HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
bwAK

Re: Newly diagnosed

You actually only asked one question! But yes, you typically receive a port when you have undergo chemotherapy. It’s not too bad of a procedure, about a 30-45 minute surgery under full anesthesia, and you’ll probably have it in you for a year (for the full duration of Herceptin). My wife has not been bothered by it for the last six months, sometimes it may itch. Regarding the surgery, it will probably seem like cake to you after finishing your major primary surgery. Based on your presented pathology, it does sounds like you will receive chemotherapy – which is good and very effective for Her2+ breast cancers! Also, way to catch it early and opting for mastectomy -- considering your strong family history of breast cancer (it sounds like a good idea to me!).
bwAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
linzer

Re: Newly diagnosed

I was dx'd the week after you. I agree that it's no fun to be "welcomed" to this club, but I've found the information and encouragement from this group to be invaluable.

I don't know whether you will *have* to get a port but I can share that I had one placed a week ago today and it wasn't a bad experience at all. I have never had a surgical procedure and was scared. It didn't hurt, and has healed nicely. I agree that it feels a bit different, and it's a bit itchy but otherwise fine. I did ask how many of these procedures my hospital did and they said 10-15 a day - so I felt like it would be done with expert hands and it was.

Good luck to you! I'm going for my second taxol tomorrow... long road ahead, but thankful there's a hopeful solution of sorts
linzer is offline   Reply With Quote