. Maybe she went back to her desk, thought about what you said, and it made her realize that if you could go through a year and a half of treatment, she could certainly hang in there and finish out her rads. Next time you see her just smile and ask how she is doing. She'll get over it. If not, then she has a whole different set of issues to deal with.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
StephN

Wink

Hi Rhonda -
Don't fret. I am with Gerri in that I don't see that a REAL apology is necessary. What is there to apologize for?

Seems to me she is upset with HERSELF for getting cancer. We all feel like rebelling at some point, don't we?

Your coworker is obviously not up to speed as to why she is getting a certain treatment pattern. Maybe she is one of those who"don't want to know - just kill it." I have a friend like that and we never talk details. Becky gave those details that this other gal may not be aware of or has forgotten with her selective memory.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #15
Margerie

Rhonda- you weren't rude. Cancer is the rude one- budding in and screwing everything up for everyone!

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:51 AM   #16
harrie

Rhonda, I don't think you were rude at all and I am sure what you said was done with the best of intentions.
Her reaction had more to do with the issues she is struggling with inside herself. Has nothing to do with you. Try not to take it personally.

When I was going thru chemo, I had an aquaintence at the gym who had told me before that her mother was dealing with cancer. One day i asked her how her mother was doing in regards to her cancer and she gave me this wierd glare and basically told me it was none of my business and (I forgot what her exact words were) and I should NOT have asked her. She said her mother does not like to disclose to her any information. She made me feel like an intruder.
Didn't bother me a whole lot. I just never realized she was so wierd.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:10 AM   #17
naturaleigh

Becky,
Rhoda never said if this girl had a lumpectomy or a mastectomy. I had a mastectomy and STILL had to go through radiation. I had bad feelings about it from the get-go and I wish more than anything I did not go through with it. I questioned it every step of the way and all my radiologist and my onc could tell me is this is what is in the literature. I was hoping to have an Ace in the hole in case I did have a recurrance. Since radiation still does not guarantee that you will not have a recurrance, I felt that if I did recur, then I would do radiation to help blast those cell to oblivion. My feelings were I had the mastectomy did the year and a half of chemo/herception. I felt great, still had lots of energy and was well on the road to recovery. The rads drained my energy from me, my lungs still hurt to the day and I my energy has yet to return.
I still think she needs to listen to her inner self and do what she feels is right for her. From what my onc always says "no ones cancer is the same" so why do they treat everyone the same?

Just my two cents about Radiation

er, pr-, Her2+++
Stage 2b, grade 3
negative nodes
4 rounds AC
3 months of weekly taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
Finish Herceptin May 2007
35 rounds of Radiation
Reconstruction completed Dec 2007
Implant replaced due to infection Mar 2008
4 Years NED!!!
naturaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:31 AM   #18
Becky

Stage 1 = no nodes so if she had a masectomy, she would not have rads. Rads with masectomy tend to be with large tumor and no nodes or 3+ nodes with a smaller tumor.

Stage 1 is always no nodes and smaller (less than 2cm) tumor so she had lumpectomy.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #19
Hopeful

This is just a tad of info for the "why" have rads after lumpectomy. A few months ago, I was reviewing a slide set from a presentation to doctors discussing rads for bc. One of the slides discussed what is a "clean margin." The answer surprised me - "clean margin" in bc surgery does NOT mean a specific boundary (i.e., 2 mm) or that no cancer is left, but rather ANY cancer left in the breast is at a level where rads will finish it off in the surgeon's opinion. I did not understand that when I had surgery, and my surgeon's practice is very good, very precise, and does not remove more of the breast than they absolutely have to. Now I know why they freaked out when I said I didn't want to do rads! (I did do them BTW, after finding a facility that could see to it that my heart was kept out of the field). Anyway, I thought I would share this in case others get asked "Why?" It is the best answer I can think of.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #20
BonnieR

I don't think that the information you were trying to impart is the issue. I just think your coworker is feeling overwhelmed and fearful and all the other emotions that we experience during this journey. And she may have been overly sensitive to your remarks because she was feeling so vulnerable. We all respond differently when in those situations...sometimes with anger.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote