HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
Sheila

GEMZAR...any tips from those who have had it?

THere are so many sites about different chemos, but I have always found the best place to ask is right here, the women and men who have had 1st hand experience. Had my first Gemzar yesterday ...with Herceptin.....I will now be tethered to the IV pump weekly. I was shocked that I was given Decadron IV and Zofran IV before the Gemzar. I asked the nurse if it was to prevent allergic reactions, and she said no, it helps get rid of fluid buildup with Gemzar and also for nausea.....hoping I dont have to have the Decadron every time...that was the worst about Taxol! So this morning I have my bright red face, no nausea, just a little tired. My counts were not too good from the Halaven, so I will be anxious to see what the Gemzar brings....Halaven was the first drug to ever lower my counts in all these years. One nurse said hair loss is common, another said not usually......so give me the goods all you Gemzar users......hoping this will hold me for awhile!
Sending love and prayers to all who are struggling right now.....

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Rich66

Re: GEMZAR...any tips from those who have had it?

Decadron alternatives here:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...831#post214831
Some bits on Gemzar here:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ht=Gemcitabine

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: GEMZAR...any tips from those who have had it?

First of all here are some links about Decadron, including the positive and negative information about Decadron.
http://www.drugs.com/pro/decadron.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/688248
http://organizedwisdom.com/Dexamethasone
We need to remember that every drug has a positive side and a negative side since every drug, including those meant to prevent various side effects can have side effects of its own. We just have to weigh the pros and cons of everything we take.
Every time a medical professional wants to prescribe Decadron to me I refuse. Their usual excuse is to prevent nausea, so I tell them to prescribe a big bottle of anti nausea pills and forget the Decadron. I always get the pills, but I have never used any of them. It is nice to have "insurance" at home in case I need it. Ginger also works for nausea. Smile.
I also refuse Benedryl.
There are also alternatives for fluid build up and whatever else Benedryl and Decadron are supposed to do. All you have to do is ask your doctors what they are or do a search on the internet.
Good luck with the Gemzar. I really, really hope it works for you. Take care.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Jackie07

Sheila,

Below are the Gemzar users I gleaned from the 'Calling all Stage IV Sisters' thread and some abstracts I had found before (don't know where I had posted it - the second one is also on Rich's 2nd list). Hopefully these members will see this thread and respond soon.

Trish of Melbourne, Australia had used it briefly in July. 2008

radiant 2010 - went on Gemzar, Navelbine, Herceptin - Navelbine and Herceptin took liver mets down. lymph node slightly progressed.

SoCalGal 3/07 mets - lungs & sternum. Tykerb/Xeloda boo. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar boo.

CourtneyL Nov 09- April 10: Lung progression, add Gemzar to Herceptin, Zometa

Pam P 2/09 - gemzar/herceptin/zometa
March 11: Add Gemzar

Am J Clin Oncol. 2011 Jan 26. [Epub ahead of print]
Phase II Trial of Pegylated Liposomal Doxorubicin in Combination With Gemcitabine in Metastatic Breast Cancer Patients.
Jacquin JP, Chargari C, Thorin J, Mille D, Mélis A, Orfeuvre H, Clavreul G, Chaigneau L, Nourissat A, Dumanoir C, Savary J, Merrouche Y, Magné N.
Departments of*Medical Oncology ‡Public Health, Statistical Unit **Radiotherapy, Institut de Cancérologie de la Loire, St Priest en Jarez †Service of Oncology Radiotherapy, Hôpital d'Instruction des Armées du Val-de-Grâce ¶Department of Oncology Development, Laboratoire Schering Plough ♯Department of Oncology Development, Laboratoire Elli Lilly, Paris §Department of Medical Oncology, Centre Hospitalier de Bourg en Bresse, Bourg en Bresse Department of Medical Oncology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Jean Minjoz, Besançon, France.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE: To assess the efficacy and toxicity of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin combined with gemcitabine as first-line chemotherapy in metastatic breast cancer patients in a phase II trial.
PATIENTS AND METHODS: All breast cancer patients with HER2-negative status, hormone refractory tumor, assessable targets, with preserved performance status, and who had not received chemotherapy earlier as treatment for their metastatic disease were eligible. The patients received pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (30 mg/m, venous injection, day 1) concurrently with gemcitabine (1000 mg/m, venous injection, days 1 and 8), 1 cycle every 3 weeks.
RESULTS: Although 38 patients should have been included, this study was prematurely discontinued after recruiting 20 patients because of excessive toxicity: 75% of the patients experienced grade 3 or 4 treatment-related toxicity, including neutropenia, thrombopenia, hand-foot syndrome, and stomatitis, which significantly affected the quality of life. Cardiac toxicity was mild. With regard to efficacy, 50% of the patients (95% confidence interval, 26%-74%) experienced tumor response. The response rate was 40% in patients who had earlier received anthracyclines as adjuvant therapy. Median progression-free survival and median overall survival were 8.8 months and 19 months, respectively.
CONCLUSIONS: This combination was efficient, but not well tolerated. From these results, we could not recommend these doses for further assessment and lower doses should be preferred.

