HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Belinda

Sad News-Jane McGrath

Jane McGrath was well known here in Australia, especially to Australian women with BC. She was an extraordinary young English woman who fell in love with and married an Australian Cricket legend, Glen McGrath.

Jane passed away today. She was 42, with a young family. She was initially diagnosed at 31, then had recurrences in hip and brain in 2006, at which time she found she was HER2. Her death is said to be due to post-surgery complications and a sudden decline in the past week.

This is such terrible news for her family, and for the tens of thousands of Australian women for whom she has been a public and glowing beacon of hope.

Jane and Glen established the McGrath foundation, which raises funds for BC and especially funding for breast care nurses.

A newspaper article can be found here:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...86-421,00.html

and you can see her on an Australain interview program here:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/...s/s1115161.htm

Such sad and devastating news.

Bx
  • Diagnosed 3 Jan 2007, Stage IIb, Mastectomy and axillary clearance 10 Jan 07, 6 of 19 nodes affected, multi-focal cancer, HER2 positive. Second mastectomy (prophylactic). Chemo - AC 3 months, Taxol 3 months - then radiation 5 weeks.
  • Aug 2011 - Diagnosed with Stage IV mets to lung, sternum and 12 or so thoracic nodes - Rads to Sternum, then weekly abraxane and herceptin for 12 weeks.
  • May 2012- good scans - all nodes still about normal size, hole in sternum repairing, lung tumour 'obliterated'.
    Ongoing herceptin every 3 weeks. Bloods still all good! Life good!
  • March 2013 - recurrence - tumours in lungs and mediastinum (coughing up blood) - immediate radiation treatment to right lung and mediastinum, still on Herceptin, and 3 months of Vinoralbine - stable for a little while!
  • Coughing and breathlessness started again September 2013, treated as radiation-induced fibrosis (which can be seen on scans - albeit stable). ie puffers, steroids
  • January 2014 - cough becomes bloody again, scans show big mediastinal tumour wrapped around and choking the life out of my right main bronchus, radiation deemed off limits as my lungs are hypersensitive to radiation (measured by existing damage from 2013) .....................- ie I am in the 5% of people likely to suffer severe radiation damage to the lungs that they warn you about before starting treatment! (so special! :) )
  • Started chemo Feb 2014 - continuing Herceptin (continuous since Aug 2011), with Carboplatin and Gemcitabine. Discontinued Gemcitabine because of se's. Starting cycle 5 Herc/Carbo 5 May 2014.
  • Meantime.....coughing and breathlessness increased to SCARY levels with racing heartbeat that won't slow down, breath that won't come back, even just walking to the bathroom or up 3 or 4 steps.
  • ICU from May 5 2014, collapsed right lung due to tumour, small pulmonary embolism (left), tumours growing in mediastinum left and right, dvt lower right leg
  • Plan seems to be bronchoscope next week to see if tumour can be lasered and stent inserted in right bronchus to reopen air access to lower parts of right lung. If that is successful might be able to have brachytherapy to worst tumour, otherwise no more options for external radiotherapy.
Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
kcherub

Belinda,

I actually just read about her death on another site and was coming here to see if anything was posted. What a hopeful family, and what a sad loss. I know that their foundation (I checked out the website) has and will help so many women. What a wonderful legacy...

I wondered what her initial diagnosis was, and whether or not she was HER2+. I know we all do a lot of "what ifs" around here (and out here)...did she ever receive Herceptin?

Take care,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Becky

She may have received Herceptin when she recurred but she could not have received Herceptin when diagnosed as it was prior to November, 1998 when Herceptin was FDA approved for metastatic disease in the USA (the first country to approve it). Herceptin is re-writing the Her2+ bc prognosis. Jane's recurrence after almost 10 yrs is rare and not the norm.

Do not be preoccupied by the injustice of such a recurrence as this and look forward.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
PinkGirl

Hi Belinda

It is so difficult for a country to lose the kind of inspiring
role model that Jane McGrath was.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
lexigirl

Such sad news. She looked to have a very sweet spirit about her. Praying for her family.

Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
ElaineM

Sad news

I am so sorry to hear the sad news. My sympathies to her family and friends.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Sending Hugs And Love...

I understand. It is hard not to identify. It is a tragic loss for so many.

When Dana, Christopher Reeve's suddenly died of lung cancer, I immediately called my dear friend in Chicago. She is now 4 yrs out from her initial lung dx. I told her, I know what you are thinking, but don't go there. This was an unusual and catastrophic experience. Of course she tried her best but inexplicably such shocking things can occur. To anyone, at any time.

I pray Belinda that you and those who have admired Jane so throughout the years will make peace with this sad turn of events. I send my deepest condolences. Our heroes and sheroes mean the world to us. Sending love and hugs,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...

Last edited by Andrea Barnett Budin; 06-23-2008 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: strange symbols that don'
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Roz

Jane McGrath

We are all feeling sad after Jane's death. It brings death so much closer to us as individuals. Becky, Jane was diagnosed in 1997, but did not have a recurrence until 2002. She and her well known husband appeared on a popular chat show in 2004 (I think that was the year) and she came across as a warm, funny and courageous person, as did her husband. Her funeral is today, and $200,000 have been donated by the Australian public to her foundation since her death last week. I fel very sad for all her loved ones and for her death at such a young age.
diagnosed June 03. Rt sided Inflammatory BC in rt lower quadrant. 7cm tumour. Also 3 DCIS. 3 rounds of EC, mastectomy with axillary clearance (12 nodes+ of 19). 1 more EC. 5 weeks of rads, with weekly booster to attack skin lymph involvement. 4 cycles of Taxol. Tamoxifen.Recurrence December 04, Herceptin started early Jan05,+ Arimidex.
NED 26 mths. Recurrence early Mar07. Taxol added to Herceptin. NED. Will have total of 6 cycles, then Aromisan and Herceptin. Early Oct 07, recurrence to the pesky right upper lobe, with some pleural thickening upper rt hemithorax. T/X now the treatment. May 2008, Taxatere and Herceptin for lung recurrence
Roz is offline   Reply With Quote