Med Oncol. 2011 Jan 25. [Epub ahead of print]
Safety and efficacy of gemcitabine plus cisplatin combination in pretreated metastatic breast cancer patients.
Brito LG, de Andrade JM, Lins-Almeida T, Zola FE, Pinheiro MN, Marana HR, Tiezzi DG, Peria FM.
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, School of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo University, Avenida Bandeirantes, 3900, 8th Floor, Ribeirão Preto, SP, 14048-900, Brazil, lgobrito@gmail.com.
Abstract
Metastatic breast cancers (MBC) previously treated with anthracyclines (A) and taxanes (T) have a complicated management. Gemcitabine (G)-cisplatin (C) combinations have been used as synergistic salvage therapy in MBC and are considered as another option for patients with important symptoms and aggressive visceral disease. We analyzed the safety and efficacy of GC in AT-pretreated MBC, as well as overall survival (OS) and time to progression (TTP). Forty-nine subjects received IV G 750 mg/m(2) and C 30 mg/m(2), both d1 and d8 every 3 weeks. Response evaluation was performed every second cycle and in the end of treatment. GC protocol was the first-line palliative chemotherapy in half of the cases, and median number of cycles/patient were 4(2-12). Lung (75.5%) was the most frequent site of metastasis. Most of the patients related clinical improvement with chemotherapy with minimal/mild tolerable collateral effects in 85.7% of cases. Following 34 months, mean OS/TTP was 13.12/6.6 months. Objective-responded patients (40.3%) were statistically associated with the improvement in symptoms after CT (P < 0.01), and OS was directly correlated with chemotherapy response (P < 0.01). HER-2 overexpression was a prognostic factor with reduced OS (P = 0.01). GC protocol was effective and tolerable in objective-responded patients

Med Oncol. 2010 Dec 31. [Epub ahead of print]
Gemcitabine and cisplatin salvage regimen in heavily pretreated metastatic breast cancer: a Brazilian experience.
de Lima Araújo LH, Moitinho MV, Silva AM, Gomes CA, Noronha Júnior H.
Hospital de Câncer III, Instituto Nacional de Câncer (INCA), Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil, laraujo@inca.gov.br.
Abstract
Gemcitabine and cisplatin combination (Gem-Cis) is a commonly used regimen in metastatic breast cancer (MBC), with proven activity in phase II trials. It is mostly used as a salvage regimen for progressive disease refractory to anthracyclines and taxanes, and when liver dysfunction secondary to liver metastasis precludes these drugs. Retrospective review of medical charts was conducted for patients treated with Gem-Cis for MBC in a single institution in Brazil between January 2004 and July 2007. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the outcomes and toxicity of Gem-Cis in a broad indication, including patients with deteriorated performance status (PS) and liver dysfunction, which were excluded from clinical trials. Fifty-six patients were included. Median age was 52 years, 46.4% were hormone-receptor negative, 57.2% received 3 or more prior chemotherapy lines, and 34 had liver metastasis. The median overall survival (OS) was 7.6 months, the median progression-free survival was 3.3 months, and the response rate was 21.2%. In variable analysis, PS was significantly associated with OS, even after adjusting to other factors. Toxicities included grades 3 or 4 anemia in 19.3%, neutropenia in 21.1%, and thrombocytopenia in 12.3%. Gem-Cis was a relatively active combination in this population that typically carries a poor prognosis. The subgroup of patients with favorable PS experienced longer survival, even when liver metastasis and hepatic dysfunction were a concern. Toxicity was manageable and it was not correlated with PS or liver dysfunction.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 07-13-2011 at 03:22 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
Adriana Mangus

Hi Sheila,

I was on gemzar for awhile, at this time I can't recall having side effects. I no longer keep a diary of the meds I'm on. I will be seeing my oncologist in August--and will ask him, he has excellent memory!

In the meantime, please take it easy.

With Love,

Adriana
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Chelee

Hi Shelia,
I've never been on Gemzar. However my Mother had advanced lung cancer and was on it for a while. She was 77 yrs old at the time and I was amazed--she handled it quite well. She had very few SE's from it. She did have mild nausea for a few days...but not bad. It did affect her appetite a little bit...but ate well regardless. Other then that it seemed to be a very tolerable chemo to do. She did have some fatigue a few days but it would pass. Her hair gradually started thinning out very slowly! We kept thinking maybe she wouldn't lose it all? She had to have WBR--had she not had that I think it might of just thinned out a bit? My Mother had other health issues so I was really worried about her starting chemo. Over all she just did great on Gemzar. So I don't think you of all ppl will have many problems? At least I hope not. I hope it kicks butt on your cancer and causes you little to no problems at all.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
Jackie07

Darlene Denise also has had Gemzar.

11/11/09 GEMZAR/HERCEPTIN FOR LIVER PROGRESSION

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
Delaney

Red face Re: GEMZAR...any tips from those who have had it?

Hi Sheila,
I've been on Gemzar since March 14 this year. I hate the red face but thankfully it goes after a day or so. The fluid retention is becoming a problem now, I was ok up to this week, so I must do a search and see what can be done. Gemzar is not affecting my hair, thats growing back after wbr. My appetite isnt great but I eat when I can. Hopefully someone else will have some good tips. Hope this chemo works well for you.
Lung mets shrinking.
Back on Herceptin with T/X. Partial response.
Skin mets progressing. Radiation scheduled mid february 2011.
Spot found on hip - radiation to hip beginning mid February 2011.
Now trying Gemzar/Tyverb/Herceptin and Zometa.
CT scan Feb 2011 - lung clear!
Brain mets (specks) - radiation mid Feb.
Brain Scan June'11 - Clear
CT Scan June'11 - Good - skin met active - watch and wait.
Surgery to remove skin met. Surgery to back 2012, four titanium rods inserted. Skin mets reappear. On Navelbine, not working. 4 week washout, start Myocet for skin and lung mets August 2012. Brain scan clear despte intermittent blurry vision (something hiding? Am suspicious but hopeful. )On we go, glad to be here.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
Unregistered

I never have Decadron with Abraxane even though it is standardly prescribed. I agree it is best avoided if possible. It turns me into an impulsive and agitated monster. My friend is on Gemzar for ovarian cancer and her hair has thinned but is still looking good with judicious styling. I hope you cope ok with the weekly schedule. It certainly is an impost on your precious time. All the best
Trish